- peronsal icon
1 Sorcerer
- Melta Bombs
- Doombolt
- Rhino

FAST ATTACK

HEAVY SUPPORT

2 Obliterators - 150 pts

1,500 points (its missing around 90 points not sure what to put into this)

HQ

1 Daemon Prince - 205 Pts
- Wings
- Mark of Tzeentch
- Warptime
- Wind of Chaos

TROOPS

9 Thousand Sons - 322 Pts
- peronsal icon
1 Sorcerer
- Melta Bombs
- Doombolt
- Rhino

- peronsal icon
1 Sorcerer
- Melta Bombs
- Doombolt
- Rhino

FAST ATTACK

8 Raptors - 255 pts
- Icon of Tzeentch
- aspiring champion
- lighting claws
- melta bombs
- 2 flamers

HEAVY SUPPORT

2 Obliterators - 150 pts

2 Obliterators - 150 pts

2,000 points

HQ

1 Daemon Prince - 205 Pts
- Wings
- Mark of Tzeentch
- Warptime
- Wind of Chaos

TROOPS

- peronsal icon
1 Sorcerer
- Melta Bombs
- Doombolt
- Rhino

- peronsal icon
1 Sorcerer
- Melta Bombs
- Doombolt
- Rhino

- peronsal icon
1 Sorcerer
- Melta Bombs
- Doombolt
- Rhino

FAST ATTACK

8 Raptors - 255 pts
- Icon of Tzeentch
- aspiring champion
- lighting claws
- melta bombs
- 2 flamers

8 Raptors - 265 pts
- Icon of Tzeentch
- aspiring champion
- lighting claws
- melta bombs
- 2 melta guns

HEAVY SUPPORT

2 Obliterators - 150 pts

2 Obliterators - 150 pts

Well the Girlfriend is thinking of getting into 40k and really likes the theme for the 1k sons and so i made her up a quick bunch of lists and was wondering what i can do to improve each of the lists, but the tiny trick is the 1k list if a starting block for the 1.5k list and that list is a block for the 2k list, so it would be fantastic if you guys and girls can give me a hand!!
Thanks in advance! :so_happy:

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and welcome. My question for you is, are you looking for a Thousand Sons theme or a Tzeentch theme? People here seem to get a little mixed up about exactly what that means.

Simply put, if I give you advice on what to use, do you want a fragment of the Thousand Sons legion

or

A Tzeentch themed amy that has elements of the Thousand Sons in it, i.e. the Troop Choice and a fluffy sorcerer but also has marked units that arent rubrics and stuff like that. Kind of like a Mono-Tzeentch warband

I have ideas for both, but just let me know a which you prefer so I don't waste both our times recommending things you don't want.

Also, well done using a theme :eek:k:

#3 ·
I would rather look into a mono tzeentch list, just for a bit more variety in what units can be used in the army

#4 ·
Great news about getting your girlfriend involved.

Anyway, you need more troops at the 1'500 and 2'000 point levels.

Thousand Sons are expensive squads, so I'd consider some Chaos Space Marines with the Icon of Tzzentch to add in some flexibility to the force.

Here's what I'd go with:

1'000 points - HQ: Tzzentch sorcerer with Doombolt & Bolt of change - 165 points.

7 Thousand Sons & Aspiring Sorcerer with Doombolt, Rhino - 266 points.

7 Thousand Sons & Aspiring Sorcerer with Doombolt, Rhino - 266 points.

Vindicator with Daemonic Possession - 145 points.

Total - 987 points.

1'500 points: - HQ: Tzzentch sorcerer with Doombolt & Bolt of change - 165 points.

10 Chaos Space Marines, Icon of Tzzentch, 2 Plasma Guns, Champion with Powerfist, Rhino - 295 points.

8 Thousand Sons & Aspiring Sorcerer with Bolt of Change, Rhino - 304 points.

8 Thousand Sons & Aspiring Sorcerer with Doombolt, Rhino - 289 points.

Total - 1'488 points

2'000 points - HQ: Tzzentch Sorcerer with Familair, Doombolt, Bolt of change & Warptime - 195 points.

Tzzentch Sorcerer with Familiar, Doombolt, Bolt of Change & Warptime - 195 points.

10 Chaos Space Marines, Icon of Tzzentch, Plasma Gun & Missile Launcher, Champion with Powerfist, Rhino - 290 points.

8 Thousand Sons & Aspiring Sorcerer with Bolt of Change, Rhino - 304 points.

#5 · (Edited)
Right lets get to work.

1000pts (29 models) (2 Vehicles) (999pts)

HQ
Chaos Sorcerer, Wings, Wind of Chaos, 160pts

TROOPS
10 CSM, Champion, Powerfist, IOT, x2 Meltaguns, Rhino, 285pts

8 Thousand Sons, 1 Sorcerer, Doombolt, Meltabombs, Rhino, 294pts

FAST ATTACK
9 CSM Raptors, Champion, Powerfist, IOT, x2 Meltaguns, 260pts

1500pts (38 Models) (4 vehicles) (1498pts)

HQ
Chaos Sorcerer, Wings, MOT, Warptime, Wind of Chaos, 205pts

TROOPS
10 CSM, Champion, Powerfist, IOT, x2 Meltaguns, Rhino, 285pts

FAST ATTACK

HEAVY SUPPORT
Defiler 150pts

2000pts (47 models) (6 vehicles) (1485pts)

HQ
Chaos Sorcerer, Wings, MOT, Personal Icon, Familiar, Gift of Chaos, Warptime, Wind of Chaos, 240pts

TROOPS
10 CSM, Champion, Powerfist, IOT, x2 Meltaguns, Rhino, Combi-Flamer,295pts

8 Thousand Sons, 1 Sorcerer, Doombolt, Meltabombs, Combi-Flamer, Rhino, 304pts

8 Thousand Sons, 1 Sorcerer, Doombolt, Meltabombs, Combi-Flamer, Rhino, 304pts

9 Lesser Daemons, 117pts

FAST ATTACK

HEAVY SUPPORT
Defiler 150pts

Defiler, 150pts

Chaos Predator, Twin-linked Lascannon, Lascannon Sponsons, 165pts

Some of these (the 2000pts in particular) arent optimized completely for a stomp your face tournament style list. But they all hopefully offer you a rough guide for your army. Plus they will be themed and hopefully good fun to play and play against.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks a bunch for these lists! I'll most likely use both of yours ideas to help make up something that has both of these elements, but I do have to see what the missis likes after all haha.
Edit: what about elites in this kind of force, I know dreads and possessed aren't the best but what about termies or chosen, just asking really to see if they have a place in these kinds of lists?

#7 ·
Not really, most Chaos Marine lists consist of one or two HQ choices, two-four troops and then as much heavy support as is feasible.

Which isn't to say elites don't offer good choices, I've had great success with Terminators and Dreadnaughts in the past, but elites aren't essential for Chaos Marines in the way they are for say, Space Marines or Orks.

Besides if your going for a fluffy approach to Thousand Sons, you need all the points you can spare for the Thousand Sons themselves.

#8 ·
chosen are sadly your best choice within the elite section! I say sadly coz I love dreads but they don't carry much love! Anyway yer chosen with a bucket load of melta for MC slaying or veichle hunting! i personally find a mix of 3 melta and 2 flamer works well! But most people preach spam! Liking the tzeencth theme, the modelling side of it should be fun indeed! One thing though try and keep all squads to 9!

#9 ·
Thanks for the comments, really gets me thinking on what can be effective for tzeentch lists.

#10 ·
im not going to build you lists. Because everyone splay style is different. But if you want to go Tsons themed and still want to be effective you could have maybe 1 squad of 9 Tsons and the rest just have Vanilla Marines with MoT. The reason is the Sons are great fire support (key word support) but massing them I have found (unless you have like 3-5 squads of them) if you dont kill whats in front of you and they assault you... your tactics are messed. Tsons really suck in cc due to their 1 attack base and not benefiting from the cc wep and postil option. Also Rhinos are a great aid from a offensive and defensive perspective.

I noticed you chose to use raptors I dont know if that is a good choice... The Chaos Raptors have really fell short of anything worth while in the new codex. They cant be given a Mark, they are very vulnerable, and they really never put out a good showing from what I have seen/heard. for the 255 points I would swap out for another DP in most cases.

Your DP idea is cool re-rolling on WoC the only problem with that is IF you melt enough... well you may fail the charge afterwords which means your in the open to be shot at again. I know you have the 4+ inv. but DP's tend to fall a lot faster to small arms fire. So another thing to think about is maybe replacing WoC with maybe Doom Bolt that way before a charge u fire off 3 shots (with re-rolls still) u may take out 1-3 in the squad to lighten the load and then barrel in. Just something to think about I am in no way saying your WT/WoC combo is not a nasty punch by any means!

Heavy Support for the Tsons is important because you want to ensure that any MeQ troops in vehicles get opened up so when those tsons get their "They can get to the Juicy Bits." So Maybe a single Vindi, and 1-2 squads of Oblits is an option, A pread with JUST the TL LC and Daemonic possession for 125 points its a nice front armour 13 vehicle.

There are a lot of things to consider but I do think trying to stay fluffy is unique and ballsy so I give you props on that for sure! Dont give in to the few people around here that give you their generic power game list. I mean if your just looking to win games then maybe... but the satisfaction of winning with an army that I came up with is just more satisfying to me at the end of the day.

Best of luck in the hunt!

Cheers,
Chaosftw

#11 ·
Thanks the all those tips on my list and giving me a insight to using the sons as a support unit not as an army, I'll have a look into that with the gf and see what way she wishes to go, thanks again!
The raptors were for a quick assault unit to stop the sons being assault or as a counter assault unit

#12 ·
Hey no problem! Sons are awesome but they can be discouraging sometimes just because they can be out out manoeuvred. I figured thats what the raptors were for but honestly you could put a squad of lightning claw termies in a LR and that would divert so much fire from the tsons lol (obviously need a larger point game) but I think you get the idea. the biggest thing is testing. Just keep playing your army and just see what works!

Again best of luck!

Cheers,
Chaosftw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.