Versus Space Marine Drop Pods - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-11-08, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Default Versus Space Marine Drop Pods

Well, we're into our second month of versus and I think we have a good one this week.

Drop Pods.
Everyone hates them. Some cheesemonger takes an army full of the bloody deepstriking trashcans from hell. Cheaper than a rhino, way more effective, able to block LOS and fire lanes, able to drop meltaguns into your tanks, or CC units into your core....just plain evil.

So what do you do about it?

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Last edited by Galahad; 04-21-08 at 04:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-11-08, 03:11 PM

Revelations's Flag is: USA

I think they're cheesier than shit to be honest. Cheap transports that ignore basic rules of the game. "Hey! Want to Deepstrike a squad and a vehicle into enemy territory with no risk whatsoever? Have a Drop Pod!"

The only good tactic I have used against them get's destroyed with yet another fairly cheesy ability. I used to group up squads within 12" of each other, so when they drop, I can fire/assault them right when they come down. The problem I encountered was the brutal 'Fear of the Darkness' psychic power they had.

It sucked. I was holding a biulding with some Havoc and some CSM. Marine Drop Pod lands right outside, Librarian pops out, casts Fear and my Havocs start to run. Because he was always within range, my Havocs never regrouped for the rest of the game. The only bone I had was that they could never roll their fallback far enough to come down a level, which would have sucked since he also blocked my fallback. It's when rules like these screw you, you got to think; "What the bloddy f**k?" (And bless him he wasn't trying to powergame, just worked out that way this time)

I also find assault the Pods directly gives you a nice boost to your movement, allowing to move in on the squad a little faster.

What really sucks, is Chaos Drop Pods cost more points and have no weapons. It's bullshit I tell you!

Pondering...
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-11-08, 03:27 PM
Banned

but thats what drop pods were designed for, a massacre. i like the idea of firing a metal container of troops right onto the enemy. i think you should actually be able to drop them onto a unit and wound them. don't know what the rules for that would be, but it would be nice. ( a drop pod full of remote detonated h.e. would be cool)

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-11-08, 07:38 PM

Culler's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbane40k View Post
( a drop pod full of remote detonated h.e. would be cool)
They call that a bomb

Personally, I do think that drop pods are way too good for their points. The only advantage the defender has against them is that the troops inside have to disembark and basically sit for a turn before they can start moving and assaulting. So, deploy your army in such a way as to get it so your fast troops can quickly get to wherever your opponent puts his pods and your shooting troops have good fire lanes. This often means that your army will be more compact to prevent them from deploying behind you, and that fear power will rock your world if your Ld is low, as always. You have to deal with them as they come in, which is not an easy prospect. Flamer-wielding drop pod troops/dreads are a real pain since they don't have to worry about deep strike mishaps.

If you're playing a mobile army with some decent firepower, you're in decent shape. If you're playing a static army without assault units, you may be in for a world of hurt.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-11-08, 09:27 PM

Morgal's Flag is: Canada

Counter charge units and shooty units in 24"

they drop, you shoot, they assault you counter.

usually charge a scarafical unit or make it so they can't charge what they want before going through something like a auto cannon squad with 10 bodies, move the rest out of consolidation range.

next turn shoot em some more.

they will at most kill 85 or so points a turn... so kill more of them than that a turn.

Yeah, well the Space Marines never dropped forty thousand feet in a drop pod WITHOUT power armor.
-Lt.Hperon of the Olympian 125th "Hell Troopers"[KIA]
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-11-08, 11:20 PM

Mad King George's Flag is: Ukraine

when the plastic drop pods come out im buying them for all my squads and buying more troops to fill the gap

Space Wolves
W-L-D
4-1-0
Biel Tan
W-L-D
0-0-0
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-12-08, 02:27 AM

Steel Rain's Flag is: USA

rough riders

Quote:
*sigh* I have to point out that despite what you see in games, lasrifles win wars. Just because lasrifles suck at killing superhuman killing machines in power armor does not mean that they are bad weapons. You are shooting them at the wrong targets. The most common enemy the Imperium faces is lightly armored humans armed with lasguns or autoguns, NOT SPACE MARINES.
-me
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-12-08, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Care to elaborate, Rain? ;-)

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-12-08, 04:02 AM

Steel Rain's Flag is: USA

from an IG perspective (where all of my perspective comes from) rough riders are a good counter assault unit to tie up any big baddies that may drop pod in front of my little meatbags. We have no problem shooting the hell out of anything within 12", since we'll get about 16-20 flashlight shots per squad, plus a heavy weapon, plus a special weapon. The problem is tying up those close combat units that are a little to close for comfort. That's where rough riders come in. With a potential 12" movement and a 12" charge, Rough Rider squadrons have the numbers, speed, and punch to tie up any offending close combat unit. Another viable option is a sentinel squadron if your army has Hardened Fighters. Sentinels with hardened fighters get 3 attacks on the charge, at WS4 and s5. They have an armor value, so the defender's unit is going to have to roll sixes unless they have krak/melta.

That, or you could just shoot railguns at them.

Quote:
*sigh* I have to point out that despite what you see in games, lasrifles win wars. Just because lasrifles suck at killing superhuman killing machines in power armor does not mean that they are bad weapons. You are shooting them at the wrong targets. The most common enemy the Imperium faces is lightly armored humans armed with lasguns or autoguns, NOT SPACE MARINES.
-me
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-12-08, 04:09 AM

Mad King George's Flag is: Ukraine

wow that sounds pretty nasty, also will there be new rules for drop podding ? or will it still do you still have to roll for them ?

could they come down in waves or are they going to be in drips and drabs

Space Wolves
W-L-D
4-1-0
Biel Tan
W-L-D
0-0-0

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode