Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Gearing up your commander

2K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Haraldrr 
#1 ·
Just curious how most people gear up their commanders in either a SM or CSM army?
I prefer CC types.

#2 ·
for marines (DA specifically)
company Master
Bolt pistol
Power weapon
Iron Halo

Librarian
Terminator armour
Storm bolter

for Chaos Marines
Lord
Mark of Khorne
Terminator armour
2xLightning Claws
Personel Icon

Sorceror
Mark of Slaanesh
Lash of bondage........sorry submition
Jump Pack
Personel Icon

#5 ·
Space marines

master=152
master power weapon
bolt pistol
atrtificer armour
termie homours
frags
combat shield

chaplain=206
jump pack
adamantine mantle
master arcamun
frags
termie hinours
artificer armour

libraian=217
master force weapon
familiar
artificer armour
termie honours
frags
bolt pistol
combat shield
might of heroes

Chaos i play khorne so:

lord=145
mark of khorne
daemon weapon
melta bombs

lord=140
mark of khorne
power weapon
wings
melta bombs

daeom prince=140
wings
mark of khorne

#6 ·
Chaos: Lash of Submission, Mark of Slaanesh, wings, sometimes melta bombs when I have the points, runs around with my raptors.

SM: Epistolary, Iron Halo, Adamantine Mantle, Bolt Pistol, Fury of the Anceints, and Veil of Time (195 total).
In 1500 or lower games I lose the adamantine mantle. Terminator armor is nice but it seems like my commander rarely gets their armor save anyhow, and a rerolled 3+/4++ is pretty sexy on its own. I also have him rolling around in a rhino with the command squad, so power armor is a necessary. FotA is a great ranged power to use til he gets close (out of the top of the rhino even when it moves 12" and pops smoke :biggrin:) and veil is really nice in CC.

#8 ·
usually frost blade, wolf tooth necklace, frags, bike, bolt pistol, belt of russ, mark of wulfen (if playing 13th co, then i'd nuke the WTN)

chaplin, bike, frags

rune priest, terminator armor, bolter melta, chooser of the slain, frost blade, wolf tooth necklace or mark of wulfen

~dan

#9 ·
When I decide to bring out a Captain here's what he looks like:

Blood Angel Captain
- Bolt pistol
- Power sword
- Jump pack
- Frag and krak grenades

Nothing special, really. He's nice and cheap, boosting the Ld score of my units while providing some ever-handy high Initiative power weapon attacks. I give him a jump pack because I learned a long time ago that it's better to have the ability to move 12" and not need it than need it and not have it.

When I play Chaos, I'll take a Chaos Lord like this:

Chaos Lord
- Pair of lightning claws
- Wings
- Mark of Khorne

Nice and choppy, that's how I like Chaos Lords. With a really high Weapon Skill this guy is capable of taking on the basic Troops of almost any army and will hit most other ICs on a 3+ as well should things come down to a character duel.

Good luck,

Katie D

#11 ·
I have a few commanders, one is termie armor, Twin Lightning Claws (Master Crafter), Termie Honors, and some other stuff (sheets are at home)

Another is Artificer Armor, Combi Melta, MC Power Weapon, Iron Halo,

And my chaplain is Art Armor, MC TLC, Jump Pack,

This isn't everything because all my sheets are at home.

#13 ·
i use:
daemon prince (200 points)
mark of tzeentch
wings
warptime
bolt of change

i'd like to try a chaos lord with the shooty aproach, which isn't really possible for most commanders due to lack of useful shooting weapons. he would kind of look like this:

chaos lord (160 points)
mark of tzeentch
terminator armour
daemon weapon

so this guy is quite capable of shooting around 2 meqs per round and still has some cc punch should the enemy reach your lines. he might get a glutton for punishment by hurting himself by throwing ones in shooting and close combat but he still got his 4+ inv save so that won't be that much of a problem i think. i plan to use this as secondary hq to support the gun line and fend of assaulters, while the daemon prince wreacks havoc at the front line

#14 ·
I think I'm going to tool up my characters initially. For now it will be becuase we will likely only fight small skirmish battles of like 500 points since we have limited time and space.

For Chaos I see 2 possibilities:
Chaos Lord
Mark of Nurgle
Plague Sword
Plasma Pistol
Daemonic Strength
Daemonic Visage
Nurgle's Rot
Blight Grenades
Hmmm....I know there was more but I forget what else off the top of my head.

For my marine Master I plan on using Jump Pack, Term Honors, L Claw x2, and Iron Halo IIRC, plus frag and krak.

Mostly HtH guys.

Now Im looking at what if I go with a non Nurgle Chaos Lord. Khorne has some possibilites and I definitely want to get a hold of a Chaos Term lord.
I only wish I had my converted model for my nurgle lord with me.

#15 ·
Daemon Prince
Wings
Icon of Tzeentch
Wind of Chaos
Warptime

Slaanesh Sorcerer
Steed
Lash of Submission
Personal Icon

Tau Shas'el
Plasma Rifle
Twinlinked Missile Pod
HW Multitracker

As you can see, I tend to keep my characters on the cheap side with just enough to make them effective.

#16 ·
>> For Space Wolves: Lord: Master crafted Frostblade, bolt pistol, wolftooth necklace, belt of Russ, frag, krak.

>> Chaos: Lord: Termie armour, Mos, deamon weapon, combi-melta.

#18 ·
As with all units, it's best to keep commanders as slim as possible while still enabling them to do what they're supposed to. I don't usually run terminator honors on my libby even though I use him for countercharging simply because I can spend the points elsewhere more effectively (in this case, it puts a lascannon in my tac squad).

On the other hand, an attack squig costs the same number of points and does the same thing but my warboss always has one because he's driving towards melee every round on his warbike and rather than an extra (rerollable) strength 4 power attack for my libby, it gives him an extra strength 10 power attack. With 7 attacks on the charge a warboss on a bike can even down monoliths and other skimmers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.