The next BA HH novel: Which authour would you prefer? - Page 9 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-02-13, 05:15 PM

Can anyone tell me what Blood in the Water is? Or will be? I assume a short story written by some clown? (Get it? Clown?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-13, 09:40 PM
piemelke's Flag is: Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead.Blue.Clown View Post
The ones that kill several hundred crew with only a handful of troops? Or the squad that corners the main characters so completely that First Claw has to beg for help?
great to see someone his testerone level is up again,
indeed the same ones that have >10K battle experience and do not know that if someone hits the coil of your plasma gun it explodes, especially when standing in group.

Quote:
The same Genesis Champion that solidly beats the whole protagonist squad to pieces and kills a main character on his own, smacking them all around like they're children? If you think Space Marines don't speak like that, you may be a fan of the wrong setting. Bombastic speeches are practically a requirement for Marine leaders.
with a thunder hammer and in termi armour, the same one that gets almost beaten to death by the bare faced xarl,
I tend to agree on the ranting however I fail to see why a brainwashed dogmatic moron should be the standard for a loyalist marine.

Quote:
The Salamanders that I wrote nothing about, except that they inflicted heavy casualties on the Night Lords' Raptor Squad, killing almost all of them, at a cost of almost no losses at all? It was also Nick's idea to have the Night Lords funnel the genestealers against the Salamanders, incidentally, because I said a single Raptor Squad and a five-man Chaos Marine squad had nothing that could kill Terminators, so the Night Lords would run away rather than fight.
again in extremely precious termi armour, the mightiest of battle armours mankind has ever made, of which they lost 6 (I think ), the NL did not come accross as winnesr, rather the loyalists as losers. Since you did not write just imagine this has been written for Nick

Quote:
The ones that First Claw are too scared to even fight properly, and hide rather than confront? Or the ones that even Talos and First Claw admire, and are jealous of, because of how Codex Marines fight so well, protecting each other and knowing what "loyalty" means?
the ones cannot chose and split up their fist company and get massacred,
the ones where one of their mighty marines attacks Huron with a (thunder ?) hammer and really impresses everyone, again it is not that the NL came accross as the chuck norris of the SM, rather the loyalists are total cunts

do not get me wrong, I really appriate your writing and your integrity and all (was that overdone ?), you set a new level for the SM books (the discussion between Talos and Abaddon was about the best I read) and especially giving them maturaty, I am just jealous that none of the loyalist chapers gets a similar treatment in your books (although Dan balances this a little with the wolves and the UM), I realise there are plenty of books where loyalists are depicted as super heroes, but in > 90 % of all cases these books are utter crap, the chaos SM you write about are just a lot lot lot more likable and reachable compared to your loyalists.
post #83 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-06-13, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemelke View Post
great to see someone his testerone level is up again,
Dude, I still love you for that reference a year ago. And I still owe you a beer for it.

post #84 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-06-13, 02:24 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Going back to the Blood Angels and who writes them next. My only real concern is who writes about the IX Legion during the Siege of Terra. In particular, the moment where they arrive onto the walls. I really hope it remains mostly along the lines of the story from way back(by William King) as seen here:
Quote:
For a moment all was silence, then Angron strode forth. In his brazen voice he demanded that the loyalists surrender. He told them that their cause was hopeless, as they faced a foe which could not be defeated. They were cut off, outnumbered, and defending a ruler too weak to be worthy of their loyalty. In that moment the men on the walls felt their resolve weaken. Looking at the transformed face of the Primarch who had once been one of the Emperor's finest warriors, they saw an invincible, relentless foe backed by a numberless horde and all the daemonic might of Chaos.

There was a clamour on the walls as Sanguinius and the Blood Angels arrived. Standing on the wall, the angel-winged Primarch glared on Angron with angry contempt. For long moments their gazes locked, each Primarch seemed to be measuring the other, searching for chinks in the armour, for any sign of weakness and lack of resolve. Who knows what they saw there? Perhaps they communicated telepathically, brother Primarch to brother Primarch. The truth will never be known. Eventually Angron turned and walked back to his lines. He told his troops that there would be no surrender; they should kill everyone they found within the palace. No stone should be left upon stone.
In my head that's a absurdly epic scene, and in some alternate reality where 40k is massively mainstream, It's one of those scenes I would love to see in a big budget live action film(again, in some alternate reality sadly).

And more importantly, when Sanguinius is holding the Ultimate Gate alone as all remaining loyalists who can pull back, followed of course by the legendary second duel with Ka'Bandha.

Ideally I'd like to see it written by ADB, in large due to the small, yet excellent glimpse in Aurellian. I'd also be more than happy with Abnett or failing that Chris Wraight. They are the three who I personally see as the best writers so far for the Heresy series and BL in large. Mcneill would also be a strong choice, I know a lot of people aren't fond of him, but so far he's written three Primarch vs Primarch duels and they've all been pretty damn good, so I think he could also do the Sanguinius vs Ka'Bandha fight very well.
post #85 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-06-13, 04:09 PM
piemelke's Flag is: Belgium

Quote:
Dude, I still love you for that reference a year ago. And I still owe you a beer for it.
whenever you are in the 'bucolic' Belgium let us know and we will submerge you in beer that will give Grimnar a delirium
post #86 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-07-13, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemelke View Post
with a thunder hammer and in termi armour, the same one that gets almost beaten to death by the bare faced xarl,
I tend to agree on the ranting however I fail to see why a brainwashed dogmatic moron should be the standard for a loyalist marine.
Actually, the Genesis champion was wearing regular power armour. He simply had a crux terminatus on his shoulder pad (signifying that he had the privilege to wear terminator armour).

What annoyed me about that fight was that yes, the Genesis champion dominated, but he ended up killing only one NL: Xarl. Yes, he knocked his enemies onto the ground while spouting dogma, but he never finished any of them. Instead, he got headbutted into submission by a bareheaded Xarl before being brutally eviscerated. It wasn't even a satisfying mutual kill because Xarl only died later of his wounds (probably self-inflicted while headbutting the champion's helmet with his bare head).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
Ideally I'd like to see it written by ADB, in large due to the small, yet excellent glimpse in Aurellian. I'd also be more than happy with Abnett or failing that Chris Wraight. They are the three who I personally see as the best writers so far for the Heresy series and BL in large. Mcneill would also be a strong choice
Agreed except for McNeill. He's really hit or miss in my opinion...and I only say hit or miss because of A Thousand Sons. Everything else written by him has been a major miss so far. I hope to the Emperor that James Swallow doesn't get the job. Nothing against the bloke personally, but I just can't stand his style of writing.

After reading Brotherhood of the Storm, I think Wraight might do an even better job than Abnett. Abnett's writing seems to have more grit than grandeur. Sanguinius at the Eternity Gate should read like an epic scene out of the Iliad. I feel that Abnett's style would be to modern.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode