Angel Exterminatus - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-13, 11:09 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

I have to say I really enjoyed this book. Perturabo was excellenty written, one of the best rendered primarchs so far I think. His struggle with his guilt over his genocide versus his sense of rejection by the Emperor was cool, along with his desire to break his legion out of their pigeon hole and bitterness that he was never given the chance to. It's no First Heretic or A Thousand Sons, but it's up there IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-13, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Craw-Daddy

I don't deny Perturabo's depiction. However it doesn't even matter... as much as I hate saying that... unless they are going to describe his part during the siege... his depiction means little to the overall Heresy. Very little contribution was given to the Heresy with this novel except for an explanation of Honsou's existance... A new take on Fulgrim... meaningless... chaos between the legions... no shit... Battle of the Abyss loyalists... again...

The problem with rating it a 6 or 4 out of 10 is how this impacts other reviews. There are a lot of 10/10's out there for this book. Also a lot of indifference. Which is fucked up if you ask me. 10/10. So I'm the outlier? You see what I mean? 8/10 is a step close to the mainstream reviews that keep on kissing author's butts. 8/10 is like.... "how could you be so picky..." I don't really understand what has become of the Heresy... but many fans have defended the recent works which many who have critisized have remained silent. Unnecessarly defended if you ask me... to give books 10/10. The Heresy isn't even taken seriously anymore.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-13, 11:45 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
There are a lot of 10/10's out there for this book. Also a lot of indifference. Which is fucked up if you ask me. 10/10.
Well my score for this book was 9.5/10, which while higher than yours is not a 10/10 but admittedly close to it. But I felt that AE fell short of that 10/10 rank due to some unexplained, or not explained enough, events like the DE ship and one or two things that I found confusing.

But I enjoyed seeing so many familiar faces return, it's a nice reminder that these characters were around then and seeing how they became the characters that we know really made this book better imo rather than just introducing a new cast from scratch just for the purpose of this one novel. I get why some wouldn't like what McNeill did and i'm not saying you should, i'm just saying that I did and thus I enjoyed the book more and gave it a higher score.

As for your mention of the Iron Warriors being backstabbers, I think that comes from the position of the Triarchs and the idea that a leader can be demoted for failure, even if it's not a bad one, and that would naturally encourage others to try and gain an advantage over others and of course that naturally leads to backstabbing, especially if bitterness becomes a problem in the Legion as we know it did with the IVth, and if your commanding officer doesn't put a stop to it as Perturabo clearly didn't.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-16, 01:51 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

I had a lot of problems with this novel, mostly as a EC-fan who felt they were sidelined to the overall story other than to make the Iron Warriors look like the straight arrow guy reacting to crazy shit, all IW are re-used characters from previous 40k stories (except one) which in some cases were fun to see their origins, it also limited the narrative and universe and removed all stakes as we already know what will happen to them. Perturabo was well-written, but it didn't fit the time period. It would be great for his Primarch-novella in the new spinn-off series they'v started, but during the Heresy he should be fitter as [email protected]*k. The loyalist served no purpose which took away screen-time where we could have seen interaction between Perturabo and Fulgrim and build their relation, Fulgrim was so obviously gonna backstab Perturabo it hurt to read. I would have preferred if he was able to mask his intentions for Perturabo but we as the audience could see it coming. Also how McNeill screwed with the background lore of Lucius first death.

I give this novel roughly 4/10 I believe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Book Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode