Footy Grey Knights - 2+ cover saves all around! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-11, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Curiouser and Curiouser

Default Footy Grey Knights - 2+ cover saves all around!

So as far as I remember, the new techmarines from the GK dex are independent characters and can be thrown in with infantry to protect them and this gave me a new idea.

What do you all think of a foot army (no/minimal transports) with rifleman dreads being given a 4+ cover behind cover. Then use the techmarine's ability to improve the save to 3+. THEN, keep a librarian nearby to cast shrouding and further improve the save to a 2+!

I don't think I have forgotten anything in the rules that would make this unable to work but let me know otherwise.

I can see a list going something like this...

Librarian w/ shrouding
2nd HQ could be wither a GM for scoring/scouting, Crowe if you like your purifiers, or a second librarian.

Techmarine
2x Ven Rifleman dreads

Troops could be termies for counter assault, larger strike squads, or purifiers

FA could be interceptors for end game objective grabbing

Heavy is 3x rifleman dreads

It's definitely something I would love to try! What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-11, 12:11 AM

Sephyr's Flag is: Brazil

I think the techmarine can only reinforce a ruin in your own deployent zone. So the protected unit would have to remain stationed there.

I don't yet know how exactly the Shrouding works.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-11, 12:33 AM

shrouding gives stealth to all units inside something like 6" can't remember.

I've been toying with this idea of giving 2+ cover saves but with bolster only working on a ruin in your own deployment zone and psycannons being 24" it makes you a very static midrange force (minus the AC's from the dreads).

i'm not dismissing the idea i want to test it out myself as it [sounds] really good on paper, but we all know that doesn't really workout on the tabletop

Last edited by OpTi; 03-19-11 at 12:42 AM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-11, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Curiouser and Curiouser

If you want to add to your long range capability you could add orbital strike relays to your techmarines and give them servo skulls to reduce scatter. It's an idea I definitely want to try out soon. If you have a GM giving scoring to a unit or two of interceptors you could even do the 30'' shunt turn 4 or 5 for late game objective grabbing or contesting while your main force sits in two ruins (if bringing two techmarines).
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-11, 05:26 PM

Critta's Flag is: United Kingdom

I suppose it would be more useful if you ended up deploying in corners rather than edges, as your 24" range would then likely reach the enemy army.

On long edge deployments, yeah, it's more limited!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-11, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critta View Post
I suppose it would be more useful if you ended up deploying in corners rather than edges, as your 24" range would then likely reach the enemy army.

On long edge deployments, yeah, it's more limited!
depends if you get to deploy first on dawn of war, least you can deploy up to 24" on but could leave you open for the first 2ish turns
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-11, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Curiouser and Curiouser

I figure the 2++ save to most of my entire army would entice my enemy to come hit me all the while being hit by orbital strikes and str 8 shots.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-11, 02:43 AM

You going to stick 5 dreads into a ruin with their main weapon only 24 inch range. I would laugh myself silly if I ever saw that. I could ignore orbital strikes most game with my orks too, they are designed to take mass casualties anyway. Just dominate most of the board outside that 24 inch range and then finish off the cluster you have at the end. Or ignore it if kill point, or objectives.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-11, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Curiouser and Curiouser

What do you mean main weapon only 24''? The way you've written your statement it sounds as if the dreads are toting 24'' autocannons/ psycannons. No the autocannons are all about taking out armor, as are the orbital strike relays depending on the enemy. The 2++/3++ cover are meant to draw my enemy to me while I set up for a counter assault with a line of termies, at least that's the way my current list is shaping up to be. Plus, Ordnance D3, str6/AP4 large blast templates per strike relay will definitely be taking out huge chunks of orks every turn. Especially if there is minimal scatter because of servo skulls.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-11, 10:41 PM

You have yet to explain though why I would be drawn to such a densely packed force with terminators backing them up, instead of riding out the barrages, and occupying all the board you left blank. Killing everything else outside of the ruin, and then turn my attention to it. I am not going to leave my sense at home, and attack the thing you want me to attack, not until I decide it time.

Sure your barrage will kill chunks of orks, but everything kills orks. They die in large numbers, even in a sweeping victory. They can stand up to IG leaf blower lists, so one barrage not going to unnerve them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode