Book Reviews by Bane of Kings - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-12, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

A new review, this time of the thrilling historical fiction novel Hereward, written by James Wilde and published by Bantam Books.

“A wonderful, bloody, gory, page-turning and epic journey that sees James Wilde soar to the top of my list of historical fiction authors that I want to read more of. Unmissable.” ~The Founding Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-12, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

I review the second book in the epic Mistborn series, published by Gollancz, written by Brandon Sanderson and titled The Well of Ascension, published by Gollancz in the UK.

“A wonderful, richly crafted read that sees Sanderson keep up there with the likes of GRRM and Tolkien. Jaw-dropping, enjoyable and amazing. A must buy.” ~The Founding Fields

Note, this is the second book in the Mistborn series, and there are huge, unavoidable spoilers for the outcome of the first novel, The Final Empire, so I suggest you read that book first if you haven’t already. If you have already read The Final Empire or don’t care about spoilers, then feel free to continue.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

I review Nightfall, written by Stephen Leather, published by Hodder and Stoughton Books in the UK.

“A creepy, bloody tale that will keep you up all night.” ~The Founding Fields

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-20-12, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

I write an advanced review of Angel of Fire, the first novel in the Macharian Crusade Trilogy, written by William King, set in the Warhammer 40,000 Universe and published by Black Library.

http://thefoundingfields.com/2012/06...ew-bane-kings/
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-23-12, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

More historical fiction this time, with Spartacus: The Gladiator, the first novel in the Spartacus Duology by Ben Kane, published by Arrow Books and set in Ancient Rome era.

“Gritty, dark, action-packed, Kane drags the reader in and keeps them hooked until the very end.” ~The Founding Fields
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-12, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

This time, I write a review of the 2012 David Gemmell Morningstar award winning novel, The Heir of Night, by Helen Lowe, published by Orbit Books.

“A strong opener to a series that I will certainly be reading more of despite its flaws.” ~The Founding Fields
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-12, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

I review another graphic novel/comic, The Man Who Laughs (with Made of Wood), written by Ed Brubaker, illustrated by Doug Mahnke and Patrick Zircher and published by DC.

“The Man Who Laughs is really a comic of two halves, and both separate stories manage to be entertaining, but whilst the first story that knocks it out of the park, the second suffers.“ ~The Founding Fields
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-05-12, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

I review the breathtaking final installment in the Riryia Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan, which collects the novels Wintertide and Percepliquis, and is titled Heir of Novron. This omnibus is published by Orbit Books, but all of the Riryia novels were self published individually first. This Omnibus was released in January 2012.

“A wonderful, spectacular conclusion to a series which has seen Sullivan launch into competition with the likes of Brandon Sanderson and Joe Abercrombie. Strong characters, strong plot, strong pretty much everything - Heir of Novron and the Riryia series are novels that any true fantasy fan should read.” ~The Founding Fields

Last edited by Bane_of_Kings; 07-07-12 at 08:50 AM.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-12, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

I write an advanced review of Seven Wonders by Adam Christopher, published by Angry Robot books and released in August 2012 in the US, and September for the UK.

“An awesome novel that is one of my favourites so far this year. For those who thought that Christopher’s Empire State would be the best of his novels, then think again - Seven Wonders is much better. Reads like a superhero comic book in novel form. Unmissable.” ~The Founding Fields
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-12-12, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Me and Lord of the Night write a dual review of Fear to Tread by James Swallow.

"An epic tale that’s just what Blood Angels fans were waiting for. Explosive stuff.” ~The Founding Fields

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Book Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode