Space Marine Bikes - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-11, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Space Marine Bikes

Now I've created my own chapter but It seems that assault troops are just not good, so I was wondering about bikes but I've never used them before since I always thought they where pretty useless so I was wondering if someone could point me towards the positives of their use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-11, 10:42 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

They move fast and often have a 3+ cover save... so are fairly easy to keep away from enemies that'll destroy them in combat, and will often be able to shrug off a lot of firepower.

They're T4(5), meaning that once they get into combat they're going to take much less wounds then standard marines... a sgt with a powerfist bashing a few enemies to bits should give you the win.

They can take lots of special weapons. EG- combi melta, 2 meltaguns and a multimelta... that's quite an anti-tank unit.
They can basically be tooled up to fit any role you want to do: moving 12" and then laying 3 flame templates and dakka'ing with TL boltguns will massacre hoardes, while melta spam can cut through units of tanks, not just one. I wouldn't advise using plasma, since it'll be just as easy for you to die as for a normal marine, but it is still a fun option (I like plasma... I know its not great anymore but just don't care).

They can easily be made troops... so you have a nails unit that can crush the enemy, then win the game. A captain on bike is pretty hard, especially if you then also use a command squad with a few power weapons and an apothecary... very scary.

The downsides of them are that they can get a little pricey (though not too bad) and they can't hide in metal boxes. This last point is important since it means anti-MEQ weapons are much nastier against you. Things like battlecannons or plasma will erase them very rapidly, especially if you didn't turbo-boost that turn (such as first turn of the game).

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-11, 12:32 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

If you're thinking of using Bikes in place of Assault Marines as an assault unit, don't. Bikes aren't at all intended for close combat - they're much more adept at zooming around, harassing with bolters and plasma or moving in close to hammer units with bolters and flamers or blowing tanks to bits with melta weaponry. If you're going to run Bikes, I'd suggest using them as Troops and attaching Attack Bikes to the unit as Attack Bikes offer cheap and potent fire support.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-11, 02:18 AM

DocB's Flag is: USA

I love using bike. They are expensive points-wise, but they are still fun. I'm still getting the hang of them!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-11, 02:46 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

bikes are great but are more tricky to learn how to use effectively, and as katie mentioned there are a LOT of ways to make that happen.

if you are planning on doing a bike army i suggest getting lots of "Ravenwing" battleforces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode