Hardbooks. Which ones will you get? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Craw-Daddy

Default Hardbooks. Which ones will you get?

I just wanted to know if I'm crazy buying Horus Rising for 30 bucks. I was going to chose this one of the three because its one of my top five Heresy Novels. But do you think 30 bucks is worth it in terms of purchasing it?

I don't know. I'm hoping for someone to either stop me or persuade me. If I start getting the hardbooks, I'm pretty much just going to get my top five. And from there select hard books the get on my top give as the Heresy comes along.

How about you guys? Are you guys going to change your whole collection? Maybe just your top books? Maybe just one or two?

As I see it I will be getting these five when they come out:

1. Horus Rising
2. Fulgrim
3. The First Heretic
4. Angel Exterminatus
5. ???? (We shall see)

In truth, I was going to put my original top five, but to be honest, even though they were my top five I don't think they are all worth 30 bucks. Angel Exterminatus I hope will be in my top five. I just wanted the book early. So we'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 08:20 AM

Brother Subtle's Flag is: Australia

I'm getting all of them. That's 23 x $45 AUS = $1,035 AUS / 668 / $1,073 USD just to get upto date! Am I mad? Probably! But since I stopped modifying cars (v8) as a hobby I'm suddenly flush with play money! Cars are an EXPENSIVE hobby! I dropped $7,000 alone in mods (exhaust, suspension, tune) on my SS just last financial year!!! What a waste of money, in hindsight.

Plus I love hardback books. Always have. I'm also currently tracking down all the seperate Ravenor books in hardcover, like new condition, 1st editions. Costing me about $45-50 a pop from the states.

Last edited by Brother Subtle; 10-25-12 at 08:23 AM.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 08:33 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Going to try and get them all, one at a time.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-12, 04:33 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I'm a squaddie with no dependants and living on camp, and as a result have far too much disposable income, that 20 will go on a night out(well extend one more to the point where I can't remember it) anyway, so I'll be getting them all. I originally said I would just get my favourites, but then that little OCD that everyone has inside would just annoy the shit out of me when I don't have them all. So yeah, massive waste of money? Probably, but again, I'm not going to be saving that anyway so may as well.

Edit: Oh and theres also the part where they said(concerning future novels) that the hardback editions would be released 3 months before paperback or something, and I'm far to impatient to wait 3 months when I could get it sooner.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-12, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Craw-Daddy

Wow. Thats pretty cool. If anyone wants to donate money to the center for ckcrawford's who can't read very well and other stuff, let me know.

I'm pretty jealous. But the WHOLE SERIES?!! No objective books you may not wish to include? I can think of a few that would make me barf. Especially since Black Library maybe making more expensive cool things.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-12, 09:24 AM

Brother Subtle's Flag is: Australia

Look, don't get me wrong. Spending $45 on a hardcover of BftA is going to hurt. As it sucked. But you can't have 23+ matching hardcovers all in a nice line, but then 1 stinking paperback stuck in the middle now can you.

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-12, 01:35 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Exactly. I'll hate myself as I buy BftA, but you can't leave a gap in the collection.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-12, 04:41 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Subtle View Post
Look, don't get me wrong. Spending $45 on a hardcover of BftA is going to hurt. As it sucked. But you can't have 23+ matching hardcovers all in a nice line, but then 1 stinking paperback stuck in the middle now can you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
Exactly. I'll hate myself as I buy BftA, but you can't leave a gap in the collection.
Sirs. You speak my words verbatim.

I'll wait until December to start ordering them, just spent 80 on AC III and Halo 4 and don't feel like spending that much again until I have some more cash. But I will definitely be getting them all, hardbacks are superior to paperbacks in every way. According to Shadowhawk on the bolthole, who apparantely had it from Andy Smilie, the hardbacks can be considered a non-limited direct exclusive, they'll always be available. Plus if they were limited we would have been told and we haven't.

But if I had to choose only a few of them i'd get the following,

1. Fear to Tread
2. Know No Fear
3. The First Heretic
4. A Thousand Sons
5. Fulgrim

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-12, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Craw-Daddy

What do you guys think you'll do with you're paperbacks?

Based on what people said so far, it would be interesting if BL makes it so that the hardbook comes out first and forces people to order that first.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-12, 11:18 PM

Diatribe1974's Flag is: USA

I'll buy the new books as they come out, but I've got too many (so far) in paperback that I'm simply not going to replace as hardcovers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode