Angel Exterminatus by Graham McNeil. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Angel Exterminatus by Graham McNeil.

I am a big fan of McNeil, i actually enjoyed the Ultramarines novels...even though i don't really like the poster boys as whole, i loved his portrayal of the Iron Warriors in Storm of Iron and the emergence of Honsou as a bad ass.

I had sympathy with Vannes and grew to understand the sons of Perturabo a little better then before, so i spent my money and got the hardback cover waiting to read a good book....how wrong and disapointed i was.

I enjoyed Fulgrim, mainly because it showed the descent of a Legion from nobility into perversion and that was well done, so much so that Fulgrim rates as one of my favourite HH books.

However reading this i got the yawns through it. The parts with the Iron Warriors i liked, especially when Perturabo put Fulgrim in his place on several occassions but, all in all, ploughing through the book was like trying to walk through toffee...tedious and unnessercary.

Not enough was done with any of them really to make me warm to the characters within, although Lucius was up to his usual games, i even got fed up with reading about his showmanship, seemed to me to be repetitive.

It only picked up pace for me when Perturabo and Fulgrim confronted each other and the fate of Fulgrim was revealed, that for me was the best part of the book. That and the origins of the Warsmith, after that great piece of scene writing between the two brothers...the ending was anti-climatic to say the least.

And now i know where Honsou came from...he could have done so much more with the Warriors and the Children, and he could have done a hell of a lot more with the Iron Hands and the Raven Guard...we know that the Iron Hands and any Raven Guard/Salamander is going to be out for blood, i mean these two Primarchs were instramentle in the near fall of thier own Legions and Fulgrim murdered The Iron Hands father.

So when the Iron Hands came into it, it seemed to me to be half hearted, not the anger of bereaved sons that you would expect, i mean when Horus was laid low by that knife and at deaths door...you could feel the grief and concern coming through the pages, but not this time.

I know that with Fulgrims ascension there was no real way they could have avenged thier father in the way they would have liked but it was written almost as an after thought. Like he had forgotten he had them in there then decided to put them in.

I very rarely put down a McNeil book...but Angel Eterminatus for me was like pulling teeth. There were some good bits, I liked the insight into Perturabo and the fact that Fulgrim eventually realised Peturabo was nobodies patsy. I enjoyed the insight into the Triarch.

I liked the scenes between Fulgrim and Perturabo but, the rest of it i really did not care for and i just laughed at Eidolin and Bile...Bile did not install any sense of dread into me...more like oh yeah mad scientist, yah yah yah.

I can normally read a HH book in a day or two...this one took me a month because i really could not get into it.

All in all one of the worst books i have read in the HH series.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 07:33 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

I haven't read Storm of Iron.

Do you think this will affect my enjoyment of the novel?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

personally no i dont think so, Storm of Iron was fantastically written and flowed naturally with a rich, enjoyable storyline Bobbs. What stood out for me was the bitterness of the Iron Warriors more in Storm of Iron then it did in Angel Exterminatus, granted at the time of Storm of Iron they were completely fallen but even so, during the HH they were still supposed to be a bitter legion due to the way they had been treated during the Great Crusade.

I got a better feel for that in SOI then i did in AE,

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 09:53 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

Ah, thanks. I know I should read it - I've just never got round to it.

I recently read The Reflection Crack'd, which I enjoyed, but I couldn't help but feel Fulgrim's character was a cheese-fest, especially during the torture scenes. Was he like this in Angel Exterminatus?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

he was definatly different and if you haven't read it yet then that is all i am saying....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-13, 06:39 AM

I thought it was one of the easiest of McNeils books to get through. I've covered his flaws many times.

I really liked how the Emperors children were portrayed. As for warming to their characters. I really didnt want to and I think the idea was to have a fascinated revulsion with them. Lucius is ALL about his showmanship - its all about taking their perversions to an extreme to gain perfection. That's one legion full of really sick puppies.

I think more could have been done with the Raven Guard and Iron Hands but it was only a sub plot. I thought it was done well enough that these guys deserve to show up in future books. I certainly want to hear more.

Eidolon was a weak character in the book. He didnt really feature, but again I thought fabius was great. Maybe it just comes down to expectations. I have very few as I've never really been in to the lore of chaos warriors and such and before the HH books came out I couldn't have even named the traitor legions let alone their characters.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-13, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

i did like the way he portrayed Perturabo and Fulgrims scenes but, for me it was just too much of a slog to get through to the good bits. In my humble opinion not his best work but not as bad as some others i have read latley...fear to tread i have all but given up on have to restart it and try that one again

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Book Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode