2000 pt Stormcast Eternals - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Son of Horus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-18, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Default 2000 pt Stormcast Eternals

Is this really the first post in this section? Wow.

I'm working on a Stormcast army, and while I haven't had a lot of experience playing Age of Sigmar, I know that it's close enough in the important ways to 40k that my "3 Tactical, 2 Assault, 1 Devastator" setup that has served me really well for almost 15 years is not going to be too far off the mark. So with that in mind...

Celestial Vindicators 2000 Points

-Lord Celestant on Dracoth
--Thunder Axe (Obsidian Blade), Keen-Clawed, Sigmarite Thundershield, General (Trait: Single-Minded Fury)

-Lord Relictor

-Lord Ordinator
--Two Astral Hammers (although the big mallet that's coming out soon seems really good, too... decisions, decisions...)

-Knight Questor
--Warblade (Stormrage Blade), Sigmarite Shield

-10 Liberators
--Liberator Prime with Grandblade. One other model with Grandblade. 8 Warblades and Sigmarite Shields. Battleline.

-10 Liberators
--Liberator Prime with Grandblade. One other model with Grandblade. 8 Warblades and Sigmarite Shields. Battleline.

-10 Judicators
--Judicator Prime with Boltstorm Crossbow. 7 Boltstorm Crossbows, 2 Thunderbolt Crossbows. Battleline.

-5 Retributors

-10 Sequitors
--Sequitor Prime with Grandmace. Two other models with Grandmaces. 7 Stormsmite Mauls and Sigmarite Shields.

-6 Castigators

-Celestar Ballista

Warscroll Battalion: Hailstorm Battery (Lord Ordinator, Castigators, Celestar Ballista).

It's exactly 2000 points. The idea is to hold the Retributors and the Judicators in reserve and plop them down point blank on somebody once the Liberators and Sequitors, lead by the characters nearby, assault a flank of the enemy army and try to focus on small elements at a time rather than trying to engage the whole enemy army at once. The deep striking elements can pop up and intercept heavy elite units and sort of hard remove them. The ballista and castigators form a solid firebase and as long as the Lord Ordinator is somewhere nearby-ish, they become very, very accurate and can help with crowd control that could otherwise overwhelm the core 30 sword and board guys. The big flaw here is that there's not a wizard in the army. The Lord Relictor kind of makes up for it with his battle prayers, but I can't unbind anything my opponents cast. So I may swap him out for a Knight Incantor-- I don't know how strictly necessary magic defense ultimately is.

If you don't have the new Stormcast battletome and aren't sure what a couple things are-- the big new thing in the battletome is Chamber-specific traits. Kind of like Chapter Tactics for Space Marines. Celestial Vindicators get +1 to hit on the turns they charge, and the General's trait gives friendly Celestial Vindicators units within 18'' +1 attack with one of their melee weapons. The Stormrage Blade -has- to be given to somebody in the army, and has to be the first relic assigned. I get two since I have a warscroll battalion, but otherwise, I'd be stuck with the Stormrage Blade. Which isn't bad-- it has the option to give +2 Attacks in exchange for opponents getting +1 to hit the wielder for that round. And it's a may, not a must, so if you are worried about getting beaten down before swinging, you don't have to take the extra attacks.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-18, 12:45 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
Is this really the first post in this section? Wow.
Welcome to the Mortal Realms!

Quote:
I'm working on a Stormcast army, and while I haven't had a lot of experience playing Age of Sigmar, I know that it's close enough in the important ways to 40k that my "3 Tactical, 2 Assault, 1 Devastator" setup that has served me really well for almost 15 years is not going to be too far off the mark. So with that in mind...
Worth trying, but as someone who's played both 8th and AoS for a year now, what works in one doesn't always work in the other. Especially given certain rules that make a huge difference, such as how point costs work per unit in each game. But that said try what you want to try and if it works, do it!

Quote:
Celestial Vindicators 2000 Points
SIGMAR! VENGEANCE! SIGMAR! (Our battlecry fellow Vindicator, though it's more of a chant that the CVs repeat over and over as they fight to channel their immense rage.)

Quote:
-Lord Celestant on Dracoth
--Thunder Axe (Obsidian Blade), Keen-Clawed, Sigmarite Thundershield, General (Trait: Single-Minded Fury)

-Lord Relictor

-Lord Ordinator
--Two Astral Hammers (although the big mallet that's coming out soon seems really good, too... decisions, decisions...)

-Knight Questor
--Warblade (Stormrage Blade), Sigmarite Shield
Interesting choices. The Dracoth-Celestant is good and I like the loadout, he'll be very anti infantry which really is what he's kinda meant to be. I change what mine has depending on what i'm fighting, though I prefer to use the Stardrake, the Celestant Prime or the Celestant on foot. The Relictor is always useful, though I have NEVER gotten a Lightning Storm off even once (just plain unlucky). The Ordinator and Questor are... well I don't use them at the moment. The Ordinator is only useful when paired with other Order armies that rely on warmachines (Kharadron, Ironweld, Dispossessed, etc) or with a Celestar heavy build. I would only take the Ordinator if you've got two Ballistas, not one, plus his Command Ability (while nice) is redundant while you've got the Dracoth Celestant.

And the Questor is alright but he's overshadowed by practically everything else that you have as an option. My suggestion, ditch the Questor and get a Lord-Castellant instead. For the exact same point cost you get a hero with 1 more wound, 1 more bravery, a free Gryph Hound (very useful with in tandem with your Judicators against armies that can redeploy, and surprisingly powerful sometimes. I once killed a Seraphon Engine of the Gods with just a Castellant and his Hound, the Hound actually did 4 wounds to it one round!) and the Lantern. 1+ to the save of the unit you target, which on your Libbies bumps them to a +3 save re-rolling ones (and if you roll a six it heals a wound on them). Plus he can take a Mystic Light artefact that can be quite useful.

Really the Questor isn't bad, he's just not as good as what other things you can get for 100pts.

Quote:
-10 Liberators

-10 Liberators

-10 Judicators
--Judicator Prime with Boltstorm Crossbow. 7 Boltstorm Crossbows, 2 Thunderbolt Crossbows. Battleline.
Good Battleline choices. I personally don't run that many Libbies since they aren't as hardhitting as you'd expect for the mainline unit. Rather than Tactical, Assault and Devastator, I consider Libbies to be the anvil to my Paladin's hammer. They are great at holding enemies (high wound opponents especially) and securing objectives, but they won't do well against elite infantry or hordes that can really pour on the attacks. A Castellant can buff them to a +3 save as I said above which helps massively though. The Judicators are always a good choice, I personally prefer to run two units of 5 armed with bows so I can get two Shockbolt Bows, but the crossbows are good too.

Quote:
-5 Retributors

-10 Sequitors
--Sequitor Prime with Grandmace. Two other models with Grandmaces. 7 Stormsmite Mauls and Sigmarite Shields.
This is where I would make some suggestions. You're lacking the heavy hitting that you'll need once the Libbies absorb the charges of your opponents units. And the Sequitors, I would either replace the Libbies with them entirely or ditch them. They both fill the same role, so having them both is redundant (in my eyes at least). I would replace the Sequitors with either 5 more Retributors to make a very powerful hammer unit that you can buff further with the Castellant's lantern and/or the CV command ability letting them wound on 2s, or get a unit of Evocators instead. Their Mortal Wound output is nightmarish, and their Empower ability will make your Libbies more killy by buffing them to wounding on 3s. Combine that with the Vindicators command ability giving them +1 attacks with their blades and you can get a lot of damage out of that.

Quote:
-6 Castigators

-Celestar Ballista

Warscroll Battalion: Hailstorm Battery (Lord Ordinator, Castigators, Celestar Ballista).
Not a fan of Castigators mixed with Judicators myself. I'd rather just get more Judicators. And i'm planning to run the Ballistas in pairs to really maximise the artillery potential. That said this could be good, i'd try it and see what it's like.

Quote:
It's exactly 2000 points. The idea is to hold the Retributors and the Judicators in reserve and plop them down point blank on somebody once the Liberators and Sequitors, lead by the characters nearby, assault a flank of the enemy army and try to focus on small elements at a time rather than trying to engage the whole enemy army at once. The deep striking elements can pop up and intercept heavy elite units and sort of hard remove them. The ballista and castigators form a solid firebase and as long as the Lord Ordinator is somewhere nearby-ish, they become very, very accurate and can help with crowd control that could otherwise overwhelm the core 30 sword and board guys. The big flaw here is that there's not a wizard in the army. The Lord Relictor kind of makes up for it with his battle prayers, but I can't unbind anything my opponents cast. So I may swap him out for a Knight Incantor-- I don't know how strictly necessary magic defense ultimately is.
Interesting strategy but you can't deep strike point blank in AoS. You must deploy no less than 9" away from an enemy unit in any direction. So your Judicators would be fine but the Retributors would be in some trouble since they can't move that turn except to charge, and a 9" charge ain't easy to get off without re-roll abilities that they won't be able to get that turn because you'll have moved past the Hero Phase. To me that just makes them sitting ducks for your opponent to blast with every range option in their army, which a smart opponent will do because Retributors hit HARD. As for magic, yeah it's pretty important now that you can at least unbind the Endless Spells that most opponents will cast at some point, so a Knight Incantor will probably be a better choice than a Relictor for that reason, plus the Voidstorm Scrolls can really save your ass from a terrifying spell like Hand of Dust.

Hope you don't mind some thoughts, not an expert by any means (like the Space Marines, Stormcast are easy to learn but hard to master and i'm still mastering them), but just some thoughts that jump out as I read the list. Looking forward to seeing how your host proceeds. FOR SIGMAR AND AZYR!

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-18, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

I appreciate the input! I will definitely play around with the options some.
Lord of the Night likes this.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Age of Sigmar > Army Lists- Forces of Order

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode