Shepherd492's Review Thread - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Shepherd492's Flag is: Belarus

Star Wars: Knight Errant: Aflame

X-Files: Ground Zero

http://shepherd492.blogspot.com/ My book review blog, in which I review sci fi books, mainly of the tie in variety (love Star Wars)

New to Warhammer 40k books...be gentle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-12, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

An unbelievable combination of two days of power outages, a day without internet, and now a virus riddled main comp have slowed me down quite a bit, but nevertheless I shall press on and hopefully hit 20 reviews this month!

Hell's Kitchen Season One

Star Wars: The Crystal Star

Starcraft: Uprising

40k Raven Guard: Helion Rain (Audio Drama)

http://shepherd492.blogspot.com/ My book review blog, in which I review sci fi books, mainly of the tie in variety (love Star Wars)

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

14 reviews for the month and a new view count record, not too bad considering I was without power/internet for roughly six days total. Look for Jedi: The Dark Side, Ragnar's Claw, The Courtship of Princess Leia, and First and Only to be among my next reviews.

Knights of the Old Republic: Commencement

Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge

Star Wars: Death Star

Ciaphas Cain: Echoes of the Tomb/Caves of Ice

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 04:55 PM

Hachiko's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd492 View Post
14 reviews for the month and a new view count record, not too bad considering I was without power/internet for roughly six days total. Look for Jedi: The Dark Side, Ragnar's Claw, The Courtship of Princess Leia, and First and Only to be among my next reviews.
Just started First and Only myself. Loving it, loving it.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiko View Post
Just started First and Only myself. Loving it, loving it.
I'm about 25 pages from the end, and I can promise that it only gets better. Very impressive book in my opinion.

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-11-12, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

More reviews:

Star Wars: Jedi: The Dark Side

Warhammer 40k: Gaunt's Ghosts: First and Only

Warhammer 40k: Space Wolves: Ragnar's Claw

Star Wars: The Courtship of Princess Leia

My next batch of four reviews will be: Darth Vader and the Lost Command, Splinter Cell: Fallout, X-Files: Goblins, and Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War.

post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-12, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

I changed up my schedule a bit to accommodate a new release:

Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Lost Command

Splinter Cell: Fallout

X-Files: Goblins

Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collected Stories

Next up is Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War, The Stand, Rogue Squadron: Requiem for a Rogue, and Ciaphas Cain: The Traitor's Hand

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-12, 10:44 AM
Pony Marine Master

Angelofdeath690's Flag is: Japan

Enjoying some of your reviews, I tend to mostly read the 40k books so i don't read to many of the other reviews. But i do enjoy reading the thoughts of someone who isn't saturated by the lore and knowledge from the game.

Keep up the good work!

(My favorite series currently is the Cain ones!)
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-12, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

School starting + holiday= terribly unproductive last two weeks. Probably going to be on reduced output through December but I would be thrilled to get 10 reviews a month out. Anyways, here are my latest three:

Republic Commando: Triple Zero

Ciaphas Cain: The Beguiling/The Traitor's Hand (Sorry Angelofdeath!)

The Stand

My next few reviews will be Horus Rising, Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War, Aliens: Earth Hive, and Tatooine Ghost

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-07-12, 10:26 PM

Hachiko's Flag is: USA

I think I mentioned a while back, I was looking forward to seeing your take on Triple Zero. I've got to say your review is pretty much word for word the score I would give it.
As I'm getting older, I've abandoned my habit of finishing even crappy books. But this one I did finish, only because of the respect I had for Hard Contact. That respect for Hard Contact was intensified by:
the fact that RC:HC was a good book despite being a Star Wars:EU book.
the fact that RC:HC was a damn good book for a video game adaptation.
the fact that RC:HC worked as a great military sci-fi book in a space opera universe without name dropping canon players.

And then we have Triple Zero. We get a primary protagonist of Kal Skirata, a character almost as annoying as Jar Jar. We have a few cringe-worthy mentions of classic characters, (I mention one where the Mandalorian-wannabe Jedi was talking about Obi-Wan Kenobi, all while we were supposed to be awestruck with the thought of a jedi in Mando armor). We have Karen Traviss putting Darman on a back burner, and focusing on the love lives of the other clones. In Hard Contact, the emerging love between Darman and Etain Turducken was a cool notion; two types of people, as alien as they were human, who should be unable to feel love, find it anyway. It was Nicholas Sparks meets Star Wars but by God it worked. In Triple Zero, it just sucked.
Plus, as mentioned before, we get Skirata. We get Walon Vau and his Wonder Cat. We have, as you mentioned, a nondescript terrorist cell. In the final confrontation, there seemed so little commando work. The commando force had virtually the same numbers as the terrorists.
Delta Force was pretty cool, and could've highlighted their own book. Crammed in with Omega, it was just too much. The action scenes are still written with good technical skill.
The book itself was graced with a pretty sweet cover.
However, considering the drop in quality between the first and second books, coupled with the fact that Traviss will not be finishing the series, I doubt I will even bother to move on to True Colors.

Excellent review. Crappy book.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Book Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode