Review Rating Scales - "What's Your Number?" - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-11, 03:46 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
1/10: An utter load of bullshit. Not really worth the paper it's printed on. A weak plot, no character development, no enthralling scenes, revelations or twists, and prose that could make you fall asleep. Go find another job son, because if this is something to base your career on your a crap author.
1.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 1/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

2/10: A very weak novel. A generally weak plot, little to no character development, not quite worth the lowest rating but still very weak overall.
2.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 2/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

3/10: General novel structures are stronger than the previous ratings but the negatives still significantly outweigh the positives.
3.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 3/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

4/10: There are some positives, be it in terms of plot, character development, prose, revelations/twists, writing style in general, or novel structure. But there are still too many flaws and negative issues to label it as 'good'.
4.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 4/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

5/10: An average novel. Roughly equal amounts of positives and negatives.
5.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 5/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

6/10: A good novel. There are many developements in terms of positive novel structures/ratings. But there are still a significant amount of flaws or issues with the novel.
6.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 6/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

7/10: A strong novel. Significant amounts of depth and development is established often in terms of the plot and character development. It is not without it's flaws but generally speaking it is a decent book.
7.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 7/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

8/10: A very good book. Everything that makes a good book is present; strong plot, deep and enthralling character development, intrigue, unexpected and thought-provoking twists, great prose, Et cetera. Minimal flaws and criticisms are still present regardless though.
8.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 8/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

9/10: A fantastic novel. Sheer brilliance. You really have to dig deep and spend a lot of time tweezing out those flaws, because there are next to none.
9.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 9/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

10/10: Perfection incarnate, or as close to as to warrant such a rating. This is a novel that ticks all the boxes, and an issue which you would be willing to kill an individual over if they rated this perfection much lower than a 10.
If i would be reviewing books, this is the rating system that i would be using too. Would be nice that every reviewer here would adopt same rating system cause 6/10 on other reviewer is just average and on some other reviewer it could be good/bad. I also see too many 10/10 all across board on books that should be maybe 9 or 8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-11, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninman View Post
I also see too many 10/10 all across board on books that should be maybe 9 or 8.
Thats part of the reason why I adopted the ideal that 10/10 is perfection or very close to it. Its not something you brandy forth on a whim; that top dog rating is supposed to be rare. (Rather than given out with every other 'review' with the claim of regretting using it later. Same excuse every time.)

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-11, 05:30 PM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Here's the new review scale that I'll be using after a thought. And I'm going to be more strict this time, not every book that I read will get a 5/5.

1 – Utter Trash. Don’t bother reading, and it isn’t even worth the paper it’s printed on. There won’t be many books that I read that have this Number, as I will probably end up giving books that deserve this low rating a pass. - Includes novels like Battle for the Abyss by Ben Counter.

2 – Although not as bad as it could have been, it will have some serious flaws and a struggle to read. Don’t buy. Includes novels like Fallen Angels by Mike Lee.

3 – This is pretty much what most books will be getting, the average. Although not top-notch, I will have enjoyed for the most part of what goes in here. Recommended. Includes novels like Dead Men's Harvest by Matt Hilton.

4 – To get this rating, books have to be pretty good, for example, like James Patterson’s Along Came a Spider, but they will have some flaws. Highly Recommended, and you should let your friends and family know about this.

5 – Pure gold. Awesome stuff, not-to-be-missed. Think of stuff like Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien, you know, the stuff that you should be shot if you haven’t read it yet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Book Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode