Review Rating Scales - "What's Your Number?" - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-10, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect

Commissar Ploss's Flag is: USA

Default Review Rating Scales - "What's Your Number?"

What i'm eager to know is this:

What type of rating scale do you use when you review books? Be it an "alpha" system containing letters, or a numerical system (i.e. a 5 or 10 point scale), what do your choices mean?

Is there an explanation for each notch? How does a 3 differ from an 8? Everybody feels differently on this topic, so i want to see your views.

Post your system with an explanation/description of what it stands for. Then we can compare/contrast/question. Within reason of course.

CP

The Founding Fields

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-10, 09:06 AM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well I use a 10/10 scale for full novels and series as a whole, and a 5/5 scale for short stories because in a 10/10 scale it'd be very hard to pin down a good score.

0/10 - Unranked, everything has something that deserves a score even if its just a 1/10.

1/10 - Abysmal, an utter waste of time and something that should not be read again, or even published again and whoever wrote it should very much re-evaluate what they did and make sure to never do it again.
Example: Haven't read a book like this or ever heard of one, and hope that neither ever happens.

2/10 - Terrible, not worth the time it took to read, one or two good things may be pulled from it but they are fleeting and cannot undo the bad.
Example: Also have not read a book like this yet, and I hope I never do.

3/10 - Bad, when you read it and are let down by tediousness and bad writing, there may be something in here that you enjoyed briefly and gave you hope but that was it.
Example: Warrior Coven by C.S Goto.

4/10 - Disappointing, sometimes a book can be bad but contains a good beginning that makes you anticipate the ending only to be let down.
Example: Rynn's World by Steve Parker.

5/10 - Neutral, a book that leaves you with good and bad, a tough one to score but these are rare, nearly every book has more good then bad, or more bad then good.
Example: As I said these are rare, so I haven't read one like this yet which is either good or bad, hard to tell.

6/10 - Fair, a book that isn't great but contains some good moments that you enjoyed but is let down by its flaws. Don't go out of your way to read these but at least consider them.
Example: Descent of Angels by Mitchel Scanlon.

7/10 - Good, a decent enough novel that while it has its flaws its worth the read and has some memorable moments in it that you will enjoy.
Example: Hunt for Voldorius by Andy Hoare.

8/10, Great, a book that impresses and that you will enjoy, its flaws are there and you may notice them but the good far outweighs the bad. Something that should definitely be considered.
Example: Salamander by Nick Kyme.

9/10 - Grand, a book that brings an engaging story, well-developed characters and new ideas to the table, it may have a flaw or two but they are either needed or few and in-between.
Example: Dark Disciple by Anthony Reynolds.

10/10 - Masterpiece, a novel where the flaws do not bother you, when your too impressed and enjoying the book too much to notice them. Containing epic moments that burn themselves into your mind and invoke your imagination, and with a wide cast of characters that are likeable, rather then just a protagonist and side-kick that you enjoy, but an entire cast, and action scenes that define what it is to be in 40k rather then just bolters clattering and chainswords screaming.
Example: A Thousand Sons by Graham McNeill and The First Heretic by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Thats how I rank my books. Ive included two examples for 10/10 because I feel those are the only two 10/10s in Black Library, at least that ive read, and their both Horus Heresy, spells nothing but good for the acclaimed series and I hope that Prospero Burns will continue the proud lineage. Helsreach by Aaron Dembski-Bowden may be there as well but thats something to work out another time.

Lord of the Night

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 08-31-11 at 07:48 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-10, 06:16 PM
Craw-Daddy

1-4 are a bit tricky as these are rarely used, so I'm sorry if they don't make sense.

1/10- Short story has little to do with the fluff universe, without this novel there would probably be a better depiction of this universe. Poorly Written.

2/10- Relevant to the Universe, but to tedious to read. So much to the fact, that I had to pause multiple times. More than 5 times thinking about not finishing this novel. Without this novel there would probably be a better depiction of this universe

3/10- Has certain aspects to the warhammer/40k universe. However this short story has in many ways come in conflict with previous fluff and/or the fluff is just random. I wish I had not read this short story.

4/10- Has certain aspects to the warhammer/40k universe. However this story has in many ways come in conflict with previous fluff and/or the fluff is just random. I wish I had not read this story. Unlike a 1, 2, or 3 I think a 4 is basically a trick read. Where there was hype built on the previous story before. That you were almost forced to read the rest of the series. A 1, 2, or 3 are an epic fail which people often don't read to being with.
The Chapter's Due

5/10- Overall story is part of the Wahammer and 40k fluff, however it failed to achieve its overall objective to the reader. Story is best described as a terrible disapointment more so that the story revolves around a bigger story like the Heresy Series or any others that have started off in a high note.
The Battle of the Abyss

6/10- Overall story is part of the 40k/fantasy world however it failed to achieve its overall objective to the reader. Story is best described as a terrible disapointment. However, kind of expected the novel to not be well due to the plot summary before hand. Or, story has passed off as a reasonable story. Not a story that I would read again. And its fluff will have little impact in the warhammer/40k world.

7/10- Overall story achieved its goal and represented reasonable fluff. I don't treat this as a good or bad rating. But certainly, this rating would me think twice on whether I would read this book as solo work. As part of a bigger and better project I would definitley read it.
Fallen Angels(Heresy Novels), Sons of Dorn

8/10- A well written novel, certainly written well. I was intrigued with this novel the whole way through. I expect the fluff in this novel to play a major roll in the 40k and Warhammer world. As a single piece of work, definitley a novel I would look back into. As a piece part of a series, I definitly think it contributes to the success of the Series. As a whole, this rating describes a fun read.
Warrior of Ultramar, Daemon World

9/10- Great Novel! A must read novel for both a series or for solo works. These novels have great information that impact the fluff in the warhammer/40k world. Difference between a 9/10 and a 10/10 is that these novels often work as pieces of their own work. Well written pieces that don't necessarly work coherently with the rest of the warhammer/40k world.
Storm of Iron, Horus Rising, Path of the Warrior, Soul Hunter

10/10- Masterpiece! Novel contributes very coherently with the rest of the story line. Very well written and carefully thought out. Its fluff not only plays a key roll, but without it much is lost in the overall 40k, and warhammer world.
Fulgrim, A Thousand Son, The First Heretic

Last edited by ckcrawford; 10-09-10 at 06:58 PM.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-10, 06:35 PM
Senior Moderator

When I do ratings I tend to work with the following scale:

10/10: Perfect, written by god or some deity on a platinum tablet in flaming gold script; nothing will ever be its equal or better. You'll find many things epic, but believe me there will always be something down the road that beats it. If your giving something a 10, you've gone from being objective to gushing and tacking additional praise where it is not needed.

9/10: Epic; absolutely glorious, you will be hard pressed to find anything wrong unless you are one of those people who go around doing just that. It'll bring you much joy, you'll definitely recommend it to others, and you will walk away having felt you spent your time well.

8/10: Awesome; not quite epic material but a cut above great. You walk away with your fill and then some, this is worth the time spent as the good almost eclipses the bad.

7/10: Great; better than good but not quite awesome. You will be thoroughly pleased with the end result and feel time well spent, but deep down there is a feeling that something is missing or could have been improved. End of the day though, its great and you had a blast.

6/10: Good; the good shift from neutral, has more good aspects than bad, and you can walk away happy but wanting more

5/10: Neutral; neither good nor bad, its the middle ground that most things should start at. It has an equal measure of positives and negatives, maybe a little skewed to one side but not enough to warrant placing higher or lower.

4/10: Bad; the bad shift from neutral, has more bad aspect than good, and while you may not walk away happy you do realize that there are far worse things.

3/10: Terrible; a swan dive from bad, however something contained within is still worth the buy. When asked about this, you will make mention that you found it to be very bad and would advise against unless people are looking for object X contained within.

2/10: God-awful; you got no joy, and actually walk away feeling cheated. You will not recommend this to others, you will likely spend that time warning them against it in an attempt to save them time or money or both.

1/10: Waste of time; exactly as it sounds, there is nothing redeeming about this, or if there is it is buried by so much bad that you are likely just wasting your time.

0/10: Unrated; in my opinion even bad work deserves some credit, so to me giving something a rating of 0 is more of an indicator of not reading or being led by the nose by some opinions or bias. Its not a fair rating, its not objective, to me its no good.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-10, 01:58 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

I rate books like I rate the ladies.

Too many people hear someone called a "five" and think she must be ugly. In fact, a "five" is average. It's the average woman you see walking down the street everyday. You probably wouldn't chase after a "five" in a bar and buy her drinks, but if the "five" sat next to you and bought you a drink, I don't think you'd get up and leave out of principle. A lot of the books you read are "fives". They're not bad; they're just not good, either. If your house burnt down, chances are you wouldn't shout out "My copy of... was in there!" Chances are you wouldn't even remember it was in there until months later.

"Sixes" and "sevens" are generally what you end up settling with for the night. They're cute, but not beautiful. They have personality, but not to the point that you'll let them go on, and on, and on. Ten years ago, they were your stand-by until you met someone better. Ten years from now, you'll be thinking how nice it would be to land one of them. Your book-equivalents are kind of the same way. You're not excited about them, but you enjoy them nonetheless. You find yourself thinking of a half-dozen or more ways they could be better, but, again, you're still enjoying yourself.

An "eight", in my opinion, is a woman that could make money off her looks. Based on where she ranked, decimal-wise, between 8 and 9, you'd be thrilled if she gave you the time of day. Similarly, an "eight" for a book is (or should be?) good enough for a writer to not worry about choosing writing as his or her vocation.

A "nine" in my eyes is the lady that not only makes money off her looks, she makes considerable amounts of money. If your book is a "nine", it's the equivalent of your Victoria's Secret catalogue models. It's wanted, adored, and flipped through repeatedly. It's in the paper, it makes news when it's bad (behavior-wise, not in terms of quality). People still want it, nonetheless.

A "ten" is Helen of Troy. It doesn't exist; it's a fable--an ideal. The Iliads and the Odysseys of the literary world are "tens". But you know what? Read the Iliad or the Odyssey--I dare you. They're not as good as you imagine. They have captured the imagination, though, and have remained in our consciousness, like Helen, for over twenty five centuries. Centuries. If you're not a statue of a blind man, you haven't written the literary equivalent to the face that launched a thousand ships. And if you are, then guess what: your shit sometimes gets repetitive, and your character conflicts are often telegraphed. So there.

"Fours" and below. Why? WHY? Unless you're completely shit-faced, you shouldn't be messing with one. When you wake up to a four, you should run. If it's a book, throw it away. Don't waste time. Books, like women, are there as a balm to man's soul, to bring joy (not to mention pleasure) in life. If a book hurts to read... move on.

Last edited by Phoebus; 11-17-10 at 02:06 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-10, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebus View Post
"Fours" and below. Why? WHY? Unless...blah blah blah
Because some people are more interested in personality and intellegence than pure looks and figure. And contrary to what some people want to believe, those beautiful looking people who are also smart, nice, and a decent sort are not in the majority.

From my experiences, the nicer you look the less you have to be because people do fixate on those looks and are more willing to forgive and forget. (Not everyone, and those are the natural enemies of certain people because they are not as easily fooled or lead around.)

However this is book rating scales, not women; so away with that topic and back to the real one if anyone else has something to add to it.

I would like to add something to my own scale, part of the reasoning behind my never using a 10/10. As someone training to become an engineer, I have had the notion that nothing is perfect and that there is always some room for improvement all but embedded within my skull. And when you think about it, its true; nothing is perfect because given enough time we will always find some way to improve that something. Things can be as perfect as we can make them at this time, but perfection doesn't happen. Near perfection happens, and it gets mistaken and held up as perfect.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-10, 02:37 PM
Deathwing Commissar

In case the point was missed, half of the above was intended for the purposes of humor.

Additionally, while you might not agree with my dismissal of women I deem unattractive where short-time flings are concerned, the fact remains that my four-and-below grade scale clearly indicated that a reader might not want to invest time in a BOOK that is clearly not enjoyable to them*. Not the cover, but the book. Hence, your inject on the qualities of otherwise physically unattractive women is inapplicable. I can certainly accept critique in regards to me being shallow in my tastes, but it remains a poor comparison all the same.

Finally, where your value judgement is concerned, congratulations for indicating that the stereotype you subscribe to is simply aimed at the other end of the scale. Something about pots, kettles and colors comes to mind.

* I apologize for the run-on sentence...

Last edited by Phoebus; 11-17-10 at 02:39 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-10, 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Finally, where your value judgement is concerned, congratulations for indicating that the stereotype you subscribe to is simply aimed at the other end of the scale. Something about pots, kettles and colors comes to mind.
Ack! Please take your well placed arrow of judgment and smugness out of my chest if you would please.

What I posted today explaining my thoughts on the 10/10 only applies to me using the scale I do, and only applies to the 10/10. Look at my scale again, and you'll notice I also don't believe 0/10 is an acceptable rating either.

Though if its the sentiment that nothing is ever truly perfect, I would ask you to choose something man made that is perfect and prove me wrong. Because losing, being taught something new, failure, and being proven wrong are the best ways to learn and improve.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-10, 04:59 PM
Deathwing Commissar

If it makes you feel any better, my last paragraph was merely directed toward the statement about attractive women.

I wholeheartedly share you views on "perfect" works, hence my qualification of what a "10" would be, and how it typically ends up NOT being a "10" after all.

Cheers,
P.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-10, 09:56 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Too many people hear someone called a "five" and think she must be ugly. In fact, a "five" is average. It's the average woman you see walking down the street everyday. You probably wouldn't chase after a "five" in a bar and buy her drinks, but if the "five" sat next to you and bought you a drink, I don't think you'd get up and leave out of principle. A lot of the books you read are "fives". They're not bad; they're just not good, either. If your house burnt down, chances are you wouldn't shout out "My copy of... was in there!" Chances are you wouldn't even remember it was in there until months later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
If your giving something a 10, you've gone from being objective to gushing and tacking additional praise where it is not needed.
I agree. People seem to think that 5/10 or even as high as 7 or 8/10 would be a criticism of a good book. Well it is in a way, but its certainly doesn't mean that book was bad. 5/10 is average remember kiddies.

Too often I see 10/10's and 1/10's floating around review sites. I can't think of a single book I would rate as 10/10. People really, was it flawless and perfect in everyway (or as close to as to warrant such a rating)? Chances are not. Then why give it a 10/10?! Similarily I see a fair few 1/10's (albeit not from the more prestigious reviewers), but the same thing applies. If your giving out several 10/10's then your going to lose credibility as a reviewer. I'm not saying don't do it, but if you do you better have hell come up with an extremely long and intricate justification for why it deserves such a rating in your eyes.

My current favourite BL novel (Legion) hits (at it's peak) a solid 8/10 in my eyes. Despite my widely-proclaimed love of the novel, was it perfect? No. It wasn't without it's faults, yet 8/10 is a fair and balanced rating of my opinions. Just because I love the novel that doesn't mean I can't see it's faults and am automatically going to give it a 10/10 (like some people seem to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 12-06-10 at 10:02 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Book Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode