Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - Greenstuff: Mold Making
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-08, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Damned Fist

Damned Fist's Flag is: Canada

Default Greenstuff: Mold Making

I ordered some icons a while back from Forgeworld and although I really liked the bits that I received I was disappointed that there was so few of them in the lot. I figured that we all have 'Bits' that we are really fond of and can never have enough of them around so I decided to submit this simple tutorial to help recreate your favourite pieces.

For this exercise you will need:
Water, Green Stuff (or similar epoxy clay), the "bit" that you wish to reproduce, Premo polymer clay (or similar baking clay) - This is clay that hardens only when baked at a low temperature. It can be found at most craft stores and is relatively cheap.

Step 1 Kneed a small amount of the polymer clay until soft and pliable and press it onto a hard surface to create your mold base. Try to keep the top flat and level. *Note: If you do not have access to polymer clay (Baking clay) you may use Green Stuff instead. However, I find that the polymer clay is much more forgiving and easier to work with as it doesn't stick to your bit like Green Stuff tends to.

Step 2 "Press" your bit into the clay evenly until it is level with the top of the clay base. Next, carefully remove the bit from the mold and the bake it according to the instructions on the package. If you used Green Stuff then you will have to let the mold cure over night.

Step 3 Now that your mold has hardened take the desired amount of Green Stuff and work it into the mold (remember to always keep your Green Stuff and your surfaces wet to avoid having you clay stick to everything) Once this is complete you may carefully remove the mixture from the mold by using the excess material on the edges. Try not to stretch the clay as it will distort and ruin the piece.

Step 4 Lastly, remove the excess material from around the new 'bit' and allow it the harden. Alternatively, sometimes the new part may be more useful in it's soft form and therefore you can benefit by using it right away such as in the following example where the Fist icon was used in it's soft form to curve around the banner. Had I use a hard resin piece I would not have been able to achieve this effect.

Good luck! and happy sculpting.

Last edited by Cypher871; 06-26-11 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Grammar, spelling and layout.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome