"Deathstar" Units in 1500pt? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-11, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Melikor40k's Flag is: Australia

"Deathstar" Units in 1500pt?

is it viable to take "Deathstar" units in 1500 point games or should they be saved for higher point games? ive been looking at squeezing one in my 1500 point army but its hard to justify putting 1/3+ of my points into a single squad, sure they pack a punch but is it entirely viable? (was thinking of the standard ss / th terms in LR or lysander + 10 sterns/tacs in pod)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-11, 10:21 AM

It depends on the army. Nids do it well at low levels but not at high levels. The "fexstar" (1 fex, 1 prime, regeneration on both, you get cover saves because half of the squad is infantry) is solid at 1500, but as points get higher your opponent's firepower magnifies and they can kill it quickly enough for regen to not matter. Other armies need to wait.

Units like TH/SS termis in raiders, bike squads in pure bikes, etc. really need to be taken in pairs. At lower levels you can't do that and support them, so it's out.

I'd avoid Lysander in general (even if you're playing Fists, just make an army that fights like Fists would), but overal building an unbalanced "top this or die" unit is bad news. You'll stomp some armies with no satisfaction for either of you while other armies just crush your rock or tie it up and go after everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
I'm probably going to follow my usual Eldar tactic of driving around the table "circling and screaming 'I don't give a fuck' with my windows down and system up" and avoiding anything that looks scary.
Her(?) name may be slightly inapropriate, but she just needs love! And I just need to eat your face!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-11, 07:26 PM

StalkerZero's Flag is: USA

It's basically like was said. Some armies that deathstar unit will win the game. But against the majority of armies it will either die too quickly or have too little to target before the game is over to make them worth their points.

I do run one at 1500 (at least the closest thing Necrons get to a deathstar - a Nightbringer) but a lot of times I wish he was five more destroyers and a Lord instead.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-11, 08:57 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

I have run them as a nid player... tyrant, two tyrant guard, or similar... a big issue with a point sink of that magnitude is the ability of your opponent to ignore it. If it isn't distracting and/or killing at least its points value or higher, you are better off with something else.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-11, 09:27 PM

fishywinkles's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyklown View Post
It depends on the army. Nids do it well at low levels but not at high levels. The "fexstar" (1 fex, 1 prime, regeneration on both, you get cover saves because half of the squad is infantry) is solid at 1500, but as points get higher your opponent's firepower magnifies and they can kill it quickly enough for regen to not matter. Other armies need to wait.
Isn't this illegal? I'm pretty sure independant characters can't join units consisting of a single model.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-11, 09:42 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishywinkles View Post
Isn't this illegal? I'm pretty sure independant characters can't join units consisting of a single model.
it is if the unit is list as 0-1 like the doom, but you can have up the three carnifexs in a unit in the new codex.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-11, 10:11 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think deathstars work differently in the different missions- in KP missions they're pretty good, they're ok in capture & control but roll seize ground and you'll be in trouble.

Personally I dont think I would ever have 1 unit being more then 1/4 of the army... otherwise its too easy for the opponent to just avoid it.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-11, 12:31 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I think the ultimate problem with a deathstar build is how flukey it can be.

Sure some of the time you destroy Alderaan, but others some punk kid from a backwater world blows you up with a single missle.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-11, 12:39 AM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

Nob Bikers are viable because of the following...

- Devastating in both shooting and CC
- Very resilient with multiple saves (Armour, Invulnerable, Cover, and FNP)
- High Toughness, multiple wounds, and dodgy wound allocation
- VERY mobile

And most importantly of all, throw a Warboss in the unit and have them all count as Troops.

In lower points deathstars struggle because most of them are not a Troop choice, and you usually have to cut back on Troops to afford them (bad move).
Nob Bikers on the other hand, you get to have your cake and eat it too!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode