Versus Eldar Skimmers - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-08, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Default Versus Eldar Skimmers

They're fast, heavily armed and neigh impossible to shoot down. Whether it's Falcons with their holofields, or Wave Serpents with their force fields, or those menacing fire prisms, eldar skimmers are something that elicit groans whenever they hit the table...and lobbing railgun slugs just ain't going to cut it this time.

So how do you deal with the Jetsons tank of doom?

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Last edited by Galahad; 04-21-08 at 04:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-08, 05:05 PM

solitaire's Flag is: England

People usually beat my Fire Prism by shaking it every turn so I often end up tank shocking and exposing my rear armour of 10, even bolters will break through that, and yet I never learn . Or you could just hope for a lucky shot .

"Playing Warhammer is just like making love. It's usually done on a table and afterwards you always feel great shame. Plus like most fun things the older you get the less fun it becomes. So remember, always wear a condom while playing Warhammer - I've got mine on now."
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-08, 06:07 PM

Mad King George's Flag is: Ukraine

mass fire power i believe is the best way but if you can get some terminators to deep strike in the rear armor your sorted, but considering skimmers are fast manoverable you will hardly get the rear armor unless you have a skimmer too or bikes

Space Wolves
W-L-D
4-1-0
Biel Tan
W-L-D
0-0-0

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-08, 06:17 PM
demon of greed's Flag is: England

assault marines with melta bombs? as they are alowed to deepstrike posably with a dreadnought for suport(comes in drop pod), ive never actualy played eldar in a high enough point game for them to use tanks/ skimmers just a vibro cannon which seemed to do alot of damage lol

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-08, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Eldar skimmers are something that elicit groans whenever they hit the table...
Man its all too true... I have decided to play less skimmers just because they arise the now popular phrase "I F****** hate the Eldar...". Anyway, lots of fire can at least shake the skimmers, in the case of the Fireprism thats all you need. But, the strength of the Falcons and Waveserpents are the fact that they can transport and protect units (thats all they are good for really). Everyone fears a squad of Firedragons or Harlequin coming at them when there is no way to stop it Although the lucky roles do come up and when they do, there is a mass load of points down the drain. But that doesnt happen all that often making any of the eldar skimmers well worth the buy.

"Bide your time and hold out hope"
-The Count of Monte Cristo
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-08, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Daemon, meltabombs will be hard because it's 6+ to hit a moving skimmer in assault, and even then it's not penetration that's the problem.

The problem is even if you have a half dozen lascannons, it's neigh impossible to shoot them down. Best you can do is shake them up a little, thanks to all their defensive systems. (Holo-field means when rolling for penetration you roll twice and pick the lowest, spirit stones convert stunned to shaken, vectored thrusters mean an immobilization doesn't kill them if they're moving fast...and of course, skimmers moving fast means you can only ever glance them)

Something I want to try with my orks is the Grabbin Klaw. It's a vehicle upgrade that lets me pull up alongside another vehicle and keep it from moving for a turn. I might put one on the wagon full of tankbustas...though slapping them on cheap, expendable trukks might be good too

"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-08, 01:22 AM

MarzM's Flag is: Scotland

Well since you mentoned Railguns i take it your using Tau. If thats the case i would say your in a good position to stop Eldar skimmers.

First of all, take Piranhas and close off the back doors, then hit them with as many deathrains has you can get you hands on. All those S7 shots kick in sooner or later and if the tank cant shoot and the troops cant get out, it's one useless taxi! lol

MarzM

MarzM
Prince of the Grigori
"Sententia professio meus pugna securis quod ornamentum of bellum" 51:20
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-08, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Actually, Marz, the 'versus' threads are for everyone to discuss their methods of taking down the given target (check out the rules and ideas sticky), I mentioned railguns because there's been a rash of "Well, if you're playing Tau just shoot it with railguns til it goes away." solutions. Valid, perhaps, but not exciting to hear for the 5th time in a row.

Good advice though, and fresh. Good to see the piranhas come out.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-08, 02:07 AM

Steel Rain's Flag is: USA

Are we talking about Eldar doing the JSJ thing too? That changes the tactic a bit if they do that

Quote:
*sigh* I have to point out that despite what you see in games, lasrifles win wars. Just because lasrifles suck at killing superhuman killing machines in power armor does not mean that they are bad weapons. You are shooting them at the wrong targets. The most common enemy the Imperium faces is lightly armored humans armed with lasguns or autoguns, NOT SPACE MARINES.
-me
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-08, 02:29 AM

Autocannons... first turn shots, first turn indirect fire (damn you IG)

Railguns, seems like a bit of a waste, but will keep them shaken

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode