Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Random Questions

125K views 1K replies 169 participants last post by  Brother Emund 
#1 ·
Do you have any questions that don't really seem to fit any other threads and feel it wouldn't be worth making a new one just for it? I thought it would be neat to make this thread for everybody so I'll start off...

How long does it aprox take to become a space marine? This includes everything from after being selected until being part ov a chapter. And also, how long do techmarines have to train on Mars?

#39 ·
Is the discharge of a Melta-gun/Multi-Melta visible to the naked eye?

From the descriptions I've read, the weapon heats its target through the use of microwave energy, which I believe, is invisible. But I believe I read in the BL book Fallen Angels that when their Melta-gunner fired on the rebel APC's, it emitted a 'beam' of some sort. (I lent the book to a friend so can't verify).

#41 ·
I believe that normally melta weapons do discharge a visible light.

In ""Path of the Warrior" a squad of fire dragons in some fortifications fire red hot beams of light on the orks and their transports. So I believe the light is a volcanic red in colour.

#43 ·
Well, I'm not good with math, but I seem to recall that inertia is measured by mass, not weight. So, even if an object only weighs half what it should (100kg sword weighing only 110lb instead of 220lb), it will still hit with the same force regardless of weight, why? Because you're not always dropping the eviscerator on their head, you're sometimes smashing it sideways, or if you do drop it down, you might pull it down faster than gravity with your abs, legs, arms and back, causing its speed to increase beyond what gravity would do anyways. An Eviscerator has chainsaw blades with monomolecular edges. If you give someone an equally sized sword with a power field on it? Watch out, they'll rend tanks and titans if they can get close enough!

#46 ·
Depends on a multitude of factors:

Strength and proximity of nearby warp rifts if any.
Strength of the barriers between warp and realspace. This in turn depends on number of psykers in the area. Sects or cults of worshippers can also help.
Any ritual summoning spells can maintain them indefinitely so long as the spell is continually powered.

So for example, a typical world with a low rate of psykers may only provide a small window for daemonic incursion, lasting only months or weeks.

A stronger window (high ratio of vulnerable psykers or cultists) could doom a world for years or centuries, and a world such as those within the EoT or Maelstrom will sustain daemons forever.

This is of course, a very generalised view of it, given from the opinion of someone who has a very scientific way of looking at things. (necron player...) Someone else may be able to give a more detailed answer.

CotE? :)

#50 ·
In DoW Tembest (third book in the series) Ahriman and his cabal manage to open up a fair diddley of a warp portal to hack into the webway and find their way to a harlequin planet.

From the Cabal`s view, Ahriman cojures the power by himself, but in reality his is being aided by unseen daemons which are slaved to his will by arcane knowledge.

Knowledge is power. :victory: And he guards it well.

So, to answer your question, it really depends on how talented the individual(s) in question are. A sorcerer like Ahriman would have little trouble damning a world if he really put his mind to it (which thankfully he hasn`t) but a lesser sorcerer may only manage a temporary seance.

Likewise from a daemon`s view, it would depend on his strength relative to the psykers` in the chosen area.

A backwater world with a recent emergence of psyker births would be easy prey for any decent greater daemon to crack. But a world full of trained and conditioned psykers (think GK on Titan) would be utterly impossible. <cough> :cool:

#51 ·
I like talking on the subject of daemons a lot I've noticed:grin: and I have two more questions;

When daemons are "formed" how do they become associated with gods? I think that they all initialy start off as having no allegiance but i don't know.

Does anybody know where I can find art depicting the warp? I know it's supposed to be incomprehensable but I just wanted to know.

#52 ·
When daemons are "formed" how do they become associated with gods? I think that they all initialy start off as having no allegiance but i don't know.
Because daemons are formed by the gods themselves. The gods extract a tiny fraction of their overall power and mould it into a seperate and individual consciousness which then becomes a daemon. The daemons then share their patrons aspect and characteristics. The daemons are governed by their patron gods despite retaining individual ambitions and personalities. Although a Chaos God is able to ensure the loyalty of its daemon children by retaining the ability to retract its own essence from the daemon, which in the process destroys the daemon's essence.

#55 ·
Probably the same pictures.

Ok I have a question and it's concerning the power pack of Space Marines. So if an opponent were to disable the pack for any reason would the Space Marine armoured suit shut thus not allowing him to move or anything? I guess then all the enemy would have to do is get a really big rock.

#174 · (Edited)
power packs

Probably the same pictures.

Ok I have a question and it's concerning the power pack of Space Marines. So if an opponent were to disable the pack for any reason would the Space Marine armoured suit shut thus not allowing him to move or anything? I guess then all the enemy would have to do is get a really big rock.
The power pack of the SM is pretty much a nuclear generator/battery. The most likely way it would be disabled would be a breach in it's structural integrity, causing what amounts to a "dirty bomb" (radioactive material released without fusion/fission being achieved) going off. If the power pack was disabled in a way that didn't cause this, possibly a strike to cables attached to armor proper, the marine would still be able to move but would be severely hindered(terminator armor would most likey be a standing sacophagus)

#56 ·
A space marine`s strength is such that he would still be able to move whether his suit was powered or not. The only difference is that he would be forced to lift and carry the full weight of the armour himself, thus it would be a hindrance more than a help. An example of this occurs in The Killing Ground (4th UM series) where Uriel is forced to fight wearing a suit composed of only a few unpowered pieces of armour.

Terminator Armour might be a different story, being much heavier and more cumbersome to begin with. But I am not sure of any examples of this. :)

#58 · (Edited)
If the Old Ones created the eldar, did they also create the eldar gods? or were they just chilling in the warp or web way and decided to jump onboard the eldar train somewhere along the line
Its unclear exactly what the Eldar Gods are/were. But its been speculated that they were Old Ones themselves who survived the enslaver plague, or that they were created by the Old Ones, or that they were created (in some way shape or form, directly or indirectly, and possibly as a result of their faith/beliefs) by the Eldar themselves, possibly as the psychic manifestation of the Eldar's psyche.

..... same questions applies to orks aswell
Gork & Mork are the psychic manifestations of the Orkish races' consciousness or Waaagh!

#59 · (Edited)
The Eldar and Ork gods are a relult of the respective races beliefs and the effects they had in the warp.

One theory I have heard postulated, and even considered at one point, is that the eldar gods are in fact the old ones themselves, but there is too much fluff to contradict this.

The Eldar gods became the focus of the Eldar`s worship and devotion after the Old Ones civilisation collapsed. After the c`tan went into stasis, the eldar claimed the galaxy. At this point, they were the dominant race and their gods so dominated the warp. The chaos gods undoubtedly existed at this time, but three did not have the same level of influence they later would and the fourth lay dormant.

With the fall of the eldar and the birth of Slaanesh, the Eldar gods were destroyed (or whatever) and the chaos gods able to achieve true dominion. At this point, the Great crusade had begun and Mankind inherited the galaxy, bringing the threat of Chaos with it.

The ork gods of course, are simply the epitome of orkish belief. Their influence ultimately is not deemed a serious threat to the four powers. :grin:

EDIT: Ninja`d by CotE. Should have known. :)

EDIT: And Ninja`d Eddy! :p

#60 ·
Not 100% on this but I think the eldar gods were manifested in the warp as a direct result of the eldars psychic potential. Kinda a "if you wish hard enough it might come true." Never really thought about it though it does make sense as slaanesh came into being in a similar fashion i.e. eldar debauchery and Khorne may have arrived due to humanities wars and ravaging behaviour in the middle ages or some such lark.

Gork and mork similarly were the result of so many orks with latent psychic potential killing in their name.

EDIT: Eh..... yeah, what Serpion said.

#61 ·
Cheeeeeeeers for the help!!

i have another question regarding gods; is it possible that a chaos god through playing the great game acquires enough power to physically kill another chaos god, or will they continue to exist as long as the emotions/souls that feed them keep rolling in

#62 ·
Well, it is technically possible. Remember that warp gods have died before, namely the eldar ones.

Currently however, Chaos is too evenly matched with itself for any one god to gain the absolute advantage. They are fickle, and two are likely to ally against another should they perceive one of their fellows to be a threat.

That is the nature of Chaos. They will struggle for and against each other for eternity. :)

#65 ·
Eldar gods died when Slaanesh killed them. :p

so man kind were to fail, they would drag the chaos gods down with them?
To a degree, but that in itself would not destroy them. Other races feed chaos, though humans are the primary power source.

As cited in Legion; Humanity is the ultimate weapon against Chaos, but also the greatest tool for Chaos... :spiteful:

#66 ·
Thanks for all the help serpion +rep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one last question (i feel like ive hijacked the thread)

Are there any planets with advanced economic systems, or atleast a large free market system? or all resources across the entire imperium devoted to the essentials such as food, weapons, labour and constructions supplies.

#67 ·
No probs. :thank_you:

Imperial worlds all contribute in one way or another to the overall wellbeing of the Imperium. There are agri worlds, devoted to farming, Munitorum worlds which see to supplies and resource gathering, Forge worlds run by the mechanicum which lend manufacturing weapons and such to the Imperium and others. Regardless of the planet however, all are required to submit a tithe (a percent of the population as Imperial Guard recruits).

There are more world classes than this of course, but on the whole, The Imperium is divided into sectors and sub sectors, and these sections of the galaxy generally work to support those worlds close or valuable to them in some way. Thus the Imperium survives as a whole.

#68 ·
I have two questions (really many many more, just the two I am thinking of right now): 1-I have figured out, and seen threads explaining, how the characters make the "aquila salute." But there is also a salute that the Mechanicum uses, Ive seen it referenced just forget exactly where. Anyone know how it is done ? and 2-In "Blood Games" a character uses a displacer field to hide his stature while sneaking around the Emperors Palace (Amon I believe). I understand how this piece of equipment could be used to fool the many biometric sensors positioned around the Palace Grounds, but the story also leads me to believe that it is used to hide his size from the sight of the Custodes "naked eye." How exactly is this done ? Or am I just reading this all wrong ? Also, this was a great idea for a thread.

#71 ·
Define mortals.

Chaos followers are mortals, and may well be human, in which case they're not subject to the Emperor.

Eldar are mortals - when they die, they go into the Soul Matrix, where their knowledge goes towards aiding those capable of accessing it.

Obviously, most of the Imperium are mortals (being humans).

Tau are mortals?

However, I'm going to assume here, that you mean of those loyal to the Imperium.

In that case, it's one of three people, the Lord of the Departmento Munitorum, which commands one of the five sectors of Imperial Space, and through the hierarchy in the military chain of command, commands every single front line soldier, one day recruit or military based administration.

For the civilian side of it, which could well be the larger section of the Imperium, (common sense states, anyway), the Lord of the Administratum owns the majority, as he does the exact same as his Munitorum counterpart, but for the civilian parts.

Arguably, the one in overall command of them is the Lord Custodiann, the Emperors representative on the council of the Twelve High Lords, rumoured to be Constantine Valdor - if a case requires the vote, then majority rules - if theres an equal tie, and one of the sides includes the Lord Custodian will have the decider, if he so wishes. Alternatively, he can order a revote.

As to the salute, I have no idea, can't say I've heard of that. There's "making the sign of the aquila", which I assume is equal in size to the crossing of oneself in todays world.

Never read the book, so can't answer the next question.

#73 ·
As i understand it the aquila is the hands flat and crossed palms to the chest with the thumbs hooked together. The fingers represent the wings of the aquila and the thumbs the two heads of the aquila. The meshed cog symbol is the fingers splayed and bent at the first knuckle. Then mesh the bent fingers so that they represent the meshing of gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.