The Age of Sigmar is Nigh. - Page 13 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Age of Sigmar All Age of Sigmar discussion in here. As the section grows we'll expand it into its own cateogory.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 08:59 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

@elmir makes some very good points, fantasy battle has some serious cruxes, i have always considered it the "advanced" GW game, played by adult veterans who wanted a more mature game, nothing wrong with that, but that really isnt GWs bag but they stuck with it until peoples loyalty waned, much of what people are complaining about loosing are the same issues people have said prevent them starting the game, a massive 40+ man block of troops is ,generally expensive to buy, takes ages to build, longer to paint and lasts seconds in battle, mass ranked units are awesome in say a game of Ancients or Napoleonic battles where there are no "fantasy elements" , but chuck in wizards, massive deamons and dragons and those massive ranked units become tedious,lack character and individuality and are off putting for people wanting to start the game, when i used to play Empire i almost lost the will to live just putting models onto the board, even with movement trays and a perfectly smooth level flocked board my state troops would be face planting everwhich way if a fly farted in the garden.

other things people mention that put them off is cost of the rule books and army books, plus the size of the warhammer rule book, they are gone, they have made the rules simple and free, people in this very forum have preached the benefits of playing other systems because those companies have offered free downloadable rules , well here you go, a cheap to start, free rules, free army war scrolls, you can still use the model you own to play or you just carry on playing 6th/7th/8th or what ever.

There is a real positive buzz about this launch on social media, alot of people who dont play fantasy are really up for this because of the new minis, the lack of rank and file and the fact they dont have to hand over 80 for a rule book and army book before they even think about models, there are alot of people who are going to convert the shit out of those models because they love them.

I can see this being a run away success, i can also see a few other manufactures having a few sleepless nights over this new direction for GW.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 10:35 AM

Sworn Radical's Flag is: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einherjar667 View Post
And they've said themselves ALL armies are still valid and supported
And that's exactly what they didn't say.
They mentioned that all miniatures will be supported, but that certain (or a lot of) kits will be phased out over time.
There was never any hint that all armies would be supported.
There's quite a difference there.

This will be a new game, for good or ill.
Some people will like it (more power to them), and some might not.
Some folks will enjoy the streamlined no-brainer 'rules' .... others won't.
To each their own.

But cease telling people they will we able to play with their beloved armies in a new gaming environment, because that simply isn't the case. See above.

Also, IIRC, the mail GW had send out to their retailers specifically mentioned there won't be any more books.

Don't get me wrong. It's absolutely great that they tried to invent something 'new' ... Hooray for trying.
And personally, I couldn't care any less about this pile of horse manure that is the AoS rules, because I owned and enjoyed most of my WHFB armies (all six of them) for a long time and had lots and lots of fun with either casual games, beer & bretzel style evening or even competitive (how I hate that word) tournament style gaming.
BUT I can honestly feel the ire and irritation of all those people who'd just gotten into WHFB with the latest army book releases and invested large amounts of their hard earned money.

Peace.

40k Armies: Dark Eldar / Adepta Sororitas
WHFB Armies: Vampire Counts / Empire / various Elves
Horus Heresy: Alpha Legion / Warp Cult
post #123 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 11:12 AM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sworn Radical View Post
BUT I can honestly feel the ire and irritation of all those people who'd just gotten into WHFB with the latest army book releases and invested large amounts of their hard earned money.
"Screwed you we have! Care, we do not!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

post #124 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 12:08 PM

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sworn Radical View Post
And that's exactly what they didn't say.
They mentioned that all miniatures will be supported, but that certain (or a lot of) kits will be phased out over time.
There was never any hint that all armies would be supported.
There's quite a difference there.

But cease telling people they will we able to play with their beloved armies in a new gaming environment, because that simply isn't the case. See above.

And personally, I couldn't care any less about this pile of horse manure that is the AoS rules, because I owned and enjoyed most of my WHFB armies (all six of them) for a long time and had lots and lots of fun with either casual games, beer & bretzel style evening or even competitive (how I hate that word) tournament style gaming.

Peace.
Well, quite a few people will be able to translate their current armies to the modern rules (yay if you can). Some might not make the cut... And that sucks. But if you had a collection of old WHFB models, there's a pretty big chance that you'll be able to make a "massive army" in the new AoS system...

But even IF you do not care for the new direction, you can STILL enjoy your army... not in the new, but in the old setting. And seriously, if you are liking the old rules so much better, you can still play them.

Those 6 people who actually bought a new warhammer army in the last year (judging from the sales of that game) will be irritated for sure! I do feel for them.

Now that last one was cheeky, but it is true. I have a vast collection of rackham models that are now just for looks... The ship for WHFB was sinking (just like it started sinking for Rackham with a company stubbornly refusing to change/revert changes). If you think your collection was useless to game with, wait untill it has completely sunk and nobody plays it anymore.

I had an AMAZING time at fightclub.

I arrived a bit late, so I missed the introductions, but man... I had an awesome time at fightclub! 10/10 I would recommend fight club to anybody!
post #125 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmir View Post
... not in the new, but in the old setting. And seriously, if you are liking the old rules so much better, you can still play them.
Yup, my thoughts exactly.
I actually believe we'll see both games co-exist. Probably not in GW stores (though my local store manager will continue to support WHFB events), but in private or at events.
Some will play 8th ed. and others AoS.
All fine by me.

Quote:
Those 6 people who actually bought a new warhammer army in the last year (judging from the sales of that game) will be irritated for sure! I do feel for them.
Well, I'm not sure if it were only that few people who invested in new armies in 2014.
There were at least a dozen or so people in my area / gaming environment who started new armies last year (or even this year).

post #126 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 01:16 PM

Einherjar667's Flag is: USA

Not sure if this has any merit, but I keep seeing it pop up that AoS is NOT 9th Ed, it is the skirmish game we heard about originally. And that a mass battle 9th ed is coming soon. Harry even corroborated this. Unfortunately, I saw it on twitter last night so I can't seem to dig up the post.

Contrary to this though, GW has taken the 8th ed army books down in citing AoS as the reason why.

I wonder if this transition in itself will stimulate 8th ed sales. As in, the red boxes on the shelves, the 8th army books, etc. A lot of that stuff is going to be for sale at LGSs for a while. That could even veer GW back to a mass battle system, if AoS is indeed the way forward.

Last edited by Einherjar667; 07-01-15 at 01:19 PM.
post #127 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 02:29 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Has anyone had a look at the 'rules'. They are laughable. It takes me back to days when I didn't understand warhammer and played using made up rules randomly assigning dice to work out if killed it. How many points? there are nine. Take whatever bro!

I din't like the aesthetic

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #128 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 03:03 PM

I believe we're long past discussing the rules ... for good or ill.

post #129 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 03:38 PM

Einherjar667's Flag is: USA

On a more positive note. The rules are .PDFS, meaning they can be added to, altered, etc. I mean, we're seeing free rules, dare I say, maybe they will accept fan feedback?
post #130 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 04:41 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

I'll reserve judgement until I try it - I do like the thought of combining the systems of 40k and Fantasy. Maybe we can get rid of all the Ap2 and STR D non sense.

I will be checking it out with my Daemons.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Age of Sigmar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode