Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Command Squads

705 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Cyklown 
#1 ·
Im thinking about possibly running command squad in an upcoming tournament and I want to know 2 things. First, are they worth taking for their points? And secondly, how is the best way to run them and the captain?

I have only ever run a command squad with an apothacary and 4 plasma guns in a razerback. It has always served me well, but is a command squad more geared to cc better?

And for my army I generally run a gunline, so I already have a lot of shooty stuff in the line of razerbacks, preds, rifleman dreads, and speeders.

Thanks

#2 ·
I have deployed a close-quarters oriented command squad to great effect. I essentially used the most basic version, investing points in my captain and a company champion. FNP with the apothecary allows them to slug it out in CC even with the basic weapons, and the captain and champion should do enough power attacks each to even the odds. Just don't rush them into combat with 'zerkers or large swarms. Even the best of CC infantry fall prey to the numbers game.

I suggest mounting them in a razor, or if you have the points, a land raider. The assault ramp is incredibly useful, and frankly the land raider is the most effective SM tank choice.

#3 ·
Mounting them in a Land Rider crusader make them into an excellent CC unit. As Warsmith said, the Captain and the Champion should be enough to deal enough damage, and the rest are there just for the added effect. The Crusader is great to thin down the enemy numbers, letting you take on larger, or more elite, squads, that would other vise have swamped you.

#5 ·
Why power weapons? With storm shields, you don't get the bonus attack the power weapon + bolt pistol provides. Lightning claws also cost the same. I also think the company champion is pretty worthless, to be honest. He doesn't bring that much to the table for his points, in my opinion.

You could also look into placing them on bikes, instead of giving them a transport. You could use them as your far outreaching unit to mop up squads that have been removed from their transports.

#6 ·
Giving everyone stormshields is a bit of a waste. 3 should do it. You don't want to sink all of your points into the one squad. You need two bike command squads for a pure biker army to work properly, after all.

With the extra attack of power weapons you're looking at differing superiority based on what toughness you're hitting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.