Versus Eldar Harlequins - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-08, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Default Versus Eldar Harlequins

They're flamboyant and deadly...capering about the battlefield in brightly colored outfits...yet almost impossible to freaking see, Eldar Harlequins can be a deatly and frustrating unit to have to face.

Especially in a "Flying circus" list with 3 troupes of 6, each loaded into a fully loaded falcon grav tank.

Their veil of tear smakes them almost impossible to shoot at from a range, but their monstrous assault capabilities make them very deadly up close.

So how do you nail the space clowns?

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-08, 02:52 AM

Engelus's Flag is: USA

I don't, I lose every time. the best I can do is a flamer and full shooting from a crusader squad followed by assault, but it usually results in suicide. and they always hit and run after I assault so they may charge me the next turn.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-08, 10:47 AM

solitaire's Flag is: England

While I hate to betray my beloved Jesters, I have found they die really quickly against Landspeeders with ass cans and heavy bolters, as they can get close real quick to cancel out Veil of Tears.
....Go Harlequins

"Playing Warhammer is just like making love. It's usually done on a table and afterwards you always feel great shame. Plus like most fun things the older you get the less fun it becomes. So remember, always wear a condom while playing Warhammer - I've got mine on now."

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-08, 03:02 PM

What do they have to fight off Dreadnoughts? Haywire Grenades?
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-08, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

They can be equipped with fusion pistols (pistol meltagun) but usually a boatload of rending attacks, even at S3 or 4 is enough to scrap a dreadnought. A successful rend at S3 is like getting hit with a lascannon.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-08, 04:07 PM

Lemartes's Flag is: Germany

Drop Pods work really well versus Space Clowns, apparently they work good vs. Eldar in general as they counter the mobility of the Eldar.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-08, 04:26 PM

Steel Nathan's Flag is: Canada

Well I guess one way to kill them is to NOT get charged by them. If your unit has a good number of attacks then you should be able to kill them, they have a crappy armour save! I'll go through the armies and pick out units that can kill them.

Space Marines: Well generally alot of things can kill them. Far range weapons are probobly the worst. Stuff like flamers, series of boltguns. Somebody said Landspeeders, Assaults charging in can kill most. Furious charge would be good to charge in, seeing that your guys would attack first.

IG: heh, all you need a a crapload of lasguns and your good to go. Again, flamers and other assault/ rapid fire should do the job.

Nids: guants can do decent damage with their cheap guns, and huge numbers. Again long range ( carnies, Hive Tryants) won't do the job, especially with Viel of tears. Charge in with genestealers( and possibly with a broodlord) adn wipe them out.

Tau: again, rapid fire range from fire warriors should do the trick. Not sure what else for Tau.

Dark Eldar: Again I'm not too familiar with these guys. Pssibly just close-mass firing from whatever can kill them.

Eldar: Dire Avengers, Banshee's on the charge( your own Harlies on the charge ) should do the trick.

Necrons: Pretty much just warriors mass firing. Maybe Pariahs can charge and make them hit on 6's if the rolling is bad for Harlies?

Pretty much anything else falls into those catagorys. In sumary there are 3 rules you can follow to avoid getting killed by these space clown

1. Close range/ mass firing is a good idea. You don't want to fire too far, especially if your opponent has Veil of tears with them.

2. NEVER NEVER NEVER let them charge on you. With that many attacks on the poor suckers, good luck surviving.

3. If all else fails, CHARGE! Better you then them .
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-08, 04:36 PM

Best way for me has been using Daemon and WitchHunter gear that ignores invulnerable saves (read as psycannons, psycannon bolts, incinerators, etc)
I don't think anyone can emphasize enough to not get charged by them.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-08, 04:43 PM

First, Tactics spoken and tactics applied are 2 different things, perhaps my tactics won't work for you, perhaps they will, but they work for me. The following tactics are for space marines/necrons or any army that can carry out the basic principle.

Ok, so he has 2-3 falcons filled with space clowns, that means that he by necessity will have fewer units of other things. What i'd do? I'd get my men closer together, have larger squads in positions to receive the charge, and have assault marines ready to counter charge. Shoot at the falcons, not to take them down, but just to shake them, once shaken, i'd shoot at something else, my primary goal would be to punish his choice of expensive units by taking everything else e.g. See a vyper? you blast it, see a pathfinder? get it below half, do whatever you can to get as many points as possible. This serves the dual purpose of scoring points and making sure that he doesn't have enough scoring units to contest objectives.

As for harlies, let them charge. Try and position your men in such a way that the whole squad will be able to participate in the attack. If they kill the squad, good, move forward, rapid fire with one squad and have another ready to charge. If you have survivors take your LD. If you pass, pile in, if not, up to you whether or not to let him chase you. If he does, he'll probably catch you, then you can counter charge with at least 2 units. If not, good, you can shoot him up next turn. He can only have 6 harlies in that falcon. Take one squad at a time if you can. It gets complicated when there are multiple harlie squads, but the principle remains the same: Overwhelm, take advantage of the fact that they can't wound you effectively after their charge.

Hard to pull off, but it's doable.

Thank you Wolf, for this excellent sig!
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-08, 07:34 PM

Culler's Flag is: USA

Really, I got nothing. There is no highly effective tactic to counter falcon riding harlies. There are some things that kinda work, but no silver bullet because you can't kill the transports reliably which means that they almost always get their charge. So how do you stop the harlies from charging? You pretty much can't unless you get lucky on some rolls to take down the falcon in 1 round.

So given that the charge really can't be stopped reliably, how do you deal with them afterwards? There are more options here. Having large squads like ork mobs means that after pile in you can make the harlies cry on your turn if you started spaced out so that their charge only killed a hanful. Alternatively, having really small squads that are spaced out from one another means that the squad that gets charged will be wiped out, leaving the harlies free for shooting at on your turn and well within veil range. highly mobile counterassault units are another good way to jump them after they disembark, but the harlies are still deadly and will take a high toll. My favorite anti-harlie tactic is hitting them with highly mobile units that have really good short ranged firepower. Once again though, getting them out of the transport is the hardest part, and that's only an 8.3% chance per glancing hit (unless you rack up 3 weapon destroyed results).

The fact that it's so hard to stop the flying circus from doing what it's meant to do and is so easy to use makes it one of the current eldar staples of tournament play. Fromage I say.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode