Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - Let's Get Stompy! 1850 concept
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-23-09, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Culler

Culler's Flag is: USA

Default Let's Get Stompy! 1850 concept

When I was writing my how to build an ork army tactica I got to thinking about how to take best advantage of a KFF and when you might actually want to use a deff dread. Those two ideas and my love for killa kans are what brought this list about. I personally love walkers, they're probably my favorite unit type in 40k and you'll not find a better walker than the killa kan. The humble kan is actually able to unleash fairly monstrous anti-infantry firepower at close range and slay most units in close combat and is surprisingly durable, especially when you give it 4+ cover from a big mek's KFF. I'm not positive but I'm fairly sure that Orks can actually field more walkers than any other army (11).
This army concept turned out better than I thought it would, so I thought I'd share it.

Ork 1,850 point army list – Stompy Doom!
1,850 total – 121 Orks, 10 Walkers

HQ: 220
Big Mek: kustom force field + ‘eavy armour + burna
Total: 110
Big Mek: kustom force field + ‘eavy armour + burna
Total: 110

Elites: 435
Lootas: 15
mob total(15): 225
Lootas: 14
mob total(14): 210

Troops: 790
Boyz(sluggas): 30 Boyz with sluggas/choppas + nob with power klaw , ‘eavy armour, and bosspole
mob total(30): 225
Boyz(shootas): 30 Boyz with shootas + big shoota x3 + nob with power klaw, and bosspole
mob total(30): 235
Boyz(shootas): 30 Boyz with shootas + big shoota x3 + nob with power klaw, and bosspole
mob total(30): 235
Deff Dread: extra dreadnought close combat weapon + skorcha
vehicle total: 95
(taken as troops choice from big mek)

Fast Attack: 0

Heavy Support: 405
Killa Kans: 3 with grotzookas
squadron total(3): 135

Mostly I like the formations this army lends itself to. Basically with careful positioning of the Meks everything in my army can have a cover save (4+ for the most part). I can have the walkers out in front of the mobs that the meks are joined to, spaced out somewhat providing 4+ cover for the boyz instead of the usual 5+ from the forcefield, and the walkers would be close enough to the meks to get the 4+ cover for themselves. In the field the army would look like 3 mobs with 3 kans in front of each mob and the Meks joined to the two mobs at the sides with the lootas sitting back and the deff dread near a mek wherever a little extra punch is needed. 3 kans shouldn't have trouble putting their unit coherency through whatever unit that's trying to shoot the Ork's Los (2.5" wide bases, 4" max coherency for a vehicle squadron, so they can form a line 19.5" long).
What makes this great is the cover save issue but also the protection form assault. Berserkers charging the boyz mobs becomes less of a problem when there's a line of kans with 2 strength 10 power attacks each in the way. Even if the kans get charged and killed the boyz mob behind it can furious charge whatever did the deed. If for some reason the kans are dying like flies the meks will still give 5+ cover to the mobs.
The lootas are basically there for fire support, to take out mobile skimmers, transports, jetbikes, and vulnerable infantry units.

I think this list would be a blast to play, but I'm 6 kans and a dread short. Will have to rectify that. Anyway, submitted for your perusal.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome