Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - When am I too old to become a Space Marine?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-11, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Engindeer

Default When am I too old to become a Space Marine?

Exactly at what age am I to be deemed 'too old' to be trained as a Space Marine?

Contradictory sources has led me to this question.

Example 1:

Luther and his bunch of pre-crusade Calibanite Knights were established as adult space marines with powerful technology, most of which are now the fallen.

Whether or not they were a match for other Space Marines is irrelevant. They were considered Astartes, even though they've reached adulthood, when inducted.

Example 2:

40k - Black Carapace

(Excerpt from 'The Creation of a Space Marine')

Listed below is the complete set of implants used:
  • Phases 1-3 can be introduced at the same time, ideally between 10 and 14 years of age.
  • Phases 4 and 5 can be introduced at the same time, ideally between 12 and 14 years of age.
  • Hypnotherapy normally begins at phase 6, ideally sometime between 14 and 17 years of age.
  • Phases 7 to 9 are normally introduced simultaneously, ideally at a point between 14 and 16 years old. The following series of organs are also ideally implanted between the ages of 14 and 16.
  • Phases 14 and 15 may be introduced at the same time, ideally between 15 and 16 years of age. The remaining series of implants are then ideally introduced to the recipient between the ages of 16 and 18
So it does say 'ideally', right? As in it would be more beneficial to implant them in adolescence, but still doesn't rule out the possibility of implanting them beyond 18 years of age. Besides the youth of the aspirants, only 10 years of age, would probably need a baby-sitter more than a chaplain! What worth could a ten-year old, concievably prove in the eyes of a Space Marine, even if he was from a feral world?

Example 3:

40k - Lukas The Trickster

This Space Wolf bedded a dozen women on a single night, which must have been before his induction into the Space Wolves, as Space Marines are sexually impotent by physiology. If Lukas was just a 14-year old boy as he pimped out, I would say it makes the whole story unbelievable.

So I've given my examples. Do you have anything to add, like a source stating that 'at this age, a man cannot be inducted as a scout'?

Last edited by Engindeer; 03-21-11 at 11:01 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome