Didnt like novel that much, seems that Gavin's novels after excellent Angels of Darkness have gone this low.
This has so many problems in it, i cant even tell.
- Alpha legion infiltration totally artificial. Raven Guard were destined to die on Istvaan and they were infiltrated. But of course they were saved so infiltration was succesfull. But not by 1-2 guys but over 30 of them.
- Labyrinth scene was too streched out. I get it that its hard to get but Gav just wasted space to create some excitement to reader. He could have just made Emperor give Corax his material and instead maybe have some good dialogue between Dorn, Emperor, Corax and Malcador on that same page count.
- Making of new Marines too fast. Totally unbelievable that they make them popout in a day or less and they already are fully fighting material and even superior than normal Marines. Yes they got programmed during changing, blah. They should have propably skipped a year or two after leaving Terra and then show new Marines waking up. Didnt like so much the idea too that Alpha legion tampered with gene-seed. Always liked more the "original" idea behind all this.
- Omegon part wasnt really that great on novel, expected more from him and other Alpha legion operatives.
- Battle at the end was quite rushed and didnt serve much purpose. I dont mean battle outside since that was only backdrop on what happened inside facility, but that too didnt have much suspense and it was over before it hardly started.
- There was no real suspense of who was this traitor commander on Raven Guards ranks. Algapito was suggested few times but it seemed too obvious and then its one other who hardly got any facetime on book. Gav should have handled this one better.
Some good points though.
- I liked really much Raven Guards escape part from Isstvaan. This had most suspense on this novel so far.
- Gav is good at writing "down to earth" action scenes on smaller scale, he is actually one of the best authors on this. Im talking about scene of attack on Word Bearer's outpost.
- Whole first scene with Horus was quite great. Nothing more to say about that.
Overall this aint a bad novel, but aint in my top HH 10 list either. This could have been so much more but fell totally short.