Soul Hunter Review|Minor Spoilers* - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-10, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Soul Hunter Review|Minor Spoilers*

The first of the new Night Lords series has started with a bang and ended in flames. The book revolves around the First Claw, first squad, of the 10th Night Lords company led by Talos, a Night Lord with prophetic dreams like his Primarch as they invade the Forge World Crythe alongside the Black Legion, as well as several other renegade chapters and legions that are only mentioned.

One thing that is very different from other Chaos Space Marine novels is that only one short paragraph in this novel is dedicated to loyalist marines, who die very quickly. It focuses on the Night Lords for the majority and with some sections dedicated to the slaves that serve them.

A horde of new Night Lords are introduced from the prophetic Talos, the aging Cyrion, and the ancient War-Sage Malcharion. Some old characters are referenced, with the famed Talonmaster Zso Sahaal making an indirect cameo, and a mention of Acerbus the Axemaster. And the legendary Despoiler, Abaddon himself makes an appearance midway, along with some surprise visitors whose identities I wont spoil, despite how incredibly epic they are. The book also adds a kickass new battlecry, or catchphrase, for the legion. "In midnight clad"

Without giving away too much. The story starts with the Night Lords taking a short stop en route to the Crythe system where Warmaster Abaddon is working towards the next Black Crusade and fighting the Mechanicus. They arrive and find that not all is as it seems as the downfall of the Night Lords is being orchestrated behind the scenes. Old enemies and supposed allies both threaten the VIII Legion and they must set aside their differences to survive. The ending is great and sets the scene for the next book as an even older enemy of the Night Lords is returning through the void.

The pace of the story is well set with the fight scenes being brutal and quick without losing any of the action that we love. The writing style itself is very good and I thought using bold font for Malcharion's text was helpful and very fitting for the ancient War-sage. While its not entirely necessary I would recommend reading Lord of the Night before reading Soul Hunter as one of the later chapters makes a large reference to Lord of the Night and requires the knowledge of the book to understand it fully.

In conclusion this book was amazing. Its become my new favourite for introducing likeable traitor astartes and for giving an under appreciated legion the series they've deserved for a long time.

Favourite Points: I had several favourite points within the book. The showdown between Malcharion the War-Sage and Raguel the Sufferer was amazing, especially given the history between those two. I hope Malcharion is ok and will be back.

Another was the surprise visitor's, mentioned above, attempt to corrupt Talos by promising him power. I was also surprised by the conduct of one of these visitors, he was not at all like I thought he would be. There was a point I mixed him up with another one of the visitors due to his attitude towards Talos.

Another was the Atramentar, I believe a Nostraman word for Elite Guard, Vraal's battle with Xarl, Cyrion and Mercutian in the awakening chamber. They did very well but Vraal's end was very nice, I was surprised he didn't scream when he turned around, though he probably didn't even have time to scream.

The final, not really the final but the last one I will note here, is the Void-Born. I thought she was quite an interesting character as she showed what life is really like down in the bowels of the Covenant of Blood, the Night Lord Strike Cruiser. Her fate was quite sad though but its good to know that the Blood Angel that killed her was hacked to death, and she was avenged .

Low Points: The book had very few low points but I did identify at least one, two but the second is just a slight wish. The first is the contemptuous ease in which the Eldar were crushed in the novel. They barely even fired a shot off.

The second is the other Traitor marines. Some mentioned to be there are the Iron Warriors, Violaters, The Purge, The Reavers of Quintus and yet none of these Astartes appear even in passing. Would have been nice to see a Night Lord view on these legions.

So in conclusion I would recommend this book wholeheartedly. I give Soul Hunter a 8.5/10. I look forward to ADB's next work, which judging by the end will probably be called Void Stalker, and very very ironic since while I was reading it a bit ago I wondered what the next book could be called and Void Stalker was one of the names I came up with , along with Darkness Prophet and Midnight Herald.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 06-03-13 at 06:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-10, 08:50 AM

Brother Subtle's Flag is: Australia

10/10! big call considering there was a couple of bits you didnt like. me thinks the 10/10 might have had something to do with your username? bias much? lol, jokes aside, pretty good review. but what about the writing style and pace? you mention alot about the characters, but little about plot (not that you can give TOO much away in a review but you can give an insight) and writing style? just something to think about for you next review.

good work mate, keep up the good contributing to the heresy.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-10, 10:25 AM

RudeAwakening79's Flag is: Netherlands

Yeah, nice review Lord, have some rep

Can't wait to get my hands on this book. I've read Lord of the night and totally enjoyed that story.
I think the Nightlords are one of the most sinister CSM, since they do not worship Chaos originally but use Chaos for their own purposes.

March is going to be great, "Soulhunter" AND "a thousand sons"....hell ya!

To my drug-addled mind, the voice sounded like that of the Emperor himself, and I found myself wondering if I should have spent a bit more time in the temple, and a bit less in bars, gambling dens and bordellos, but it seemed a little late to be worrying about that now. If I had indeed arrived at the Golden Throne, I'd just have to hope its occupant was in a good mood, and try to steer the conversation on to safer ground at the earliest oppertunity.
===Commissar Ciaphas Cain===

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-10, 10:34 AM

Glad you liked it, old bean. I had a feeling you would.

(I'd not class the Void-born's arc as a minor spoiler, though. Kind of a big one.)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-10, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead.Blue.Clown View Post

(I'd not class the Void-born's arc as a minor spoiler, though. Kind of a big one.)
after your 1 page conversation regarding the ins and outs of lord of the night, i think you were ons on for a good review here adb ;) cant wait to get into this book, just wish aus got releases early like the uk. i hate waiting...

this is going to be a trilogy right?

Last edited by Brother Subtle; 02-19-10 at 10:55 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-10, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Subtle View Post
after your 1 page conversation regarding the ins and outs of lord of the night, i think you were ons on for a good review here adb ;) cant wait to get into this book, just wish aus got releases early like the uk. i hate waiting...

this is going to be a trilogy right?
I think it'll be 6 books. The official line is: "A trilogy, then we'll see." But I think signs point to 6, unless the editors suddenly decide they hate it, or I get suddenly bored.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-10, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I think it'll be 6 books. The official line is: "A trilogy, then we'll see." But I think signs point to 6, unless the editors suddenly decide they hate it, or I get suddenly bored.
6! sweeeeeet!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-10, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Quote:
Lets hope it'll be 6. But ill wait until they are all out, people often change their minds. Dan Abnett said that Ravenor would be an ongoing series and its only three books.

Quote:

Its a great book. Looking forward to the next one .

Well while its a spoiler its not really central to the plot, at least not to the Night Lords themselves. The Void-Born was only important to the serfs, and the only Night Lords who knew were Cyrion and Talos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Subtle View Post
10/10! big call considering there was a couple of bits you didnt like. me thinks the 10/10 might have had something to do with your username? bias much? lol, jokes aside, pretty good review. but what about the writing style and pace? you mention alot about the characters, but little about plot (not that you can give TOO much away in a review but you can give an insight) and writing style? just something to think about for you next review.

good work mate, keep up the good contributing to the heresy.
Ill admit im slightly biased since the Night Lords are my favourite legion, but I stick by 10/10 since the low points I put weren't really a big deal. The Eldar could have had a bit more mention, Talos fighting an Eldar Warlock would have been epic, but the attention they got was sufficient.

Ill make sure to add those in my next review, which will probably be for A Thousand Sons.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 02-19-10 at 03:39 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-10, 05:36 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

I've just finished the book today (A Thousand Sons & Soul Hunter in less than a week, not to bad!) and I've got to agree - Loved it!

You did a great job of slotting it in with the previously hailed novel - Lord of the Night. It really fleshed out the visions we got from Lord of the Night, about M'shen's fleeing with the head of Curze and the Eldar ambush etc. We also now see that a lot of the flashbacks from that book were merely just Sahaal's perspective and not the entire truth. We also see Sahaal in a different light, hes made out to seem a greedy traitor, who only cared for the Corona Nox rather than the Vengeance that drove Talos (and the Haunter himself).

Also I would like to say that as a reader, I really got a great feel for just how desperate a situation the VIII legion is in.

A fantastic book, can't wait for the next installment!

What does interest me the most though is the Haunter's words to Talos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 02-20-10 at 05:55 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-10, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
What does interest me the most though is the Haunter's words to Talos:

That drew my eye as well. I was quite surprised by that quote.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Book Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode