IG Hydra Flak Tank count? 2 or 3? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-11, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Default IG Hydra Flak Tank count? 2 or 3?

As the title says I am looking for a good anti- AV11/12. I face a lot of mech in Rhinos, Razorbacks, Chimeras and those Eldar annoying AV12 skimmers. Looking through our Dex Hydras are probably THE transport killers and I am ordering some tonight from FW

So the question is how many should I run? 1, 2 or 3 in a squad? Why? I'm thinking 2 since 8 shots should be able to down a transport a turn but 3 would be a lot more reliable at killing transports especially the AV12 ones.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-11, 05:45 PM

cool_conoly's Flag is: Australia

Thoughts: Dont Get Them.
Reason: For the same amount of points you can field 3 AC heavy weapon teams, that put out more shots, will generaly survive longer, and most IMPORTANTLY they do not take up a HS slot which is much much better used on a Leman Russ or Artillery Battery

Hesesy Begets Power
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-11, 06:04 PM
Imperial Major

Daniel Harper's Flag is: Great Britain

Ermmm I've never used Hydras as they aren't in plastic but..
The idea is cool, they look cool and I've always heard good things.
I mean yes a HWS of autocannons can put out more shots but hydras also get heavy bolters and if played correctly could be nasty to your opponent.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-11, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Harper View Post
Ermmm I've never used Hydras as they aren't in plastic but..
The idea is cool, they look cool and I've always heard good things.
I mean yes a HWS of autocannons can put out more shots but hydras also get heavy bolters and if played correctly could be nasty to your opponent.
Pretty much this. I want to stay all Mech to nullify my opponents anti-infantry fire. Plus I have heard so much good about hydras. 72" range is so much win for me.

What is the optimum amount of Hydras to take per squad?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-11, 06:57 PM
ItsPug's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'd say 2, after that you get diminishing returns, 2 hydras should get you (on average) about 2 penetrating hits and 2 glancing hits against a rhino, plus 2 in a squadron means its easier to get coversaves as only one has to get cover (50% or more) for both to...

Overall Tournament Game Results W:78 D:22 L:32
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-11, 07:08 PM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPug View Post
I'd say 2, after that you get diminishing returns, 2 hydras should get you (on average) about 2 penetrating hits and 2 glancing hits against a rhino, plus 2 in a squadron means its easier to get coversaves as only one has to get cover (50% or more) for both to...
This!

I have 4 Hydras and run 2 of 2 sometimes..worlks well. Dn't forget tha they also make good anti-infantry killers once you run out of AV targets.

AC HWT's may in fact be just as good (well better in some respects), but they fit Infantry-heavy lists, whereas Hydras are for Mech lists...simple choice really.

Isn't there a rumour that we get a plastic Hydra kit later this year sometime?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-11, 07:10 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_conoly View Post
For the same amount of points you can field 3 AC heavy weapon teams, that put out more shots
Put out 2 more shots, and sacrifice twin linked. And the ignoring cover-from-turboing rule.

Quote:
will generaly survive longer
How? They can be hurt by weaponry with S6 or less. They get instant killed by S6 or more. 3 Autocannon hits on a heavy weapon team will probably kill it. 3 Autocannon hits averages a single glance or penetrating hit on a Hydra, which may or may not even cause permanent damage.

Quote:
and most IMPORTANTLY they do not take up a HS slot which is much much better used on a Leman Russ or Artillery Battery
If you don't use the big-points-sink-can-of-fail known as the Leman Russ then you easily have a spare HS slot for a pair of Hydra. Leaves room for a pair of Manticores and whatever other artillery you feel like using.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-11, 07:25 PM

Actually, there's no difference between the Flak tank and AC HWS as far as inflicting damage is concerned.

The Hydra gets 4 TL shots at BS 3, averaging 3 hits per tank. The HWS gets 6 shots at 3 BS, averaging 3 hits per squad. So, given that you want to stay mech and deny enemy their small arms fire, go with the tanks.

And as far as the number is concerned, I'd take 3. As I've mentioned, you're going to get 3 hits per tank. Against AV 11, you have a 1/3 chance to pen, so you'll average 1 pen per tank. Considering each pen only has a 1/3 chance to destroy the vehicle, I'd take 3 tanks, giving you 3 pens, and (hopefully) ensuring 1 destroyed result per turn.

Against AV 12, this is halved, so you'll only get 1 destroyed result every 2 turns.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-11, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Looking at my regular list I run (all-comers) I actually lack in range anti-transport weaponry. My list usually consists of:

1 CCS in Chimeras w/ Plasmaguns
3-4 Vets in Chimeras 1 with Plasmaguns and rest with Meltas
2 Vendettas
0-2 Manticores
0-2 Leman Russ Battle Tanks
0-1 LR Executioner

As you can see I do have a lot of long range firepower that I guess CAN be used at anti-transport AV11/12 but I would say almost all of my weapons are better used against something else. My Meltas are 12" and 6" effectively. My Blasts are all better used against MEQ or Terminators or Hordes. Only my Vendettas are long range anti-low AV transport poppers but even then those shots are better used against Terminators or AV13/14....

So I really have no weapons "designated" to actually target AV11/12 effectively.

Maybe I should get 3 Hydras then?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-11, 01:34 AM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

Yea I sure like them, but only in 2's usually for reasons already given.

That is a very nice list...by 0-2 Manticores I assume you mean you field 2 seperately, because they can't be squadroned.

Don't forget that a CHimera's Multi-laser is useful against transports (AV10 sides)...just saying

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode