Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

January Painting Deathmatch - Voting

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Dave T Hobbit 
#1 ·
Voting for

Voting in this deathmatch should be based not just on painting skill, but also for application of different painting techniques, individual artist improvement, creativity and originality etc.

In order to vote, you must pick your favourite 3 entries and list them in order of favourite to least favourite. For example I would vote:

1) Dave T Hobbit (favourite)
2) humakt (second favourite)
3) Viscount Vash (third favourite)

If you vote for an entry as your favourite that entry will recieve 3 points, if you vote for an entry as your second favourite it will recieve 2 points and if you vote for an entry as your third favourite it will recieve 1 point. Once voting is finished I will add up all of the results and the winner will be announced.

If you have entered but do not cast your vote, then no votes for you will count. This is to encourage voting and to ensure that we at least get some votes. If there are fewer than four entries, you do not have to cast all your votes.

Voting will close at midnight GMT, 10 February 2017. Any votes cast after this time may be disregarded. If you do not vote for 1st, 2nd and 3rd then your vote will also be disregarded.

Awards are as follows:
Participation: 1 reputation
3rd Place: 2 reputation
2nd Place: 3 reputation
1st Place: 4 reputation, receive Mark of Slaanesh during the quarterly Heresy Online Awards

(DO NOT VOTE FOR YOURSELF)

The Entries are below. There are more photographs of some entries in the Entry Thread:

DkMiBuch

Flatlinerunner

Chaosftw
Save

See less See more
#2 ·
1) DkMiBuch - I really like the technique you used on the marines shoulder pad quite a bit! I with you would have done that on the juggernaut as well though 😉. Ether way looks great! constant colour throughout the model, I like the alternate base and I really like the buildup of colour within the lightning.
2) Flatlinerunner - Your skin tone on that sister looks great! almost 17 years in the hobby and skin tones are something i avoid like the plague so kudos on that! I also like that you didn't go overboard with colours and I also like how you went about the hair. Nothing too crazy but at the same time you just didn't leave it flat back. You were able to give it depth by the few brush strokes of a light grey.
3) N/A

Hope to see you gents in the coming months events!

#4 ·
It's tough to decide.
The OSL and rust effects on Chaosftw's Monolith are very cool, but on the other hand Flatlinerunner has some impressive details. Especially the stuff like the lips and eyes. I also like the white robe.

I'm going with

1. Flatlinerunnner
2. Chaosftw

Hope you guys have entries next month as well!

#5 ·
@Chaosftw: Thank you for your words. To be honest: I'm really scared of painting skin-tone. I struggle every time with the shading and most of the times i think, 2 layers in 10 minutes would have been better then the result i achieved in 30. And regarding the hair: In my old SoB-army i gave every one another strong-saturated hair color, from neon-orange to punk-green.... uargh :D
@DkMiBuch: Thanks to you too. As i said before, every face is a scary adventure for me, but your feedback really helps me to not give up :) Oh and the robe is something i'm not really happy with. For me it appears way to 'thick'
Funny that both of you like especially the parts which i feel are my week spots. Seems like the training brings some result :)

So, this is really not easy to decide.
Chaosftw did a really amazing conversion- and paint-job, especially in this scale. The orange-rust and necron green makes an awesome couple. But on the other hand, DkMiBuch really hits the spot with the colors. But i have to agree with Chaosftw, you should have put a similar pattern on the juggernaut ;)

I'm giving

1. Chaosftw
2. DkMiBuch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.