Prospero Burns by Dan Abnett – Book review [djinn24] - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-11, 03:30 AM
Craw-Daddy
 
ckcrawford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,416
Reputation: 29
Default

I think most people that dislike the novel, (though they wont admit it), because it shows that the Thousand Sons weren't as innocent as they we were led to be in Graham McNeill's novel. But even if you read his novel, there are points in there that point out at Magnus being a fricken asshole before the rubric.

As a further note, I think that the novel did extremely well in preserving the mystery of the Wolves of Fenris, by giving an outside perspective. I think they purposely did that, in a way to show, that there was no real way to understand how the Wolves worked.

I don't think it would have been possible to write how one of the wovles would be thinking during a battle scene.
ckcrawford is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-11, 03:53 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin
 
gen.ahab's Avatar
gen.ahab's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ivins, Utah, USA
Posts: 7,044
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
I don't think it would have been possible to write how one of the wovles would be thinking during a battle scene.
Incorrect. Observe.

"I've got the ball. I've got the ball. I've got the ball. SQUIRL!"

Reasonably applicable for most scenarios.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.
gen.ahab is offline  
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-11, 07:15 AM
Entropy Fetishist
 
Mossy Toes's Avatar
Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eš
Posts: 4,249
Reputation: 117
Default

Heheh, very nice. If a little trite, but I can bear it for the sake of humor.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
Mossy Toes is offline  
 
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-11, 07:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Xisor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 210
Reputation: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
I think most people that dislike the novel, (though they wont admit it), because it shows that the Thousand Sons weren't as innocent as they we were led to be in Graham McNeill's novel. But even if you read his novel, there are points in there that point out at Magnus being a fricken asshole before the rubric.
Disagreed. I think the likely reason for most people not liking it would be because their expectations hadn't been met. The blurb, the pre-book chit-chat does not lead you to think you're in for a sedate, cerebral mystery. Even a very well written, interesting one is going to be a bit of a let-down, to say the least, if you're coming for an action-adventure about destroying the planet of sorcerers whom the protaganists were finally being vindicated against...but all is not what it seems (but it's still an action-adventure).

Hell, I'm pretty certain it wasn't people crying about their precious Thousand Sons being beaten up by nasty Wolves.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
As a further note, I think that the novel did extremely well in preserving the mystery of the Wolves of Fenris, by giving an outside perspective. I think they purposely did that, in a way to show, that there was no real way to understand how the Wolves worked.
I think they certainly did cultivate the Fenrisian mystery very well here. Though I disagree on the second point: I felt Wraight did this exceptionally well in Battle of the Fang which makes a fine 'third book in the trilogy' combined with PB & ATS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
I don't think it would have been possible to write how one of the wovles would be thinking during a battle scene.
Again, I felt BotF did it rather well (without being 'too far' from the Heresy-era, indeed, many of the themes were precisely the same ones that could be carried over from PB/ATS, albeit separated by a while and with much 'left for other stories').
Xisor is offline  
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-11, 11:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Roninman's Avatar
Roninman's Flag is: Finland
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 507
Reputation: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
I think most people that dislike the novel, (though they wont admit it), because it shows that the Thousand Sons weren't as innocent as they we were led to be in Graham McNeill's novel. But even if you read his novel, there are points in there that point out at Magnus being a fricken asshole before the rubric.
Many also dislike novel simply cause there wasnt huge battlescene described again from other side. What couldnt it affect the outcome? Prospero would have still burned. This novel also was one of more literature type of novels from BL that ive seen in last few years and people dont seem to get it.
Roninman is offline  
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-12, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 180
Reputation: 2
Default

I've not read the book, I listened to the audio version instead and I have to agree in many ways with the OP's review. I felt that too much time was spent on the main characters journey for want of a better term to become a skaald. It felt far more a story about the Space Wolves than a book about the burning of Propsero.

I like Dan Abnett on the whole, and from what I can recall he doesn't make use of stupid made up terms like many of the other 40k writers do and therefore, unlike many of the heresy books, held my attention pretty well. However, 'wet leopard growl' is a term that seriously made me cringe. What the hell is a wet leopard growl?

I was dissapointed with the destruction of Prospero descriptions, especially in comparison to the battles described in Thousand Sons. It's interesting to see people discuss the two different viewpoints of the two books and it makes you wonder whether its just a case of two sides of the same story, or a case of two writers working very seperatley and too hell with what each other wrote. It can be very contradictory at times and that boths adds and detracts from the series overall.

A lot of the HH books can be trimmed back a good 100 pages of filler and whilst Dan is deffinately not the worst offender, the flashbacks and the no wolves on Fenris (a confusng issue again thanks to what was written in Thousand sons) just felt like filler. When we do find out the reason for the flash backs, honestly, I felt it could have been done a lot better.

A reasoanble book, but not one of Dan's or the series best.
Stephen74 is offline  
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-13, 02:59 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1
Reputation: 1
Default

I've read "A Thousand Sons" and "Prospero Burns" back to back and of the 2 I found the first to be far better. I did enjoy Prospero Burns and if I would rate it I would give it like a 6/10.

I think the second book just didn't add much to the story already told in the first. What was so done well in A Thousand Sons is that you would sympathize with the Thousand Sons legion and it's Primarch, the writer did an excellent job putting them into a victim role and you couldn't help rooting for them.

I was hoping that reading this book it would change and it would give me a different perspective, but it really didn't. In hindsight I wished I've read "The Outcast Dead" in between the 2 and would recommend it.
Xarlan is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Book Reviews

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome