The Age of Sigmar is Nigh. - Page 23 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Age of Sigmar All Age of Sigmar discussion in here. As the section grows we'll expand it into its own cateogory.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #221 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-05-15, 05:45 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

I went down to my local GW today and played a quick game of AoS. My thoughts;

As I was playing right away I felt the game was easy to get into. The scenario I played involved using the Stormcast Persecutors, a unit of three, against the twenty Blood Marauders of the Goretide. My goal was to either annihilate them or pass through them and reach the other side of the map. My opponent, who was a veteran fantasy player, gave me some tips as I had never played before and I managed to win thanks to the versatility of the range/melee Persecutors and some unlucky dice rolls on my opponents part. I didn't have to sit down with a four-hundred page rulebook before playing, I didn't have to spend minutes prior to each move flicking through the book for references, and I could easily understand the capabilities of my unit at a glance.

Upon further reading I am very pleased by the ability to use whatever units you want. My biggest obstacle to WHFB was that I didn't want to spend a couple hundred pounds on a Skaven or Dark Elf force of a decent size, and I didn't want to be painting that many figures for a single army. Now though; I can just put down a Grey Seer, a pair of Stormfiends and some Stormvermin and play. Maybe a Doomwheel as well or a Hell Pit Abomination. I can play with the models I have with no need to go out and buy more just to reach a particular and arbitrary army size. Another benefit here is that I don't need to constantly change my army, when a cool new Stormcast unit comes out, I can just buy one or two boxes and add them to my army like that *clicks fingers*. I don't have to budget my army points to suit what units I like and what units are actually good, I can have both.

The Alliances also offer up a wide variety of armies. If I want to build an Empire/Dwarf (Duardin) force I can very easily, or perhaps Lizardmen (Seraphon)/Druchii (Dark Aelfs). Ogres and Orcs as well. The scenarios were also fun to play with a real story narrative behind them; the premise of the one I mentioned above is that the Persecutors had to reach the Gate of Azyr and unlock it in order to allow Stormcast reinforcements to aid the few units already in battle. The Blood Marauders were trying to stop them and either succeed or fail based on your efforts, leading to the next scenario where the Persecutors join with the forces already there (from the previous scenario) and establish a beach-head for reinforcements. A natural progression that made the scenario fun from a lore perspective as well as a gaming perspective.

Any hesitation I had is gone, I will be getting into AoS through this. And i'll be playing Stormcast Eternals who take the award for Most Badass Good Guys I have ever seen.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 07-05-15 at 07:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-05-15, 08:16 PM

Einherjar667's Flag is: USA

I had my first game last night. Played a simple one on one and felt it was pretty fun, balanced and easy to start. Went in completely cold only took about 45 minutes to learn and set up
post #223 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-05-15, 09:50 PM

SilverTabby's Flag is: United Kingdom

Is it just me, out have people completely missed that whilst you can play this as a skirmish game, if you chose to use ranked units *it still works*...

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
1) Never give out all the information

A random collection of my stuff

post #224 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-05-15, 10:21 PM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

I took my kids down to GW today and they seemed enthused by the idea. They picked a unit each, Daemonettes of Slaanesh for my daughter, and my son chose Chaos Knights. The store was busy, with plenty of people playing AoS, so we decided to take home our units, build them and play a game.
I had a unit of Bugmans Rangers from back in the day and I faced off against the pair of them.
In the end, we had a lot of fun. The kids enjoyed themselves, and we managed to smash out a quick game before bed with no problems at all.
Both of them love their little armies, and want to collect more. So in essence, GW have achieved exactly what they set out to do.
Plus I managed to play with Bugman and his Rangers for the first time ever since I first saw them in the 80's. So I count that as a win.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150704-First_Game-small.jpg (474.0 KB, 17 views)
post #225 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-05-15, 10:22 PM

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

I don't think that's the most common complaints I've heard. Most critisism from ppl who have played it seems to boil down to:

- Balancing for a PuG is needed (wounds don't seem to always cut, especially if ogres are involved along with the sudden death rule).

- Most games end up with one giant mosh pit in the centre of the board that's just one giant barbrawl with lots of pile-in moves.

Sad, because I've been looking for an excuse to buy some of those lovely end-times models (The undead and skaven ones mostly)... but I can't say that the feedback I've been reading has been very reassureing (and I am trying to filter out complaints from people who sound like complete whiners from the very first sentence they write).

I had an AMAZING time at fightclub.

I arrived a bit late, so I missed the introductions, but man... I had an awesome time at fightclub! 10/10 I would recommend fight club to anybody!
post #226 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-05-15, 10:23 PM

Einherjar667's Flag is: USA

Some new Stormcast Eternal models. Probably for an upcoming kit.
post #227 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-06-15, 11:57 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Some stuff from Gamesday:

"GW had a guy camped out at the Forge World open day whos entire job was to answer questions and talk to people about Age of Sigmar. His entire job is to go to shows and talk to people about the new game. For the first time I think ever they're taking Age of Sigmar to Gencon, Comic Con, all the major wargames conventions in Europe etc. They're throwing a considerable amount of money at putting this in front of new audiences who have never played fantasy before. He was also brutally honest and didn't dodge any questions and answered everything he could. I'll start with the negative stuff first.

This is it. There categorically will not be a '9th' edition of fantasy. Age of Sigmar is the only thing fantasy related GW will do for the considerable future.

He acknowledges that the 'funny' rules are rather silly and don't make for a great intro to the system for new people. His response was that the armies in the box set don't have the silly rules. They're there as kind of a celebration and final send off of the old warhammer armies, and he said you might notice the new armies don't have the stupid noises or imaginary friends. This is deliberate, its designed that you'll only generally play the old stuff with your mates since it's a bit embarassing to play in a public place.

The new races will look different to the old ones. Ooruks will not look the same as the orcs we currently have. As such, when they get round to releasing Ooruks, the old models will cease production. He did say that you can still use your old models as ooruks, but you won't be able to buy normal orc boys again.

There will never be points values.

On to the slightly positive stuff then.

They are going to fully support all modes of play, and will be releasing rules to balance armies against each other. There will be narrative campaigns where your forces are picked for you for specific missions, and there will be a system for tournament players to balance lists that isn't based on model count. He did not know the specifics of this, but said it is definitely coming.

The rules will always be free. He said that they are very very aware that fantasy had a massive buy in for someone to get started, as such the game was designed with the ability to play it with one box of models. There will be army books, but every rule in them will be available, for free, online. The books will just have extra background info and scenarios.

GW really are trying harder than they ever have before to make this work. If you're at one of the shows go and talk to them. They want to talk to you about this, but especially they want your feedback on it. As he said, this is totally uncharted territory for them and they are totally open to rules revisions as they go."

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #228 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-06-15, 12:06 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

I respect them trying something new and they seem to take a huge gamble this time around. Regardless if they succeed or fail, I take my hat off to them.
post #229 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-06-15, 12:07 PM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einherjar667 View Post

Some new Stormcast Eternal models. Probably for an upcoming kit.
THAT little pet griffin! I want it! its so cute!
post #230 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-06-15, 02:04 PM

Roganzar's Flag is: USA

Some of the silly rules are down right hilarious. My favorite so far is the Slaaneshi lord on mount in Warriors of Chaos.
"Lord of Forbidden Pleasure: It is wise not to gaze to long upon the splendour of a Lord of Slaanesh, lest terrible notions begin to form. If an enemy unit finishes its pile in move within 3" of a Lord of Slaanesh, you can tell your opponent that they are in danger of being beguiled. From that point on, if your opponent looks you in the eye before the unit has made its hit rolls for that combat phase, subtract 1 from any of those rolls which target this model."
Broke out laughing as soon as I read that. I've only gone through a couple of warscrolls so far, but I hope there are more of these.

01010100 01101111 01100001 01110011 01110100 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110110 01100101 01110010 01111001 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100001

Forge World Sidera Maris project.

Warhammer Age of Sigmar project

Horus Heresy project

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Age of Sigmar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode