Well take some advice from a user of the big nasty beasts. I personally use the Tzeentch Daemon Prince with Wings Warptime and Wind of Chaos in almost every game I play. This is a little expensive running at 205 points, but I find he pays for himself about 90% of the time. Even though my big fun friend pays for himself I find he dies about 95% of the time. He is always the favored target in my army. (I thought about painting him in a Bullseye pattern.)
Now most of the comments so far have been talking about putting big heavy shots into a Daemon Prince with weapons such as Lascannons and Multi-meltas. Well I have to tell you from experience (at least the Tzeentch experience) that the Daemon Prince will win that encounter every time. Thousand sons are the same way. I always find my opponent firing his most powerful weapons at my Tzeentch troops and Daemon Princes, to which I always sit there thinking to myself that my opponent must either be ignorant of the power of the mighty 4+ invulnerable save, or he is just loony. Think if you play space marines actually how many Lascannons it will statistically take to kill a Daemon Prince (at least a Tzeentch one). Firstly he has a 4+ invulnerable save which means you will statistically have to wound him 8 times for him to die. Now that does not mean you only need 8 Lascannons (and for anyone that plays space marines you know how expensive even 8 Lascannons can be, even missiles which do the same thing are still expensive. I am just using the Lascannon reference because most vehicles can not take missiles but can take Lascannons). Now a Space Marine player knows that you hit on a 3+ which means you hit 2/3 of the time, and a Lascannon wounds on a 2+ which works 5/6 of the time. Now if you do the calculation that means 55.5% of your Lascannon shots will actually cause a wound on a Daemon Prince. Now since the save of a Daemon Prince (Tzeentch) is 50% that takes your 55.5% chance of wounding the Prince down to a mere 27.75%. Thats about a 1 in 4 Lascannnon shots are actually going to take a wound off of him. So statistically if you want a kill, you have to fire 15-16 Lascannon shots into him just to drop the 1 Daemon Prince, and remember this is with the mighty BS of 4 with a strength 9 weapon. If you are a guard player you need even more Lascannons.
Honestly who builds their army with 16 Lascannons? If you say that you do you must love guns or are playing an insane amount of points. All of that firepower is wasted anyway because if you are playing any type of fair game, there is going to be some cover for the Daemon Prince to hide behind, so you will not always get to shoot him. Also all of your firepower going into the Daemon Prince is making it so the rest of the Chaos army is untouched, and even though the Berzerkers got screwed in the new codex compared to how they were, a 10 man squad is still 40 WS5 S5 I5 attacks, that will hurt almost anything they decide to attack.
Now if you really want the key to killing a Daemon Prince there are a few ways. Listed in the order of most effective IMO.
1. Rapid fire weapons. It doesn't matter if it is a plasma-gun or a flashlight, if it can wound the Daemon shoot it at him. Even the mighty Daemon Princes find it hard take 100 strength 3 shots. Even though statistically 100 strength 3 shots fired at BS3 will only cause 8-9 wounds, that still will shave off some of his wounds. Then when he only has 1-2 wounds left thats when you fire the "Big Guns." Also I did the calculation for Bolters from Space Marines and they will knock a wound off 3.7% of the time (and that is actually against the Nurgle T6 Daemon Prince). The percentage is 7.4% against the Tzeentch, Slaanesh, and Khorne Daemon Prince. Which for the Tzeentch/Slaanesh/Khorne Daemon Prince that is 55 Bolter shots to kill him.
2. Resilience. I personally find that my Thousand sons can stand up to all sorts of powerful foes in close combat. The reason is that they have amazing invulnerable saves. So if you really want to throw a Daemon Prince off his game, throw the most durable thing in your army against him (NOT VEHICLES!). Really anything with an invulnerable save will do the trick, as long as your guys will survive a few turns it is a win against the Daemon Prince even if they don't kill him. Also try to have that unit be fearless so they don't get Swept away by the advancing Daemon Prince.
3. Monstrous Creatures. If you have Monstrous Creatures of your own they do wonders against the Daemon Prince. However you must be prepared to lose your guy too. They usually end up killing each other. Oh and if you play Eldar throw a Wraithlord at him. He will need 6's to wound, and that makes it nearly impossible to kill the Wraithlord in 1 or sometimes even 2 turns. Yes this is like #2 but the Monstrous creature has a good chance of killing the Daemon Prince by itself with only a few attacks compared to a full squad of guys.
4. Swarms. Well what can you say about the classic other than you are going to lose a bunch of guys, but eventually you will kill it. Just hope that the other Chaos don't come help out their fearless leader, because then you will just lose a bunch of guys.
5. Balls. Take it like a man and just attack. Hey even though your Fire warriors completely blow in Close Combat it is statistically possible to hurt him. I know from experience that even Eldar Warp Spiders in Close Combat can hurt Daemons. Just ask my Greater Daemon that got killed by 4 Warp Spiders.... in Close Combat!
6. And lastly I will put in, "Just shooting him with all your Big guns," but I do say again, this, in my experience, is the worst way of taking down a Daemon Prince because it is not at all cost effective and you rarely even have the firepower to actually accomplish this anyway before he gets to you, and again if you do have the shots to do this you will probably still have to deal with the rest of the Chaos army which is often nothing to laugh at.
Hope this helps anyone that has to face one of these beasts.
And remember "Statistics are often cruel and unusual, but they are rarely wrong."
I'm watching you.
Last edited by bobinatorect; 03-29-08 at 10:34 AM.