Horus Heresy blog - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-12, 07:22 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I posted in the 40k fluff board regarding this but I'll go on here again for the relevance. What I imagine Phoebus is getting at, is that the Lion is discovered in Decent of Angels and then an unspecified but likely a short amount of time passes to when we next see him in charge of his Legion, taking over from the White Scars. Without the book to hand I can't be sure, but I'm relatively certain that it indicated this is one of their first, if not their first campaign since the Lions discover, I seem to some thoughts or conversation regarding how young they still are to the crusade compared to the White Scars, again need the book.

Either way Fallen Angels then takes place fifty years after the end of Decent of Angels, and the Heresy is now in motion. In The First Heretic, the incident on Monarchia happens fifty years before the start of the Heresy, and by this point it's fairly apparent that Lorgar has been in command of his Legion and on the Great Crusade for some time now, certainly not new.

From this we can quite comfortably say that Lorgar was discovered many years, probably at least a few decades before the Lion was.

Which also puts any Primarch discovered after the Lion as being found within the last fifty years of the Great Crusade. Personally I think this was the author not really thinking about how the fifty years between the two novels would effect the founding of the other Primarchs, as some of them will have taken part in very little of the Crusade before the Heresy broke out. Think the time needs to be scaled back at bit more, but well, what can you do.

Last edited by Angel of Blood; 11-28-12 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-12, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, appreciate you taking the time to post up.

Adding the years into my theorising is something I have only done recently. Like you I had discounted the years reference in Fallen Angels (I also did this with Ferrus' 200 years of war, and the World Eater not having seen Angron for 100 years in Outcast Dead) as being incautious use of time by the authors. It seems to me, they have tightened up on that sort of thing now - both Brotherhood of the Storm and Angel Exterminatus seem more realistic. However, when adding years back in, I missed this. So I guess I need to revise my list again.

Bugger! But thank you.

Cheers,
Marcus

Blogging the Horus Heresy here
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-12, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
I posted in the 40k fluff board regarding this but I'll go on here again for the relevance. What I imagine Phoebus is getting at, is that the Lion is discovered in Decent of Angels and then an unspecified but likely a short amount of time passes to when we next see him in charge of his Legion, taking over from the White Scars. Without the book to hand I can't be sure, but I'm relatively certain that it indicated this is one of their first, if not their first campaign since the Lions discover, I seem to some thoughts or conversation regarding how young they still are to the crusade compared to the White Scars, again need the book.

Either way Fallen Angels then takes place fifty years after the end of Decent of Angels, and the Heresy is now in motion. In The First Heretic, the incident on Monarchia happens fifty years before the start of the Heresy, and by this point it's fairly apparent that Lorgar has been in command of his Legion and on the Great Crusade for some time now, certainly not new.

From this we can quite comfortably say that Lorgar was discovered many years, probably at least a few decades before the Lion was.

Which also puts any Primarch discovered after the Lion as being found within the last fifty years of the Great Crusade. Personally I think this was the author not really thinking about how the fifty years between the two novels would effect the founding of the other Primarchs, as some of them will have taken part in very little of the Crusade before the Heresy broke out. Think the time needs to be scaled back at bit more, but well, what can you do.
This is all true. I also agree that Scanlon was not thinking. Some of the details in this book have already been changed so I don't think too much notice should be taken on the timeline in this book. For example Decent of Angels has Luther being sent back home after one campaign, this has been changed to him fighting in many campaigns before being sent back. I suspect the timing of the Lion's discovery will also be changed.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-12, 04:22 AM

I will definitely support this blog ;)
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-12, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Thank you :-)

Cheers,
Marcus

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-30-12, 04:57 PM

Alhom's Flag is: France

Really nice last post!
Keep it up, good work dude.

"For The Emperor."
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-12, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Posted another blog tonight, Whispers from the Warp, covering some new stuff due out and a few rumours/bits of information from the twittersphere!

Cheers,
Marcus

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-13, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Just posted a new blog, a review of Betrayer by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

It's my first book review, so I welcome any feedback (please be gentle).

Cheers,
Marcus

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-13, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

New blog post up. It's all about how new readers to the Horus Heresy series can quickly catch up by reading specific 'key' novels. Hopefully will be useful to people trying to get into the series. You can catch it here www.baddice.co.uk/heresy

Cheers,
Marcus

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-13, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

It's been a while since I've updated this, and then what do you know, 3 updates in a couple of weeks! Pop over and give it a read if you feel like it www.baddice.co.uk/heresy

Cheers!

Cheers,
Marcus

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode