Imperial Glory by Richard Williams - Advanced Review [Bane of Kings] - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-12, 12:10 PM

I've just read this one and really enjoyed it. Probably the most enjoyable Black Library book I have read this year or last. I would give it a 7/10 as well, but there really arent any Black Library books I have read I would give more than an 8 to in any event.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-12, 08:09 PM

Unknown Primarch's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Emund View Post
I actually enjoyed the book and finished it in 2 days. Yes, it is a bit corny in places, but I liked it. I even had a little tear in my eye at the end! The only bit that peeved me were:
me too mate, its the only book ive ever been thoroughly shocked, saddened and damn right felt for the characters out of any book. it was like watching a epic film where everyone goes out in a blaze of glory and you actually felt for the characters. recommend to anyone.

if i dont see the world the same as you how come you expect me to see a whole galaxy spanning empire the same as you do then?!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-12, 02:26 AM

Hachiko's Flag is: USA

I really can't give enough kudos to Richard Williams for this book.
Sadly, it seems that Imperial Guard books are going the way of the dinosaur. It used to seem that they were a testing ground for new authors. I don't know if flagging sales is part of the reason, or more of a plan that centers on Space Marines first and foremost (hey, go where the money is), and books that are slated to be series of three or so titles.
Personally, I love the 'rank and file', human aspect of the IG books. And even though I've only read this and Orphans of the Kraken by Williams, I really hope to see more titles from him (will read Reiksguard soon).
Imperial Glory was emotional and exciting. I can see how some might see the ending as corny, believe me. But for those that it works for, it works well. Stanhope and Carson were great characters, and I even enjoyed the portions with Commissar Reeve (especially the flashback with him and Blanks).
In the top 3 of IG books (along with Cadian Blood and Gunheads). The only thing I didn't like was the cover, the face of the centered guard was a little too much of a Judge Dredd rip-off (and the cover has nothing to do with Mr. Williams writing).
For a BL book: 8.5/10

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Book Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode