Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Will the emperor die in OUR lifetime?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Tzeen Qhayshek 
#1 ·
Horus Heresy is the 'background' of the game, pretty much a major event I would say, will there be events as such in OUR next few years of 40k gaming? I am interested to see what fiction will be written in the future.

Will the emperor finally die?
Will Corax reappear?
Will Robute Guilliman fiinally stop being a living statue?
Will Lion El'Jonson finally come out of the closet?
Will there be chapters currently existing completely wiped out?

#4 ·
There will be chapters currently exsisting that will be wiped out because there are books that mention chapters that were wiped out in living memory.
Why would they turn off Robute Guillimans stasis anyways?
Emperor wont die.
Corax wont show up, it isnt the end of times yet.
Lion El Johnson wont come out the closet, its a primarch thing.

#7 · (Edited)
The Golden Throne has been starting to fail since 2nd edition. Ok, so maybe that is an exaggeration, but it feels like they always tease that the Emperor hangs on by a thread etc etc. They are never going to kill the Emperor or advance the story, they will just backfill.

That being said, I could easily see G-Dub publishing, through Black Library, an end of times series should the IP cease being profitable and interesting. In our lifetime though? I doubt it.

#10 ·
Today on the heresy show, we learn how to make good fluff!

Okay, we will need:

An Emperor.
A Warmaster.
Heresy.
A massive rebellion named after someone called Horus.
Some life.
Some death.
The Internet.

Okay, let's get cooking!

First we place the Emperor into our cooking bowl, don't worry about being dainty with him, he can handle it (Unless you're an Ork Warboss >_>).

We then place the Warmaster into a separate bowl. Remember, this is important. We then add heresy into the bowl and BAM!

We have our Massive rebellion (I may have lied about you needing that one earlier on).

Anyway, so now we simply add the two bowls together, add a sprinkle of life, a dash of death and essentially, that is what the current situation is and always will be.

Unless, of course, you added the Internet.

You really shouldn't have done that.

TLDR; The storyline won't be progressing. Be happy with the black library fiction and the smaller stories of the Night Lords, the Imperial Guard, the Ultramarines, the Iron Warriors, etc. It's all about the small things that are happening now, more than the Emperor. Honestly, I think they're just trying to avoid him and flesh out smaller players.

I'm ok with that for now though, just as long as I get my Night Lords fluff books...

#11 ·
To be fair, all the stuff between the end of the Horus Heresy and the end of the 41st Millennium covers roughly twice the length of time as all of recorded human history and encompasses not one planet but the whole galaxy. There is probably enough material there for at least a few books and maybe a short story or two.

#12 ·
Dogbeard is spot-on. There's 10,000 yrs+ of Imperial history, and what we know of it barely scratches the surface. Not only is that a hell of a long time, the galaxy is vast; a Black Crusade may be going on in one place, but something just as big/important may be going on on the other side. Not to mention the millions of conflicts that flare across the various Sectors eavh year. GW could put a major event in each of these 10,000+ yrs, and we'd still have centuries-worth of fluff writing to go before we'd get a proper history of an Imperial galaxy. Then add important events from the POV of the other major races in the galaxy and we have even more stuff to look into.
TL;DR we don't need to move forwards when we don't even know the full history of where 'now' has come from.

GFP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.