Shepherd492's Review Thread - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-12, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Shepherd492's Flag is: Belarus

I haven't read Triple Zero in years, I think I will have to give it a try this month as I don't really remember anything about it other than that the series as a whole shifted from somewhat plausible military sci fi to a soap opera with occasional battles.

Today's reviews:

Star Wars: The Threat of Peace

EndWar

Warhammer40k: Dawn of War

http://shepherd492.blogspot.com/ My book review blog, in which I review sci fi books, mainly of the tie in variety (love Star Wars)

New to Warhammer 40k books...be gentle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-12, 05:17 AM

Garrak's Flag is: Romania

Oh man, I've been following your reviews for a while now but today I winced when I checked your blog and saw you ran into Goto. It's best to simply avoid him. And KJA when it comes to Star Wars, he can be ... well, you saw. Amusingly enough you get a better story about Jedi training in I,Jedi by Stackpole (a portion of it overlaps with KJA's Academy trilogy but from another POV charter).

Btw am I mistaken or have I also seen you around theforce.net?

Follow me and I shall give you victory or glorious martyrdom! For the Emperor!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-12, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Garrak, I do post from time to time on the Lit forums on theforce.net. I also lurk on Jacurutu (the true Dune forums-now there is a group of people who know all about Kevin J. Anderson's "writing") and post video game walkthroughs on youtube, all under the same name.

Sadly, I already have all but one of Goto's books (all but Salvation, which is apparently for Necromunda.) I probably won't force myself through another one any time soon though, and I'm fairly excited about my Warhammer book lineup for the rest of July which includes: Words of Blood anthology, Ciaphus Cain: Echos of the Tomb/Caves of Ice, Iron Hands (currently reading,) Gaunt's Ghosts: First and Only, and Ragnar's Claw. Planning to dig into Horus Heresy, in addition to a few other series I haven't touched yet, in August.

http://shepherd492.blogspot.com/ My book review blog, in which I review sci fi books, mainly of the tie in variety (love Star Wars)

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-12, 05:26 AM

Sounds pretty good. Will look forward to it. Might I also recommend the Eisenhorn trilogy by Abnett and pretty much anything by Aaron Dembski-Bowden?

Ah yes the Lit forums, I lurk there a lot (also used to post more before the damn move).

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-12, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

I have a massive collection of 40k stuff at the present, just a matter of getting around to it lol. I'm kind of put off by the newer books, especially those likely to be collected in an omnibus later on (storage and pricing concerns,) but I have managed to snag some neat stuff over the last month and a half or so.

Here is the complete list of stuff I own, if you are interested:
Books 1-10, 13 of HH
Farseer by King
Blood Ravens Omnibus
Shira Calpurnia Omnibus
Soul Drinkers Omnibus
Eisenhorn/Ravenor Omnibus
Brotherhood of the Snake by Abnett
Sabbat Worlds
Rynn's World and Helsreach Space Marines novels
Imperial Guard Omnibus 1,2
Space Wolves Omnibus 1,2
All three Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus
Word Bearers Omnibus
Ultramarines Omnibus 1
Words of Blood anthology
Iron Hands
Cain omnibus 1,2
Grey Knights omnibus
Eldar Prophecy, Death Watch duology by Goto
Iron Warriors omnibus
A slew of audio books (found them at a half price book store,couldn't resist...that actually applies to about half the stuff on this list though.)

I was thinking of starting Eisenhorn in August too, in addition to either Grey Knights, Word Bearers, or Iron Warriors, along with continuing various other series I have enjoyed thus far. My schedule for next two or three months is going to be 6 star wars books, 6 wh40k, 6 other, and 7 comics (star wars and batman, don't read much else on that front). How much of that I actually read is to be determined, but I love reading and it should be a fun challenge.

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-12, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy: Champions of the Force

Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith

Hopefully tomorrow I will manage to do my reviews of both Iron Hands and Star Wars Knight Errant Volume 1. I'm also very close to finishing X-Files: Ground Zero, and will probably do either the comic books Jedi: The Dark Side or Crimson Empire III shortly thereafter.

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Warhammer 40k: Iron Hands

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Here is the complete list of stuff I own, if you are interested:
Books 1-10, 13 of HH
Farseer by King
Blood Ravens Omnibus
Shira Calpurnia Omnibus
Soul Drinkers Omnibus
Eisenhorn/Ravenor Omnibus
Brotherhood of the Snake by Abnett
Sabbat Worlds
Rynn's World and Helsreach Space Marines novels
Imperial Guard Omnibus 1,2
Space Wolves Omnibus 1,2
All three Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus
Word Bearers Omnibus
Ultramarines Omnibus 1
Words of Blood anthology
Iron Hands
Cain omnibus 1,2
Grey Knights omnibus
Eldar Prophecy, Death Watch duology by Goto
Iron Warriors omnibus
A slew of audio books (found them at a half price book store,couldn't resist...that actually applies to about half the stuff on this list though.)
How on earth did you get so much so fast? And I can understand the pricing and storage concerns over new books as I have the same problem - but I'm weak willed so I pretty much buy them as soon as they appear. Glad you finished with KJA for now - unless you have Darksaber somewhere on that list ... and the Dune books. Yeah, the Dune books were ... what is there to say about them?

And if you enjoy fantasy as well you should look into Malazan Book of the Fallen (not easy series). You know what the problem is when you enjoy reading and hang out with others who also enjoy reading? That list of books you need to read will grow with impossible speed.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

When you can find a $15 omnibus at the used bookstore for $5, you don't pass it up. That is the story behind most of the stuff on this list. Then I bought quite a few things on Amazon, found two of the standalone books at a yard sale (this is also how I got the apparently somewhat rare Imperial Guard Omnibus Vol. 1), picked up another two omnibus at a library sale thing, and then bought quite a few of the HH books and I think one more omnibus at my local (full priced) bookstore.

All in all I would say I spent around 200 USD (160 GBP, 203 Euro) on everything I have. Basically I'm lucky to have found all this stuff, and even luckier that there haven't been any video games to come out this year that have tempted me in the slightest, giving me plenty of money to spend on books instead. I just really like having options and figure I will get around to reading them all eventually, like by the year 2020.

I'm lucky that almost none of my friends read books, otherwise I don't even know what kind of money I would have ended up spending on various things lol. Malazan looks pretty interesting, I might check it out when I finish the Song of Ice and Fire books, apparently they are somewhat similar? I'm generally not that much into fantasy, I haven't even read the Lord of the Rings, but I'm quite liking it so far (except the comic adaptation, that is pretty bad.)

Oh and about KJA, I'm actually not quite done with him yet. I'm finished with X-Files: Ground Zero, which he wrote and I will be reviewing shortly, then I have two more arcs of the Tales of the Jedi comic series, which actually isn't that bad, and then Darksaber at some point. Also, I will probably force myself to read some of his Dune books, because some things must be seen to be believed.

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 04:14 PM

Wow, interesting story behind the collecting of all those books. You're right, one does not pass up on 5$ deals (it's the same way I got the entire X-Wing series). And yeah aside from ME3, this year has been dry games wise.

Quote:
I just really like having options and figure I will get around to reading them all eventually, like by the year 2020.
You do realize we'll be in our death beads and still with a pile of unread books waiting. The afterlife better have a library.

Quote:
I'm lucky that almost none of my friends read books, otherwise I don't even know what kind of money I would have ended up spending on various things lol.
Depends. I've been acting as a one man SF-Fantasy library for quite a few years now. I'm lucky however that so far I've gotten my books back in the same condition - barring an accident or two.

Quote:
I might check it out when I finish the Song of Ice and Fire books, apparently they are somewhat similar?
A Song of Ice and Fire is more about politics and the various characters while Malazan is more action and philosophy heavy. Both series are good but they are very different. There are also only 5 books in existence that have turned me into an emotional wreck ... all five are in the Malazan series. If you do ever get around it, the only thing I'm going to say is that the first book is the weakest - it was written 10 years before the rest of the series.

KJA's Butlerian Jihad books are some of the boring I've ever had the misfortune to read - I couldn't even make fun of the idiocy when it showed up because my brain was numb. Darksaber is just full of silly (Daala is back btw) and the Tales of the Jedi stuff is surprisingly good for that author (Redemption in particular).

Last edited by Garrak; 07-09-12 at 04:27 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Book Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode