Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - First Black Library Book You Ever Read?
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-16-11, 09:28 AM
Phoebus
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

I think the first thing I read by Black Library was the short story collection that had William King's "Deathwing" in it.

I can't say it was--or is--one of my favorites, but it opened my eyes to the possibilities of stories set in a very dystopian far-future, in which there is only war. "Storm of Iron", by Graham McNeill was the first Black Library book I really enjoyed, with engaging characters and ideas* that are sadly not as prevalent anymore.

* E.g, the sort of brutal idealism that Honsou espouses, wherein Chaos is the best avenue for Humanity, if we are all to survive in a brutal universe. I found the idea of the Chaos Space Marines hating the Imperium and the loyalist Astartes but at the same time still seeing themselves as "the right side" (and in a weird way as champions of mankind) to be very appealing.

Unfortunately, said motif has been replaced by much more cut-and-dry villains. Anthony Reynolds' Word Bearers stories were very good, for instance, but ultimately there was no redeeming quality to his protagonists.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome