ADB on Wolves attacking another Legion - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-07-12, 12:49 PM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

Maybe they just gave them a bit of a telling off and made them sit on the naughty throne for 5 minutes until they said sorry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-07-12, 02:07 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Warning, this is conjecture:

To me, that quote sounds like it may have been spoken by Khârn. Based on his previous claim -
Quote:
"Because we couldn't be trusted. The Emperor needed a weapon that would never obey its own desires before those of the Imperium. He needed a weapon that would never bite the hand that feeds. The World Eaters were not that weapon. We've all drawn blades purely for the sake of shedding blood, and we've all felt the exultation of winning a war that never even needed to happen. We are not the tame, reliable pets that the Emperor needed. The Wolves obey, when we would not. The Wolves can be trusted, when we never could. They have a discipline we lack, because their passions are not aflame with Butcher's Nails buzzing in the back of their skulls.

The Wolves will always come to heel when called. In that regard, it is a mystery why they name themselves wolves. They are tame, collared by the Emperor, obeying his every whim. But a wolf doesn't behave that way. Only a dog does.

The moment we realised that truth, we changed our Legion's name. That is why we are the Eaters of Worlds, and the War Hounds no longer."

– Eighth Captain Kharn, when asked why the Space Wolves consider themselves the Emperor's "Executioners"
- It sounds like something he would say. Of course I could be completely wrong.

It is also not clear if it is in reference to one (or both) of the Lost Legions, or another. The World Eaters themselves perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Don't get your tails into too tight of knots; it could very easily just be some brilliant authorial trolling. And even if it were to make it into Betrayer, pass the editorial cuts and be approved by GW, we'd still have precious little info apart from "the Lost Legions had to be destroyed and the Wolves have been let slip (after crying Havoc! one must assume) in their self-appointed role before.
I think it's safe to assume that this will feature in Betrayer. All of Aaron's previous hints/teasers/revelations have done so in his other works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 09-07-12 at 02:09 PM.
post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-07-12, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well the quote states the wolves got beat, if it was simply a telling off, I don't think it would be put that way. Depending on your interpretation I can see this quote meaning two things.

1) The wolves where set upon one of the lost legions, but the wolves got the hell kicked out of them.

2) The wolves where sent to shake up a legion, similiar to the way the Emperor and the Ultramarines put the Word Bearers in their place, but instead the targeted legion kick the wolves in the balls and sent them away.

I think it would be more interesting for it to be the first as well as a lot more plausible seeing as either way the Space Wolves did get beat and if it was a known legion who did it, they wouldn't of been seen the way they are by the other legions.

I seem to remember that a legion had more than just the space wolves to contend with, wasn't it in first heretic where the word bearers where also involved in it?

post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-07-12, 02:56 PM

ADB, in other posts on other forums has had an issue with how SW's were depicted or interpreted in Prospero Burns. I think this is his way of bringing the "Emperor's Executioner's" motif to heel.

That said, just like in "Prospero Burns" the "Emperor's Executioners" comment is from the viewpoint from the Wolves or from someone else studying the wolves, a lot of the statement could be wrapped in opinion from the person providing their opinion. ( I assume it's Kharn)
post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-07-12, 07:24 PM

post #16 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-07-12, 07:51 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead.Blue.Clown View Post
It's not about a Lost Legion.
The plot thickens...

Personally I think it sounds like it may be the World Eaters, but I guess we'll have to wait to find out, assuming we will find out at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #17 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-07-12, 07:55 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
The plot thickens...

Personally I think it sounds like it may be the World Eaters, but I guess we'll have to wait to find out, assuming we will find out at all.
That is what I thought when I first read it this morning. The way Kharn says it, I assume that it is him saying it, sounds like its personal. Like its not just something he heard about second-hand, that quote has a fire to it that makes me think whomever spoke it was a part of the event and he speaks of it with pride and contempt. I do think that it means the Space Wolves tried to execute the World Eaters and failed.

Anybody else get that feeling?

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 09-07-12 at 08:07 PM.
post #18 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-07-12, 07:56 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Oh, that DOES interest me! I happily renounce all claims of authorial trolling going on! Now this, this could have some depth...

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #19 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-07-12, 08:00 PM

March of Time's Flag is: Great Britain

I think it must be the Night Lords that kicked the Wolves ass
post #20 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-07-12, 08:11 PM

VixusKragov's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead.Blue.Clown View Post
It's not about a Lost Legion.
Always nice to have the author themselves on the forum to clear things up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode