Advance Review - Lupe reviews Legion of the Damned by Rob Sanders [Spoilers] - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-12, 03:23 AM

The Cemetry World isn't a new concept, but it's a tremendous realisation of one.

Myself, I overwhelmingly enjoyed the book. The prose is excellent, the tale detailed, the massive amounts of insight into a well-realised Space Marine chapter, the sensible progression, the presentation of the Legion of the Damned throughout.

There really wasn't a thing I could properly criticise about it. For its insights into the Horus Heresy, the presentation of the 40k universe, the exploration of broad ideas and the actual presentation of the Legion of the Damned: excellent.

Contrast this with The Chapter's Due or Nocturne in which similar themes are dealt with...this blows the other two out of reality. (Overlapping themes: unstoppable invasion, Legion of the Damned, magical intervention from the Heresy-era, 'humane-ish' Marines [to an extent], in-Chapter troubles, vengeful Chaos hordes etc.)

Easily the superior of the three. Certainly not for everyone, but I can't agree with Malus Darkblade: I've read a lot of tedious action scenes in 40k books, this book had not even one of them; the Chapter were more interesting than most others I've read; the world was delightfully imagined, far from boring.

Hell, my disagreement is so much so that I'm not entirely convinced we read the same book.

Misnaming the Book

The name's a name. Did you read the blurb? That actually covers the book rather well. And the game's given up in the prologue: were people really thinking we'd have Damned Legionnaires as PoV characters?

Anyway, the story lives up to its name exceptionally well, in my esteem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-12, 04:38 AM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xisor View Post

Easily the superior of the three. Certainly not for everyone, but I can't agree with Malus Darkblade: I've read a lot of tedious action scenes in 40k books, this book had not even one of them; the Chapter were more interesting than most others I've read; the world was delightfully imagined, far from boring.
Compare the action scenes between Helsreach and LotD. Each battle in Helsreach felt new and exciting while in LotD , it just consisted of ten chaos Astartes dying to one loyalist, crazy civilians dying to mass las-fire or scouts getting bitten in half by daemons and not realizing it for several minutes.

We have a World Eater who fought with Angron and was at the Siege of Terra get his throat slit by a ghost, even the author pokes fun of how stupid that scene was. And I don't want to get into how cliched and stereotyped the WE's in this book were. One of them destroys the circuity of his drop-pod before it lands because he's mad .

The Exco. chapter just have slaves whip them while they moan about the greatness of Dorn. Not my cup of tea. And the feast of blades was just silly. Give each contestant a poisoned knife that can paralyze half your body with one touch?

To me that's not a good way to gauge one's strength or skill at all. The feast of blades should consist of heroic battles that last forever until every sinew and bone in the contestant's bodies is pushed to exhaustion. Dorn is all about persistence and preserverance. I am not even going to talk about the He-Man who threw a pillar around and how dirty the protagonist was for holding a Black Templar in place as said pillar flew into his face. Why did he even need to do that? To take out one contestant? Ok but wow that was dirty lol (in b4 exco's are attrition fighters, etc).

And the psychotic obsession with a banner. Fine ok it's a relic given to them by Dorn supposedly (if I recall correctly. If so, you would think they'd lock it up in stasis) but for them to hate the protagonist for losing it in an ambush is just silly and unrealistic.

Call me naive or what have you but yes I was expecting a book about the LoTD. I had no reason to assume otherwise. Prior to reading the book, I actually thought they were a flesh and blood chapter (curse you lexicanum, curse you), damned by the warp but serving the Emperor before their bodies were completely lost to Chaos. That's cool. Not ghosts who just slit throats and fire magical bolters. They were used as bait for people to buy the book.

Writing was solid but I just had issues with all the above.

Last edited by Malus Darkblade; 01-09-12 at 04:51 AM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-12, 12:35 PM

You had "no reason to assume otherwise"?

"Following the trajectory of a blood-red comet, the berserk World Eaters blaze a path of destruction across the galaxy in its wake. The small cemetery world of Certus Minor appeals to the Space Marines of the Excoriators Chapter for protection, but the force dispatched to deal with this grim threat is far too small and their losses against the renegades are high. Just as all seems lost, salvation is borne out of legend itself as sinister spectral warriors descend upon this planet of the dead, and the enemies of the Imperium come face to face with those who have already travelled beyond the realm of the living..."

?

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-12, 02:49 PM

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-12, 07:56 AM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

And now all interest i had in this book is gone, i wanted to read about the Legion of the Damned and instead i get cameos towards the end? Bleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-12, 06:58 PM

Loli, Malus is horrendously misrepresenting the book. I'd not take his ... rant... at face value.

(The Legion of the Damned appear throughout. What would you want to read about them?)
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-12, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Loli, Malus is horrendously misrepresenting the book.
Intentional irony?

Quote:
(The Legion of the Damned appear throughout. What would you want to read about them?)
Pretty much anything . And they only feature in the last 20 or was it 40 pages in the 300+ page book.

LotD was Prospero Burns x 1000 only PB made up for its lack of actually featuring Prospero content with a lot of interesting stuff (excluding the steroid reporter who chatted with two primarchs like it was nothing) about the very chapter on the front cover of the book.

How you justify the book featuring apples - on the front cover no less - only to not feature apples but instead bananas is kind of scary.

Last edited by Malus Darkblade; 01-14-12 at 12:16 AM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-12, 07:56 PM

"Following the trajectory of a blood-red comet, the berserk World Eaters blaze a path of destruction across the galaxy in its wake. The small cemetery world of Certus Minor appeals to the Space Marines of the Excoriators Chapter for protection, but the force dispatched to deal with this grim threat is far too small and their losses against the renegades are high. Just as all seems lost, salvation is borne out of legend itself as sinister spectral warriors descend upon this planet of the dead, and the enemies of the Imperium come face to face with those who have already travelled beyond the realm of the living..."

That being the blurb for the book. I don't see how you can ignore that and say with a straight face "This was misleading".

The Legion, incidentally, also feature throughout the book, not just in the last 20/40 pages. Denying that, I think, is indeed horrendously misrepresenting the book. So no, it's not irony; but there's certainly improbable ignorance or outright lying.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-12, 05:22 AM
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect

Commissar Ploss's Flag is: USA

what is up with all the spoilers recently... i'm kind of getting fed up... i don't want to stifle reviews, but it makes it damn near impossible to enjoy a book review (mind you there is a difference between this and an actual book review...) when it's riddled with spoilers!!! You're taking away the magic of discovery. that feeling you get when you witness a major plot twist or see a character change before your very eyes. you can't get that feeling when you know it's coming...

Not trying to staunch your creativity Lupe, but i think i'll be doing a review guide and some guidelines stickied in a post at the top of the forum to let people know what's acceptable in this forum... in the meantime, head over to my website www.thefoundingfields.com to familiarize yourself with real book reviews.

The Founding Fields

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-12, 05:33 PM

I don't think a thread with [Spoilers] prominently in the title can be called "riddled with spoilers!!!", Ploss. That's like saying a zoo is infested with animals.

(I assume that it was there in the beginning...)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Book Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode