Horus Heresy Series? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-13, 02:28 PM

Apfeljunge's Flag is: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGuard View Post
Galaxy in Flames was utterly epic and shall not be besmurched by not being included. Its still my favorite one. Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logaan View Post
You may wish to skip Battle for the Abyss and do something more productive and fun. Playing with a landmine would be a start.

Terrible book.

Horus Rising and Descent of Angels are simply epic. Well written, engaging and entertaining.
Thats what i was talking about. Many people around here or other forums think Galaxy in Flames is kinda "meh" while others absolutely love it. Decent of Angels and especially Battle for the Abyss are only liked by rather small minorities. This doesn't mean that you (The OP) will never like them. Taste differs after all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-13, 01:39 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Read them in publication order. Quite a lot of the novels will make references back to their preceding novels. Sometimes blatant and in your face, even returning characters etc. Others may just be little throwaway comments that you could almost miss, but are quite nice to pick up on.

You'll see and actually have already seen on this thread a bit of hate generated towards Battle for the Abyss, but bad as it is, read it anyway, it does at least have two interesting characters in it.

I would however suggest putting your face into a blender over reading Fear to Tread, it would certainly convey the horror of Signus better than the abortion that is Swallows attempt.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-13, 12:15 PM

Hi,

Like others on here, I really would recommend reading the whole series in the order it was written/released. However if you want to catch up with events so you can join in when the new novels are released (and then go back up and catch up afterwards), I gave written a blog about what I consider the essential reading list. If you want to check it out, it's here: www.baddice.co.uk/heresy

Cheers,
Marcus

Blogging the Horus Heresy here

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-13, 11:47 PM

Leonardo's Flag is: England

I would read in order of publication as even though they are not published as a linear timeline I think as the series has progressed the authors take for granted that the reader knows the background and magnitude of past events.

I enjoyed Battle for the Abyss but it felt like a spin off and one that doesn't have any real incentive to read in terms of giving the reader any extra depth to the overall saga. I also preferred Fallen Angels to Descent. I loved the first 5 or six books though, read them back to back.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode