Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - Who are the people in your neighborhood!
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-08, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Hespithe
Hespithe's Flag is: USA

Default Who are the people in your neighborhood!

...in your neighborhood, in your neighborhood, oh! Who are the people in your neighborhood? The people that you meet each day!

Mr. Rogers is scary.

If you haven't guessed, this is the place to talk about your neighborhood gaming scene. We have members from all over the world, and while many post interesting tidbits in their intro threads, we really do not get a good glimpse of what the hobby may be like in their neck of the woods.

I'm from Texas in the US. In my area, we have gamers ranging from their teens to a few senior citizens. Most of our gaming community is relaxed, though we have our WAAC gamers as well. The larger cities are a bit more competitive and often hold RT tourneys that don't restrict much of anything, so Storm of Chaos and other lists are permitted, not restricted. WHFB has a slight larger following than 40K, and the Fanatic games, as well as those from other games companies are seen regularly. We have our gamers, and our hobbyists, and love to throw down in tourneys, where appearance is usually a deciding factor in the overall scores. Comp and Sportsmanship are issues that are debated like clockwork, and never seem to be satisfactory. The larger cities have multiple GW's (I think 3 or 4 in the Dallas area, and a couple in Houston as well, though in SETX where I live there are only Indy Retailers. Most seem to be very nice and understanding of our needs as gamers. Our local shoppe does not offer discounts of any sort, but has a large room with 10 4x8 tables set aside for our use, and our club can fill them to the brim with terrain. Our local tourneys usually go for about 10-15 bucks per entry and the prize money is split into 2 or 3 places depending upon how many entrants arrive for it. I tend to prefer to run $5 tourneys so that more people can play, giving the younger group an opportunity to compete with the older set. The two youngest members (my son being one) have placed and won prize money, too!

Well that's my Southeast Texas neighborhood in a gamer's nutshell. How about yours!

....oh! Who are the people in your neighborhood....

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome