The Age of Sigmar is Nigh. - Page 19 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Age of Sigmar All Age of Sigmar discussion in here. As the section grows we'll expand it into its own cateogory.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-04-15, 07:59 AM

tu_shan82's Flag is: Australia

After having gone through some of the war scrolls for the existing range of miniatures I'm really, really impressed. The game looks really fun to play and the, units have got some really cool, characterful special rules, which is pretty cool coming from a 40k perspective where a lot of the units refer to universal special rules from the BRB. To be honest if 40k went in this direction I'd play with both the new rule set aswell as the now current 7th Ed set, because I'd still have my books. Sure we wouldn't get any new units for existing armies, but since necrons the armiesthat already existed haven't received any new units anyway, only recut sprues for existing units with some new unit options. I understand AoS, as it exists won't be suitable for tourney play, but I don't really think it will be to hard to play a balanced game with a little common sense and communication between opponents. Typically units which would be considered elite in one army are a pretty good match for units that would be considered elite in another army, having similar number of wounds, similar saves and weapons not too dissimilar, whilst still being unique and having flavorful special rules. To be honest I don't think it's anymore unbalanced than 7th Ed 40k, where one army can get hundreds of points worth of free wargear just by taking units in certain combinations, while other armies could take the same units and not get the bonuses, I'm comparing the three early 7th SM codeci I to the latter two here. I think this system could go a long way in eradicating codex/army book and editon creep, while moving towards a living, evolving rule set. I plan on starting a chaos AoS army and the firs unit I'll be adding are the five blight kings I bought when I the glottkin book came out, only to be told that they suck by people online and in real life and not to bother taking them, after having read the war scroll they look like they'll be useful from a gaming perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
We don't need to use any military force to defeat the imperium, we'll just send GW legal at them. As soon as they see the first sign of a thunderhawk gunship, their IP infringement addled brains will go into meltdown - they'll smash everything out of the sky with cease and desist letters.

Last edited by tu_shan82; 07-04-15 at 08:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-04-15, 10:45 AM

Tha Tall One's Flag is: Netherlands

I shall not deny the new models are well-sculpted, but they look absolutely ridiculous.
post #183 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-04-15, 11:11 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu_shan82 View Post
After having gone through some of the war scrolls for the existing range of miniatures I'm really, really impressed. The game looks really fun to play and the, units have got some really cool, characterful special rules, which is pretty cool coming from a 40k perspective where a lot of the units refer to universal special rules from the BRB. To be honest if 40k went in this direction I'd play with both the new rule set aswell as the now current 7th Ed set, because I'd still have my books. Sure we wouldn't get any new units for existing armies, but since necrons the armiesthat already existed haven't received any new units anyway, only recut sprues for existing units with some new unit options. I understand AoS, as it exists won't be suitable for tourney play, but I don't really think it will be to hard to play a balanced game with a little common sense and communication between opponents. Typically units which would be considered elite in one army are a pretty good match for units that would be considered elite in another army, having similar number of wounds, similar saves and weapons not too dissimilar, whilst still being unique and having flavorful special rules. To be honest I don't think it's anymore unbalanced than 7th Ed 40k, where one army can get hundreds of points worth of free wargear just by taking units in certain combinations, while other armies could take the same units and not get the bonuses, I'm comparing the three early 7th SM codeci I to the latter two here. I think this system could go a long way in eradicating codex/army book and editon creep, while moving towards a living, evolving rule set. I plan on starting a chaos AoS army and the firs unit I'll be adding are the five blight kings I bought when I the glottkin book came out, only to be told that they suck by people online and in real life and not to bother taking them, after having read the war scroll they look like they'll be useful from a gaming perspective.
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement - However there is one dealbreaker for me in this game: There are no points of any kind. At all.

There is no way to agree on the scope of the match and/or if the opposing players are bringing the same size force. As long as this is not in the game, making it very hard to at least try to maintain some kind of balance in games, I don't see myself investing a huge deal in this game beyond my already owned Daemon forces, that are on round bases due to 40k.

I tried the game at my local store this morning, and honestly it's quite fun. Streamlined, but fun. The way to balance the two opposing armies though... Yeah..

Are there quirks? Aye there are. The "Sudden death" rules states that if you are outnumbered by a third of your number of models you can choose to take one of the special rules. So if you play Skaven, you are pretty much guaranteed that the opponent will be taking Sudden Death rules for example.

Am I intrigued? Hell yes.
Will I play it, until some 3rd party makes a point system? Not sure.

post #184 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-04-15, 01:00 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ok my first thought on seeing these models is this; anyone whose been calling that Sigmar Lord's mount a Battlecat is wrong. That mother****er is a dragon with no wings! My more detailed thoughts are;

One Lord-Celestant - Really liking this guy. He has a gothic grimdark look to him, yet also with an element of hope and awe that the Forces of Order finally have a group that can take the fight right to the Chaos Gods and make their slaves shudder. The Stormcast Eternals (LOVE that name). His mount is gorgeous, a drake or wingless dragon, and I love the ornamentation across both of them.

One Lord-Relictor - Liking this guy. A much more austere and imposing figure than his comrades, yet clearly the fantasy version of a Chaplain. I expect he will fulfill the same role both in-game and in-universe. The skull helm is beautiful, his icon is nice but perhaps a little bit much.

Three Retributors - Pretty damn good looking I think. The helmets are great and I like the more elite appearance these Stormcasts carry over their more common brethren. These will likely be TEQs and I especially like their great hammers.

Two units of five Liberators - Pretty sweet. Stormcast Eternals win the award for Best Looking Foot Soldier (Dark Eldar and Skitarii come in second place). Cool looking yet simple and unornamented enough to show that while they are the elite Angels of Sigmar, they are still basic soliders.

Three Prosecutors - LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!!!! Double hand-hammers! Sweet looking armor. But most importantly; THOOOOOOSE WIIIINGS!!!!! I would buy a box of these solely for the parts and conversion opportunities. My Angels of Chaos are closer than ever.

One Mighty Lord of Khorne - This guy looks like a badass. I especially LOVE that cute Flesh Hound he has slavering at the end of his leash. And that axe is begging to be either used here or given to a Khornate Terminator Lord or a Daemon Prince. Also liking his facial sculpt, looks daemonic but also human enough.

One Bloodsecrator - Admittedly the model I like the least. That icon is just too much. The concept is nice, but that thing belongs on a Warshrine, not being lugged by one guy whose body weight in full plate armor would be less than the damn thing he's carrying. I do love the skull-made chestplate though.

One Bloodstoker - Liking it. Makes me think of the Rancor Tamer from Star Wars Episode VI only turned to Chaos. The whip is also pretty damn nice, could use it here or give it to a Dark Eldar Sybarite along with an Agoniser Whip to create this in-game; (http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/c/...azorWhip-1.jpg)

One Khorgorath - Terrifying. This thing looks like a true Chaos monstrosity, not something random like Chaos Spawn or a Daemon, but rather something spit out from the darkest depths of the Warp and meant for nothing more than complete carnage.

Five Blood Warriors - Liking these guys. They look like classic Chaos Warriors but with a clear Khornate design to them, like what I think a Chaos Warriors of Khorne kit would have looked like if God-Devoted Warrior kits were available in addition to generic Warriors.

Two units of ten Bloodreavers - At first I didn't think i'd be a fan of these, but after seeing them I love them because they look like real marauders while also averting my greatest annoyance in fiction. Helmets, they have badass full-face helmets and that alone is enough to make them awesome in my eyes.

I will be getting this without a doubt, if this is the new Warhammer I want to be in on the ground floor right at the start. Also I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEED that Flayed One Flesh layer paint! I paint pale skin constantly and that pot would be perfect for my Dark Eldar Wracks.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 07-04-15 at 02:17 PM.
post #185 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-04-15, 02:07 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement - However there is one dealbreaker for me in this game: There are no points of any kind. At all.

There is no way to agree on the scope of the match and/or if the opposing players are bringing the same size force. As long as this is not in the game, making it very hard to at least try to maintain some kind of balance in games, I don't see myself investing a huge deal in this game beyond my already owned Daemon forces, that are on round bases due to 40k.

I tried the game at my local store this morning, and honestly it's quite fun. Streamlined, but fun. The way to balance the two opposing armies though... Yeah..

Are there quirks? Aye there are. The "Sudden death" rules states that if you are outnumbered by a third of your number of models you can choose to take one of the special rules. So if you play Skaven, you are pretty much guaranteed that the opponent will be taking Sudden Death rules for example.

Am I intrigued? Hell yes.
Will I play it, until some 3rd party makes a point system? Not sure.
Sums up my feelings as well.

I've checked out the Daemons list thoroughly, and it looks awesome. Even the basic troops have cool rules.

I'm sure some enterprising soul will come up with a good enough system to create a more or less even match-up soon enough, though.

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
post #186 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-04-15, 02:18 PM

So... I have not been a fan of WFB for years. Though I did like a few models, and things like the slaughterbeast (picky below) do make good alternatives to Maulerfiends (it is one that lost some or most of its armour depending if you want to convent, so it is more Daemon than Daemon Engine)

I personally think that the

would make good cultists. You can easily arm them up with spare guns from somewhere as needed.

The Khorne Warriors below are what I think I could learn to love as some form of Honour Guard for a CSM Khorne Lord. Again if you need some guns they aren't hard to find as well.
And if especially true if you had the leader as the guy below that. Using the Dog as a combat familiar or something if you wanted to be WYSIWYG

Other major things though is Marine Honour Guard Battle Standard (especially for Blood Angels)
Then 30k Siege Breakers
And I wouldn't be surprised if a few Grey Knights or Inquisitors start looking like the 3rd picky. Or even have them represent custodians.

So overall the most of the models look great (though didn't like the spawny thing or Khorne Standard Bearer or guy with the whip. And I don't like the leader on the lizard thing.

As for the rules... yeah... they seem... yeah...

Seems like there is no points values at all or limit to the number of models you can bring. They have an incentive to bring the fewest models can have an advantage in being able to "Sudden Death" his opponent by doing some random thing where his opponent can select a character of his own or unit or something and you have to kill it or you need to claim a hill. Then you win...
Oh and not to mention take a Screaming Bell and Fateweaver for a T1 win...

Fatey rule
Oracle of Eternity: Once per game, you can change the result of a single dice roll to the result of your choosing.
Screaming Bell
Peal of Doom: In your hero phase, the Screaming Bell tolls. Roll two dice, add the scores together and consult the table below to see what happens (no modifiers can be applied to this roll). If a result says that it effects units ‘within range of the Peal of Doom’, consult the Damage Table above to see the current range of that effect.
Result
13 Improbable Victory!: Against all probability and reason, you immediately win the battle (and are hereafter branded a cheat – not that that should bother a true skaven general).

I can defiantly see what GW means when they say they are a model making company, not a rules making company.

Last edited by mayegelt; 07-04-15 at 02:35 PM.
post #187 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-04-15, 03:15 PM

Einherjar667's Flag is: USA

I am really excited by all of this. Honestly, the streamlining and simplifying of the rules appeals to me as it now makes the game quicker and easier to play. It's really hard coming in cold and trying to learn everything all at once, so I'm pretty pleased that we don't have to do this with this game.
post #188 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-04-15, 03:40 PM

I love the age of sigmar box, everything in it is really high quality and you get a heck of a lot for your money. The models are very high quality and look really nice, the background book is very nice and contains some extra scenarios etc. It also contains a full painting guide like they have released with 40 k which is also to a really good standard, much better than what I have seen before.

As a box itself I would love to play it, however as a full game with no points or balancing mechanic at all I am severely disappointed. You can't say 'We'll take X amount of models' as models vary in ability, see Ogres vs skeletons. Nor can you say okay have 2 heroes a monster and 3 units, as there are no set unit sizes, and heroes massively vary in ability. Organising a balanced game will be a huge pain as it would require knowledge of your opponents army and how it plays. If you were to do that it would require a fairly lengthy conversation to organise what people consider fair.

The atmosphere in store today really reflected this, everyone entered excited, picked up WD, looked at the warscrolls and immediately felt deflated and disappointed with how half baked it felt.

On the plus side though it does encourage people to play through set cinematic scenarios more, as people will be less concerned about balancing it and more about the narrative.

I'm dubious, and as it stands I won't be doing much in regards to AoS. But as there are meant to be many more releases over the next couple of weeks I'm holding out for what could come. From what I have heard from my local manager Scenery will be next, but they will have their own rules for interacting with them e.g. the magi archways let you teleport across the map.

As for 9th edition fantasy, I fail to see how anyone can cling on to the idea that it is coming, when AoS replaces all Warhammer logos on the website, and models are then being shown all with round bases, as well as the removal of all the armybooks and anything related to 8th, how could they go back and release a new edition would further anger people, as I expect many pepole will rebase their armies for aesthetic purposes, so to be told the NEED square bases again for a 9th edition makes no sense.

9th can't be coming, it simply doesn't make sense. Gw can sometime be ignorant of the customer bases wants, but this would be out right provocation and will consciously drive a lot of people away

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow

Last edited by falcoso; 07-04-15 at 03:58 PM.
post #189 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-04-15, 04:05 PM
Rattlehead

I'm going to wait for the upcoming releases and additions to the game, because while it looks bleak, there's enough good stuff in it as a foundation for me to have faith in the future of Age of Sigmar.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #190 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-04-15, 05:42 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

I don't get how you make an army, I've not been able to read the new white dwarf much but there's a lack of points on the warscrolls for the other armies.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Age of Sigmar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode