Which BL authors do you think are really hit or miss? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-16-12, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemelke View Post
I also think ADB has his better and worse moments, to be honest I think his book from a loyalist space marine perspective were not that great (Hellsreach was still way above par in the SMB series), the emperor's gift was not that great but hey Matt did not give him a present with the super excellent GK codex. To be honest I do not think he is a loyalist kinda guy all his portraits of loyalist are as naive cunts (which they probably are) it seems he has it for the dramatic though tormented guy (who he kills off in the end Talos, Sevatar) with a lot of funny comments.
For me prince of crows was his worst yet, still better than average but I had the feeling I was watching an american movie (piggybacking a space flyer wtf ??)
I don't want this turning into a circle-jerk but I couldn't agree more

ADB's loyalist SM work is still above average, but pretty poor compared to his better CSM stuff (NL mostly). I did enjoy his Flesh Tearers short story a lot, but the Crimson Fist one was mediocre, as was The Emperor's Gift, in part because it smacked of SW/Logan Grimnar wank (but wasn't the only reason). Helsreach was good but not great.

Prince of Crows was nice. We now know Sevatar has speedhax and a witticism for any situation. I enjoyed it for the most part.

I don't think ADB is a "hit or miss" for me because he never misses by that much. The man can write, no doubt about it. McNeill and Kyme on the other hand...sometimes they can write well...sometimes they're utter shite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-16-12, 02:51 AM

Hachiko's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontytheMighty View Post
I don't think ADB is a "hit or miss" for me because he never misses by that much. The man can write, no doubt about it.
Also, lest we forget, Cadian Blood. Damn good and fun Imperial Guard novel.
post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-16-12, 03:23 AM

cheeto's Flag is: USA

Graham McNeill. I was all into painting little led models and reading White Dwarf when I was a teenager and I never knew Warhammer was releasing books until a few years ago I recognized the Warhammer 40k emblem out of the corner of my eye while looking for something to read for a trans pacific flight...

My first 40k book was The Killing Ground. It was only out of morbid curiosity that I picked up my next 40k book which was Eisenhorn. Thank God for Abnett. After Abnett I was solidly sold on 40k books.

The Killing ground was atrocious. Not all of the books in the UltraMarines series were bad, a few even pretty good but mostly misses for me. There is just something kinda McGoo about his writing style that is a huge let down for me but I still pick up his books anyway.

There is one author that I just can't bring myself to read again but the thread was hit or miss, not worst author in the black library...

post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-16-12, 05:07 AM
Craw-Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
Graham McNeils work reminds me a bit of an african diamond mine worker having a shit. A lot of it is brown dribbly smelly stuff you rather don't want to go rooting around in, but you know you "must" so as not to miss out anything, but once a while, you do come across a gem. And then having been caught, he produces his brown dribbly smelly stuff.
LOL! So true! Storm of Iron and the first couple books in the Ultramarine series were pretty good, but he pretty much lured both fans into his series of pretty terrible novels. The Ultramarines series went no where with Uriel pwning nubes left and right. We get it Mr. McNeil he's your version of Draigo. The Iron Warrior series was completely ruined.

He's like the bald dude in the parking lot who offers two boys nice pieces of candy and tells them there's a lot more in the trunk.
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Gav Thorpe can be quite good sometimes. Other times not so much. Swallow isn't a hit or miss for me as he's always been a miss
post #16 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 02:55 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Something to consider here is how much is the author and how much is the editor? Additionally, how much of the stories are required or controlled by GW's corporate vision for the franchise?

I'm willing to wager that the black library team needs better editors. In novel production, editing isn't just cruising t's and during i's but also helping to vet content and writing and telling the author, "this is bad" "this thing needs to change" etc.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #17 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 03:27 AM

Diatribe1974's Flag is: USA

When Abnett writes about Gaunt's Ghosts, I feel like I'm staring into the abyss, slowly losing myself into the madness within. As a result, I struggle to finish anything concerning it. But the moment he writes anything non-GG, I absolutely love it.

post #18 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 04:29 AM
Craw-Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontytheMighty View Post
Gav Thorpe can be quite good sometimes. Other times not so much. Swallow isn't a hit or miss for me as he's always been a miss
I actually liked Angels of Darkness. His books can be written pretty well, I just believe his novels spark up quite a bit of controversy. Even Angels of Darkness was met with A LOT of controversy. Granted, I read his novels the same time I started reading the series a bit back. So I guess I kind of thought every Black Library author was competent.

But one thing is for sure about Gav Thorpe, he is very into introducing new fluff. I have heard people call it updates or something of that sort, but really, its actually forged from a fact mixed with a bunch of nothingness.

In Dark Angels, he used the Dark Angel's secrecy against them. In Deliverance Lost he uses the one fact that the Raven Guards destroyed themselves by tampering with their geneseed into something completely different.
post #19 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 10:32 AM
piemelke's Flag is: Belgium

Angels of darkness was his best book so far, at least from my perspective,
deliverance lost I did not like that at all, he was not able to give the RG an identity except that they got their arses kicked a lot,
also here the AL came as the drago of legions
and here goes the circle
I do not like Swallow, the abyss book was ok, but what he did to the BA is unforgivable, I read one short story from Andy and that was already heaps better
post #20 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 12:00 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Can't believe so many people don't like Gaunts Ghosts. I rate it as probably one of the best series I've ever read, with Sabbat Martyr coming right up as one of the best books I've read.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode