Gaunt`s Ghosts, to start or not to start? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-12, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Default Gaunt`s Ghosts, to start or not to start?

OK, I have had "The Lost" omnibus sitting on my shelf for way over a month, while I have been waiting for "The Founding" and "The Saint" to arrive, but someone at the bookstore clearly screwed it, so I aint getting them in some time, and I wanted to know, should I just wait it out and read them in order, or can I just get my ass in and read "The Lost" straight of the bat?

Will I ruin it for myself by doing that?

When I think of it, I also have the Salvation`s Reach audio adaptation sitting here waiting for me to get started on it...

So should I wait and take it all in correct order, or can I just read "The Lost" and listen to "Salvation`s Reach", or will I have a better experience by doing it all in correct order?

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-12, 01:22 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

If you're going to read them all then read them in order- you'll miss the significance, and emotion, of past events and characters if you read them any which way.

Plus Sabbat Martyr is clearly the best of the series so far (no matter what Mr Dembski-Bowden, incorrectly, believes) and that's in The Saint omnibus
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-12, 01:23 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

I cannot remember exactly which sub-plots are in which books; however, Abnett does set things up in earlier books that reappear much later, so you might spoil some of the surprises in earlier books.

You will also miss out on the set up for many of the characters so might find some of them less engaging if you read books out of order.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-12, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Ah well. Might wait if that is the case.

Or, get the Ebooks?

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-12, 01:46 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

You gotta read them in order, you have no clue who is what character and what happened in past. Like said some returning characters and plots resurface later on.

And if you get ebooks, i think Black Library Ghost bundle this: http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-prod...s-ebundle.html

...is seriously three times overpriced.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-12, 02:14 AM

The Lost was also honestly the worst out of the Gaunt series. It doesn't have a strong direction, and the battles don't have the same epic feel as in The Saint.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-12, 03:14 AM

Gotta disagree with everyone so far...

I picked GG up at THE LOST & thought it was fantastic. Frankly I found it better than THE FOUNDING, and felt that the plots in THE SAINT tended to resolve themselves very ...abruptly in comparison. That isn't to say I didn't like them, they are prime examples of the BEST of what the 40K universe has to offer with gripping characters & narration.

I found that by starting with the LOSTt & then going back to THE FOUNDING & THE SAINT certain events in the novels resonated more than I think they would have otherwise. As each novel starts with a few chapters summarizing previous events & throughout THE LOST's story arc there is a ton of time spent on characters reflecting on past events & the impact they had on the regiment.

I found that by reading out of sequence I was more emotionally involved in many characters because I was already aware of the importance they had on those around them (Bragg, Larkin, Hark, Cuu, etc)

I can't say for certain this is "the best" way of reading the novels, but I don't think anything is lost by reading the story arcs out of order.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-12, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninman View Post
And if you get ebooks, i think Black Library Ghost bundle this: http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-prod...s-ebundle.html...is seriously three times overpriced.
wow, that is overpriced
just get the paperback omnibuses
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-12, 09:02 PM

I would read them in order. I only just finished traitor general, the plots are brilliant but it's the characters that make it.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-12, 09:29 PM

Diatribe1974's Flag is: USA

For me, Dan Abnett + Non-Space Marines = Me being bored to shit. I struggled to get through the 1st two books of the 1st Omnibus, but give me a Space Marines book by Abnett, I devour them in short order. But if you're looking to do Gaunts Ghosts, ALWAYS start at the beginning and work your way forward. There's simply too much shit you'll miss out on otherwise.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode