Review Rating Scales - "What's Your Number?" - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-10, 10:09 AM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

I disagree on the 10/10 ranking, I agree that perfection does not exist and that no book is perfect, without any form of flaw, but I have a different take on the 10/10 ranking and flaws.

I feel that a 10/10 book is a book that has flaws but they are inconsequential, an author who has created such a great literary work that the flaws do not bother you, you don't even notice them until later and when you recheck for them you find that you don't care. For me a 10/10 isn't a flawless unachievable goal, its a goal that is reachable and that a few books I have read have achieved. When you can't fathom putting the book down because you can't stop reading, when you are sucked into it and in awe of what is happening at the moment, when you can identify with all the characters and understand what drives them rather than just the protagonist or the central antagonist..

These are the things that make a 10/10 novel. Ill admit that I have only seen a few of these, at best two. A Thousand Sons and The First Heretic are the only 10/10s that spring to mind for me. I stand by my ranking for these, and I don't feel that im gushing unnecessary praise on their authors because ive seen flaws in both, and they do not warrant lowering the ranking.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-10, 10:31 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Phoebus' Post, and the title made me think of this, for some reason.

Anyways -

1-4, I don't really bother to rate. There's not enough interest in them to keep me finishing the book on occasion, so it wouldn't be right for me to make a criticism based either on that, or to make an observation based on "I couldn't be arsed finishing the book, because it was that bad" would be too harsh. Each to their own, and unless they're really deserving of being put down like that, there's no need.

And yes, a 1-4 is the equivalent of going "Excuse me, I just need to scrub my cock with a wire brush".

5-6 Interesting enough to keep me turning the pages. But doesn't really capture my imagination thatmuch that I'll purchase, or read again.

7 My idea of an average book. While "5" might be the average book around, I'm not going to settle for just average when there's so much better around.

8 Begins to capture my imagination. Often can imagine some parts playing out in a movie, or how I would have shot the film etc. This is where the story becomes less important (i.e there's not much difference i story between 8-10).

9-10 Pretty much similar. Much of it comes down to presentation and how it's written, rather than the quality of story. This is why I believe that Pelham 123 is a decent book, rating an 8, while if a better writer than John Godey had written it, it could be a 9 or 10.

As to perfection, it cannot be done. There's simply no way in hell that a book can be perfect to everyone, in every single way. As such, I don't expect them to be, and instead, I rate it as to how I feel. For example, Rainbow Six, IMHO is a fairly masterpiece literature, and deserves a 10. Many won't like it, but a combination of "factual literature" from a prior history of that history, and the pace of the novel just goes the full way to as near as perfection.

And having a scale going from 1-10, but having 10 never achievable on principle just sounds like bollocks to me.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-10, 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
These are the things that make a 10/10 novel. Ill admit that I have only seen a few of these, at best two. A Thousand Sons and The First Heretic are the only 10/10s that spring to mind for me. I stand by my ranking for these, and I don't feel that im gushing unnecessary praise on their authors because ive seen flaws in both, and they do not warrant lowering the ranking.
I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on this one as you "conveniently" manage to forget at least one of your 10/10 choices.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-10, 02:27 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
And having a scale going from 1-10, but having 10 never achievable on principle just sounds like bollocks to me.
I should probably have qualified that I throw in the decimal system in my 1-10 as well. In that sense, not having a 10 is more feasible, given that there's an additional range of 9.1 to 9.9. All humble opinion, of course.

As for the video, I'm going to say it featured a number of high 7s and low-to-mid 8s.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-10, 02:57 PM
description whore

deathbringer's Flag is: England

1-3 painful to get through badly written, story line stupid and just pathetic, combat undewhelming, not worth buying-rynn's world

4- writing style irritated me, yet it had good moments that made the book worth reading, whilst there were a few canon fluff interests that increased my knowledge- space wolf omnibus

5- average, not terribly written but not well written. charactors entertained, story line engaging but i could put it down and forget it for a while and not be to bothered- galaxy in flames (yes i know but ben counter submits his manuscripts in crayon)

6- interesting book a little difficult to read yet in general i was interested and engaged by the plot, charactors and story line, however at points it dragged and i found it boring-flight of the einsteen

7-8-Soul hunter- A good solid read, enoyable with good pacing and description and excellent characterization, however there were faults with it and i felt it could be improved

9-Really liked it, read it avidly and had no problems with the plot or the realism, never got bored, yet it was not a never put down novel, i could leave it and come back to it- first heretic

9.5- I loved it, charactors engaged me, couldn't put it down, devoured it and hated the fact that it was over. Written beautifully, full of new information and generally was one fantastic book- thousand sons, fulgrim

kudos to lillian thorne for the awesome sig
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-10, 01:24 AM

If a book is almost perfect I would give it a 10.. I mean I would give A thousand sons a 10/10. However if it was on a scale of 1-100 I wouldn't give it 100, like a 95 would do as there were a few things that bothered me about the book. Such as how it ends, mainly because it ends. I fell in love with that book and hated seeing it come to an end. Also... what the hell happens to those remembrencers, are they killed, do they escape? I have no idea. Maby they will pop up in prospero burns.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-10, 08:43 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

I started reading Prospero Burns last night, and before I even got to the main text I was struck by another deviation in the Daniverse. The opening quote from Shakespeare is dated as M2.

Now, this would be correct if we were using our current calender, AD or CE, whichever you prefer, but in 40k they're counting from the birth of the Emperor, who should be 10,000 years old at this stage, therefore the quote should be dated M10.

God I just realised how much of a geek this post makes me sound.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-10, 10:52 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
I started reading Prospero Burns last night, and before I even got to the main text I was struck by another deviation in the Daniverse. The opening quote from Shakespeare is dated as M2.

Now, this would be correct if we were using our current calender, AD or CE, whichever you prefer, but in 40k they're counting from the birth of the Emperor, who should be 10,000 years old at this stage, therefore the quote should be dated M10.

God I just realised how much of a geek this post makes me sound.
How on earth did you come to the conclusion that the Imperium dating system started counting from the birth of the Emperor?
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-10, 10:12 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

1/10: An utter load of bullshit. Not really worth the paper it's printed on. A weak plot, no character development, no enthralling scenes, revelations or twists, and prose that could make you fall asleep. Go find another job son, because if this is something to base your career on your a crap author.
1.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 1/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

2/10: A very weak novel. A generally weak plot, little to no character development, not quite worth the lowest rating but still very weak overall.
2.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 2/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

3/10: General novel structures are stronger than the previous ratings but the negatives still significantly outweigh the positives.
3.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 3/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

4/10: There are some positives, be it in terms of plot, character development, prose, revelations/twists, writing style in general, or novel structure. But there are still too many flaws and negative issues to label it as 'good'.
4.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 4/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

5/10: An average novel. Roughly equal amounts of positives and negatives.
5.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 5/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

6/10: A good novel. There are many developements in terms of positive novel structures/ratings. But there are still a significant amount of flaws or issues with the novel.
6.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 6/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

7/10: A strong novel. Significant amounts of depth and development is established often in terms of the plot and character development. It is not without it's flaws but generally speaking it is a decent book.
7.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 7/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

8/10: A very good book. Everything that makes a good book is present; strong plot, deep and enthralling character development, intrigue, unexpected and thought-provoking twists, great prose, Et cetera. Minimal flaws and criticisms are still present regardless though.
8.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 8/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

9/10: A fantastic novel. Sheer brilliance. You really have to dig deep and spend a lot of time tweezing out those flaws, because there are next to none.
9.5/10 - Slightly more worthwhile than a 9/10, but not enough to warrant the next rating.

10/10: Perfection incarnate, or as close to as to warrant such a rating. This is a novel that ticks all the boxes, and an issue which you would be willing to kill an individual over if they rated this perfection much lower than a 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-10, 12:37 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on this one as you "conveniently" manage to forget at least one of your 10/10 choices.
I have admitted that I was hasty in giving Soul Hunter a 10/10, I feel now it is worthy of an 8/10, or 9/10 if im feeling generous. I feel ive made my reviews better since then and am a fairer judge, and as far as im concerned the only two novels in Black Library that deserve 10/10 now are A Thousand Sons and The First Heretic, and if I could only pick one of those for a 10/10 i'd give it to The First Heretic.

The only other novel i'd even consider for a 10/10 is Helsreach, and before you say anything about me favouring ADB, im not alone in my view on Helsreach.

http://www.graemesfantasybookreview....les-aaron.html

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Book Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode