A BL Ranking System Proposal - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-12, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Default A BL Ranking System Proposal

For all of us that are interested whether a book is good (well-respected among the Heresy community) or not, but donít want to read a ton of spoilers/ trawl through 150 pages of the Currently Reading thread, I thought a thread like this could prove useful.

It works as follows: consider all (or most of, whatever) the BL works youíve finished or done your best to finish. Then rank each of them on a 1-4 scale, with 1 being a strongly negative reaction, 2 being negative, 3 being positive and 4 being strongly positive. Ideally, with a significant sample size, this should provide a Rotten Tomatoes-like ranking.

Two notes:
* As you read more, please post a new post rather than edit the existing one.
* Please don't insult other people's opinions (formerly This Isn't for Discussion, but that won't work).

And hereís my ranking:

Novels:

4: Fulgrim, Shadow King, Caledor, Battle of the Fang, Knight of the Blazing Sun, Path of the Renegade, The Emperorís Gift

3: Flight of the Eisenstein, Legion, Malekith, Sons of Dorn, Firedrake, Fall of Damnos, Atlas Infernal, Nocturne, Deliverance Lost, Wrath of Iron

2: Storm of Iron, Salamander, Path of the Warrior

1: Defenders of Ulthuan, Sons of Ellyrion

Novellas & shorts:

4: The Relic (Green), The Last Remembrancer (French), Little Horus (Abnett), The Iron Within (Sanders), The Reflection Crackíd (McNeill), The Serpent Beneath (Sanders)

3: Fires of War (Kyme), Hell Night (Kyme), Runes (Wraight), Sacrifice (Counter), Forgotten Sons (Kyme), Rebirth (Wraight), Feat of Iron (Kyme), The Lion (Thorpe)

2: Prometheus Requiem (Kyme), Rules of Engagement (McNeill), The Face of Treachery (Thorpe)

1: Liarís Due (Swallow), Savage Weapons (Dembski-Bowden)

(Slightly embarrassing to admit how little I've read....)

Renegades Saga contributions
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...tions-cry.html)
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...s-scarlet.html)
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...lesh-weak.html)
The Emperor has turned to Chaos. The dream of the Imperium has become a nightmare. But Horus and his Coalition stand against the dark, here at the end of time.

Lorgar's Betrayal
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...te-heresy.html)
What was broken has been mended. And what was burned away can never be reforged.

Last edited by VulkansNodosaurus; 08-07-12 at 10:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-12, 05:06 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

Ok, I ll give it a try. I will not list short stories separately, and I really haven't read them outside antologies.

4: Horus Rising, Fulgrim, Thousand Sons, Prospero Burns,First Heretic, Know no Fear, Soul Hunter, Blood Reaver, Void Stalker, Storm of Iron, Xenos, Malleus, Hereticus, Ciaphas Cain first omninus, Ciaphas Cain second omnibus, Battle of the Fang

3: False Gods, Galaxy in Flames, Flight of the Eisenstein, Legion, Outcast Dead, Deliverance Lost, Age of Darkness, Primarchs, Hellsreach, Wraith of Iron, Gildar Rift, Fall of Damnos, Firedrake, Trollslayer, SkavenSlayer, Daemonslayer

2:Salamander, Legion of The Damned, Descent of Angels, Fallen Angels, Emperor's Gift, Blood Gorgons

1: Nocturne

PS: Maybe system with more grades would work better, I prefer rankings with more than 5 grades, and 4 is quite low. 1-10 or 1-5 with steps of 0.5 would be better IMO.

Last edited by Fire Tempered; 08-07-12 at 05:13 PM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-12, 05:33 PM

Designation P-90's Flag is: USA

Emperor's Gift as a 2? What book were you reading?

Praise to the Machine God

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-12, 05:55 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designation P-90 View Post
Emperor's Gift as a 2? What book were you reading?
I haven't read the book myself, and I know its widely liked but not every book by ADB is for everyone. Though he hasn't disappointed me yet, there might come a time when he might.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-12, 06:01 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ok then let's do this.

Novels/Audios

5. Void Stalker.

4. Blood Reaver, Soul Hunter, The Emperor's Gift, Fear to Tread, Know No Fear, The First Heretic, A Thousand Sons.

3. Blood Gorgons, Dark Creed, Dark Apostle, Dark Disciple, Deliverance Lost, Fulgrim, Path of the Renegade, Wrath of Iron, Legion of the Damned.

2. Gaunt's Ghosts, Battle for the Abyss, Malediction, The Purging of Kadillus.

1. Warrior Coven (Lore-wise), Dead Men Walking.

Novellas/Shorts

4. Prince of Crows, Savage Weapons, The Masters, Bidding, Iron Inferno.

3. The Crimson Fist, Vox Dominus, Trial of the Mantis Warriors, Black Dawn, The Core.

2. Sacrifice.

1. The Long War.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 08-07-12 at 06:04 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-12, 06:28 PM
HOGGLORD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: That place, you know. That place you went to that one time, surely you remember?

4: Horus Rising, Decent of Angels, Ciaphas Cain Hero of the Imperium (I've got the omnibus, can't remember which one's are which.
3: False Gods, Rynn's World, Imperial Glory
2: Assault on Black Reach, Helsreach, The Gildar Rift
1:

I'm not as critical as others seem to have, I havent yet found a book I disliked from BL, but I haven't read too many.

I'd find it easier if it was out of 5 too. If that was the case it would be the follwing:

5: Horus Rising, Decent of Angels, Ciaphas Cain Hero of the Imperium
4: False Gods, Rynn's World
3: Imperial Glory, The Gildar Rift
2: Assault on Black Reach, Helsreach
1:

(I do read a lot more than this, but few are the BL books.)

Last edited by HOGGLORD; 08-07-12 at 06:31 PM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-12, 06:33 PM

Brother Subtle's Flag is: Australia

Storm of Iron a 2?! Wow... Just wow.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-12, 07:03 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Tempered View Post

2:Salamander, Legion of The Damned, Descent of Angels, Fallen Angels, Emperor's Gift, Blood Gorgons

1: Nocturne
Regarding the bolded entries,

Are you mad? Nocturne I get you either love or hate but The Emperor's Gift?! Legion of the Damned?! Blood Gorgons?! Those three are great, the first is one of BL's best.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-12, 07:16 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

Yes, I'm apparently mad. As I said, I prefer 1-5 or even more ranking system, so don't take 2 as bad book as poster suggested, but I had to make difference between books, and I wanted to use 1-4 system, as limited as it is. There are generally few books I've read that I didn't like, so if that was 1-5 ranking, those bolded books would be 3, and Salamander, and Dark Angels books would be 2.

And that is purely subjective, Emperor's gift is really good written, but wasn't to my taste and isn't among my favourite books (which in 1-5 system would be rated with 4 and 5).

Long story short, I liked those books, though I wasn't that impressed as with some other BL books, and are among average of those I've read (I tend to pick only ones with good reviews).

Last edited by Fire Tempered; 08-07-12 at 07:27 PM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-12, 08:00 PM

Oo now this requires some serious thought but here goes

4: Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames, Flight of the Eisenstein, Legion, Soul Hunter, Xenos, Malleus, Hereticus, For the Emperor, Helsreach, Battle of the Fang

3: First Heretic, Aurelian, Deliverance Lost, Know No Fear, First & Only, Mechanicum, Decent of Angels, Fall of Damnos, Purging of Kadillus, The Gildar Rift

2: Pomethean Sun, Fulgrim, Fallen Angels, Salamander

1: Hunt for Voldorius, Battle for the Abyss, Catechism of Hate

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode