How to deal with super Hive Tyrant - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-10, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
papercutdan's Flag is: USA

Default How to deal with super Hive Tyrant

My friend plays a hive tyrant with wings and gives it almost everything. When it comes to Chaos I cannot think of a unit that could reliably kill it. Thousandsons can do a wound to it on average per 10 shots and the daeomon prince could keep it busy for a while with mark of tzeenth. I think he gives it a bonesword and lash whip so either way i would strike last. In my Space Wolves army my longfangs useally make short work of him but havocs seem too expensive to be worth it.
If you would help me it would be awesome

We may be few and our enemies many. Yet so long as there remains one of us still fighting, one who still rages in the name of justice and truth, then by the Allfather, the galaxy shall yet know hope" -Ragnar Blackmane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-10, 09:43 AM

Jackinator's Flag is: United Kingdom

If you have experience of a devastator-esque unit beng effective then why not try it out? Personally I've always found that 20 or 30 bolters always tend to do the trick, not much walking away from 40-60 bolter shots at close range, it's the bane of my mates hive tyrant.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-10, 10:06 AM

bishop5's Flag is: United Kingdom

Chosen with lots of plasma weaponry in a rhino?

Tactica: Infantry Platoons
Quote:
Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.
Orson Welles
Forum Rules

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-10, 10:38 AM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

My thoughts as well! Nothing works better than a load of plasma to the face.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-10, 10:45 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

....you don't think 10 plasma gun shots can kill it?.....How about 20. Not good enough, how about for the low low cost of 406 points. What is this super unit you may ask? ITS 2 GOD DAMN 6 MAN CHOSEN SQUAD CAMPING IN A RHINO TILL THE DAMN THING FLYS INTO RANGE. Seriously if its causing that much damn trouble why didn't chosen jump of the page when you where looking for a counter to a MC.

Not good enough for you how about a ten man berzerker squad waiting within your formation hmmm, I bet that would put the fear of khorne in the damn space bug. Hell for 260 points you can just dual charge him with 2 bare bones DP's and hit him with 10 str7 MC attacks. Damn if you want to make sure the thing is dead put warp time, and mark of Slaanesh on the DP's so he has no chance in hell of surviving the charge.

Continuing the rant: I mean come on out of all the races chaos has probably the most counters to MC out there with the ability to spam assault weapons, and crasing powerful assault choices (Over costed, but powerful). Hell one guaranteed way to screw up a MC day is to just camp khornate PF termies in your line, and screen out the chaff till he has to send in the MC's (Just make sure you A- have more ranged fire power then him so he is forced to seek out CC, and B- make sure crap like genestealers is delegated to stuff like Khornate marines ext.)

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come

Last edited by LukeValantine; 12-30-10 at 10:54 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-10, 03:34 PM

Hive Tyrant has no invul save...and it's only i5. Just attack it with something with equal or higher i or shoot it with ap3 weapons. It can't take it's armored shell upgrade to give it a 2+ save if it has wings. It's not hard to kill at all with Wings.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-10, 03:58 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Krak missiles, power fists, plasmaguns, Nurgle DPs, there are lost of things that will kill a winged Tyrant as have already been mentioned. They really aren't that tough.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-10, 05:03 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

I value does not matter. The OP has clearly stated that it has a lash whip so you will always strike last.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-10, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
papercutdan's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeValantine View Post
....you don't think 10 plasma gun shots can kill it?.....How about 20. Not good enough, how about for the low low cost of 406 points. What is this super unit you may ask? ITS 2 GOD DAMN 6 MAN CHOSEN SQUAD CAMPING IN A RHINO TILL THE DAMN THING FLYS INTO RANGE. Seriously if its causing that much damn trouble why didn't chosen jump of the page when you where looking for a counter to a MC.

Not good enough for you how about a ten man berzerker squad waiting within your formation hmmm, I bet that would put the fear of khorne in the damn space bug. Hell for 260 points you can just dual charge him with 2 bare bones DP's and hit him with 10 str7 MC attacks. Damn if you want to make sure the thing is dead put warp time, and mark of Slaanesh on the DP's so he has no chance in hell of surviving the charge.

Continuing the rant: I mean come on out of all the races chaos has probably the most counters to MC out there with the ability to spam assault weapons, and crasing powerful assault choices (Over costed, but powerful). Hell one guaranteed way to screw up a MC day is to just camp khornate PF termies in your line, and screen out the chaff till he has to send in the MC's (Just make sure you A- have more ranged fire power then him so he is forced to seek out CC, and B- make sure crap like genestealers is delegated to stuff like Khornate marines ext.)
That you this was actually really helpful. Unfortunatly I fear Warptime will not be as effective because of the shadow of the warp which could possibly end up making me kill myself. Do you think taking a psychic power is even worth it I think he will have a lot of synaps with a Tyrant, Trygon (Prime probably), Tervigon, and Shrike Warriors. Also giving it MoS is useless for he stikes last anyway. I am thinking possibly Tzeentch to give me a better save or just no mark at all.

Would a squad of Chosen with Meltas be better than plasmas? I mean sure you get 5 less shots but they can potentially insta death the warriors on a 3+ 2+

We may be few and our enemies many. Yet so long as there remains one of us still fighting, one who still rages in the name of justice and truth, then by the Allfather, the galaxy shall yet know hope" -Ragnar Blackmane

Last edited by papercutdan; 12-30-10 at 08:05 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-10, 08:49 PM

bishop5's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercutdan View Post
Would a squad of Chosen with Meltas be better than plasmas? I mean sure you get 5 less shots but they can potentially insta death the warriors on a 3+ 2+
Killing T4 with a 4+ save isn't that hard for a Chaos army. Marines in close combat will do it, or boltguns.

Plasma is better because of the high RoF as the Tyranid MC's have lots of wounds.
Melta is a rule that you'll never get to use against Tyranids - if you want to instant kill Warriors then use a demolisher cannon or krak missiles.

Tactica: Infantry Platoons
Quote:
Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.
Orson Welles
Forum Rules

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode