A BL Ranking System Proposal - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-12, 09:12 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm just going to do the Heresy series, just for the craic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5
The First Heretic, Horus Rising, Legion, Savage Weapons, After Desh'ea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4
A Thousand Sons, Prospero Burns, Know No Fear, Aurelian, Liar's Due, The Last Remembrancer, The Last Church.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3
False Gods, Fulgrim, Mechanicum, Butcher's Nails, Raven's Flight, The Lion, The Reflection Crack'd, The Serpent Beneath, Crimson Fist, Rules of Engagement, Rebirth, Little Horus, The Iron Within, Fallen Angels, Flight of the Eisenstein, Blood Games, Dark King, The Lightning Tower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2
Death of a Silversmith, Nemesis, The Outcast Dead, Deliverance Lost, Kryptos, Army of One, Forgotten Sons, The Face of Treachery, Galaxy in Flames, Wolf at the Door, Scions of the Storm, The Voice, Call of the Lion, Garro: Oath of Moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1
Battle for the Abyss, Promethean Sun, Feat of Iron, Descent of Angels, Garro: Legion of One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-12, 09:25 AM
Lupe's Flag is: Romania

Novels:

4:
Helsreach
Legion of the Damned
The Emperor's Gift
Void Stalker
Blood Reaver
Soul Hunter
Lord of the Night
Storm of Iron

HH - Thousand Sons
HH - Prospero Burns
HH - The First Heretic
HH - Mechanicum
HH - Legion
HH - Know No Fear

3:
Angel of Fire
Fall of Damnos
Battle of the Fang
Cadian Blood
The Ciaphas Cain series (average per series)
The Gaunt's Ghost Series (average per series)
The Word Bearers Omnibus
Space Marine
Fear the Alien
Dead Sky, Black Sun

HH - Fulgrim
HH - Horus Rising
HH - False Gods
HH - Outcast Dead
HH - Nemesis
HH - Age of Darkness
HH - Tales of Heresy

2:
Rynn's World
Hunt for Voldorius
Fifteen Hours
Space Wolves - Second Omnibus
The Ultramarines series (with the notable exception of Dead Sky, above)

HH - Descent of Angels
HH - Fallen Angels

1:
Dawn of War Omnibus
Blood Angels series

HH - Battle for the Abyss

Last edited by Lupe; 08-08-12 at 09:32 AM.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-12, 09:55 AM

I've done it for the Eighteen HH novels

5 Legion, Fear to Tread, The First Heretic, Know No Fear, Horus Rising, A Thousand Sons

4 Mechanicum, Fulgrim, The Flight of the Eisenstein

3 Nemesis, False Gods

2 Galaxy in Flames, Prospero Burns, Deliverance Lost, Battle for the Abyss

1 Fallen Angels, Decent of Angels, The Outcast Dead

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-12, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
I'm just going to do the Heresy series, just for the craic.
Out of interest why the dislike of Legion of One and Death of a Silversmith? Have to agree that both Feat of Iron and Promethean Son were dreadful.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-12, 10:12 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal310 View Post
Legion of One
I am not a fan of the Garro audio-books or James Swallow in general, for several reasons. But the return of Loken was something that I firmly opposed therefore I automatically disliked the plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal310 View Post
Death of a Silversmith
I gave it a 2, so I am not suggesting it was terrible. But it didn't stand out as deserving anything more than that. Would you disagree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-12, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
I am not a fan of the Garro audio-books or James Swallow in general, for several reasons. But the return of Loken was something that I firmly opposed therefore I automatically disliked the plot.

I gave it a 2, so I am not suggesting it was terrible. But it didn't stand out as deserving anything more than that. Would you disagree?
I'm not a fan of the Audios myself and only listen to the Heresy ones to keep up with events. I personally found Oath of Moment to be the worst only because I found it boring. I quite liked Legion of One but then I was very much looking forward to the return of Loken! As for Swallow I'm assuming that you've not read Fear to Tread yet. I'm sure he's going to win over a lot of detractors with that. I thought it was excellent. I've never read his Blood Angel series (and won't), he seems to get a lot of criticism for that.

As for Death of a Silversmith, well its by no means a literary masterpiece but I really enjoyed it because of the way it adds to the character of Hastur Sejanus, whose death it seems was a seminal event in the heresy (or I interpret to be).
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-12, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

To compile all the votes up to post 23 in a ranked list (of novels with at least 4 votes; votes for an omnibus mostly counted as a vote for the first book therein; 5s counted as 4s; tiebreaker is most votes above 2.50 and least votes below):

BELOVED (over 3.5)

1. A Thousand Sons
2. Soul Hunter
3. (tie) Horus Rising
3. (tie) The First Heretic
3. (tie) Know No Fear
6. (tie) For the Emperor
6. (tie) Battle of the Fang
8. Legion

RECOMMENDED (over 3 to 3.5)

9. (tie) Mechanicum
9. (tie) Prospero Burns
9. (tie) The Emperor’s Gift
12. Flight of the Eisenstein
13. Fulgrim
14. Helsreach
15. False Gods

MEDIUM (2 to 3)

16. Fall of Damnos
17. Deliverance Lost
18. The Outcast Dead
19. Descent of Angels
20. Fallen Angels

REVILED (under 2)

21. Battle for the Abyss

Renegades Saga contributions
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...tions-cry.html)
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...s-scarlet.html)
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...lesh-weak.html)
The Emperor has turned to Chaos. The dream of the Imperium has become a nightmare. But Horus and his Coalition stand against the dark, here at the end of time.

Lorgar's Betrayal
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...te-heresy.html)
What was broken has been mended. And what was burned away can never be reforged.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-12, 10:49 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

Don't get me wrong. Rating novels and sharing opinions is perfectly fair and legitimate. When it comes to meeting the expectation of the OP, though - which was to have a way for an unfamiliar reader to know which book is "good" or "bad" - it's gonna be very difficult to arrive at anything resembling a consensus where most titles are concerned.

Lord of the Night, for instance, gave the "Gaunts Ghosts" series (comprised of 14 novels) a blanket "2" - the same grade that he gave "The Purging of Kadillus". If you were to ask me, though, "Gaunt's Ghosts" is one third of 40k's defining tripod of fiction (the other two being the Horus Heresy and the Eisenhorn trilogy). By contrast, I think that "The Purging of Kadillus" is lackluster without being bad, and a poor depiction of the two factions involved without necessarily being malicious or irresponsible about it.

"Prospero Burns", to mention another example, is a very polarizing novel. On this forum along, I've seen posters praise it as great fiction and denounce it as false advertising and a poor re-imagining of the Space Wolves in more or less equal numbers.

Honestly, I think a better solution might be for the Mods to open up a single thread with links to secondary threads - each devoted to a Black Library novel. Each novel's thread would have a poll whose choices corresponded to a "grade" (1 to 4, 1 to 5, 1 to 10, or whatever). Posters could thus assign that specific novel a grade and then offer their opinion. A curious would-be reader would be able to quickly get an "average" grade from the poll, and could scroll down to get stated opinions. The forum itself would only need a single stickied thread, which you would update with new links for new novels.

Thoughts? I realize that posters such as Lord of the Night and Bane of Kings - both of whom devote a lot of time to providing the fora with reviews - might be more qualified to speak on this.

Cheers,
P.

Last edited by Phoebus; 08-08-12 at 10:54 PM.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-12, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Well, that was more or less my idea- I'd compile an overall ranking near the last page of the thread (as in post 27) and anyone interested could read through the vast quantity of discussion available, or open a new thread.

The Emperor has turned to Chaos. The dream of the Imperium has become a nightmare. But Horus and his Coalition stand against the dark, here at the end of time.

Lorgar's Betrayal
What was broken has been mended. And what was burned away can never be reforged.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-12, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Update:
Know No Fear- 4
Bloodline (James Swallow)- 3

Lorgar's Betrayal

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode