CSM 600 point against Nids - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-08, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Damocles's Flag is: USA

Default CSM 600 point against Nids

So my friend and I are literally just starting out in 40k. We've read the codex's and he's picked tyrannids and I've picked chaos.

We're starting off with just buying two squads and an HQ, as is recommended by the books.

For 600 points, this is what I have for dealing with him.

HQ

Dark Apostle (Sorceror)
Terminator Armor, Twin Linked Bolter, Force weapon
Wind of Chaos
Combi-Weapon (Flamer)

Chaos Space Marines Squad (10)
Aspiring Champion
Power Fist for AC
Twin-Linked Bolter for AC
Missile Launcher
Flamer

Khorne Berzerkers Squad (10)
Skull Champion
Power Weapon

Clearly it's a ton of blast and template weapons, with the berzerkers being used to tie him up long enough for the shooty group to take him down.

He's got a tyrant, gaunt squad and genestealer squad to work with.

Any thoughts everyone?

Last edited by Damocles; 03-26-08 at 01:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-08, 01:37 AM

Before anyone else can warn you, take off the +whatevers. GW frowns on that stuff. Stupid bs GW rules.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-08, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Eek, fixed. I just copy/pasted from my notepad doc where I was working the numbers out. Good catch Insanity.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-08, 01:48 AM

You do realize that you can't shoot into combat, so if your berserkers are in combat then your guns are useless on that squad.
And in low points games its easy to get all your shots blocked by combat.

Fear the Harvest.

4000 pts of Hivefleet Demeter(3300+ so far)
Watch my progress!

2000 pts of Kau'ui Kunas'Ka (1500 so far)
Learn about Kau'ui Kunas'Ka and it's Shas'O
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-08, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I do realize that. I'm just hoping to theoritically tie up his genestealers with my berzerkers while my CSM squad guns down his other units. The genestealers and the tyrant are the big threat I think, so they're priority to be taken down. Plus the CSM are decent in CC so if it turns into a full on CC game then I should be okay (as long as I can thin his numbers with a missile or two before the whole mess starts).

Is my logic completely off here or is that right?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-08, 12:53 PM
Regwon's Flag is: United Kingdom

genestealers will tear berzerkers to shreads in combat unless the squad is only 5 models or something. youll also have trouble killing his T6 tyrant with most of your guys only being S4. think about giving a powerfist to your skull champion so that he hits a little harder.

for your sorcerer if you give him mark of nurgle and nurgle's rot, not only does he become a lot harder to kill but with their poor armour your opponents gaunts and stealers will die in droves to the psycic power.

if you remove wind of chaos and the combi flamer from your sorcerer you can give him mark of nurgle and nurgles rot and if you remove the twin-linked bolter from your aspiring champion (not really needed) and the flamer (ranged weapons are better here) then you can afford to give your skull champion a powerfist instead of a power weapon (4 S8 attacks is very good)

really your tactic should be stand there and shoot his genestrealers so that when they charge you there wont be enough left to cause any serious damage. when his army gets you, you should be able to take his charge without too much trouble and then counter charge with your berzerkers with devastating effect.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-08, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I've considered switching to MoN and nurgle's rot. Only problem of course is that a Word Bearers army with a MoN lord is a little.... odd.

Also, does the force weapon that the sorcerer has count as an instant death weapon when it's used to kill an opponent or is that a stand alone sort of rule? It doesn't specifically say, "Instant Death" just says it kills despite the number of wounds.

I certainly wanted to give my skull champ a power fist, it's just so damn expensive. I guess him getting Inititative 1 won't really matter in this case, since he's going to go last against those Inititative 6 stealers unless I get some cover anyway.

He's only running with about a dozen stealers and a dozen gaunts (since he only bought one box of each) so he doesn't seriously outnumber me.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-08, 10:30 PM

Horus's Hat's Flag is: USA

I'd give your Sorceror the Mark of T, Using two powers a turn can turn the tide quite easily.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-08, 12:58 AM

take the twin linked bolter off your AC
Give the Berzerker squad a powerfist
You'll need to use the fists or some plasma to take out the hive tyrant if he's got the 2+ armor save. They can be difficult to take out

So Tyranid synapse makes them immune to Instant Death. Force weapons do not function by instant death, they simply strip all wounds off a model (and it dies). So to the best of my knowledge, Force weapons work on Tyranids. But now consider this, the hive tyrant has 6 toughness so your sorcerer would wound him on a 6. Not so great.

Two sorcerer powers would be nice but in 600 pts you should focus on troops

Also do not let his genestealers attack your Berzerkers that is a terrible idea. Stay away from those things and shoot them with all the bolters you've got, gaunts are harmless in comparison. Chaos Space Marines are tough troops and you can dispatch locked gaunts easily enough, they wound you on 5 and you get a 3+ armor save. It's the rends from a dozen genestealers attacking first that will do you in. 12 genestealers charging = 36 attacks = 6 rends = 6 Khorne berzerkers DEAD before you get to retaliate... and then there's the non-rending attacks too.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-08, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

So what it basically comes down to is I *have* to take down the majority of his units at ranged or I'm completely screwed? Also, it seems like damn near everything with multiple wounds is immune to instant death in this game, so what's the point, honestly? I guess it's good for bringing down space marine commanders and such, but still.

Burn down the stealers, then worry about the gaunts. That sounds easy enough in theory. I have a feeling this is going to be much easier once my army has some ordinance fire huh...

Alas, it seems like there's no melee counter for stealers in the chaos army. I assumed that berzerkers are our best troop melee unit, so it seemed logical to use them as a counter. I guess looking at the numbers... that doesn't work out unless I have cover and get the 10 initiative.

Do 'nids get any sort of cover counter like the marine's frag grenades or is cover my best bet for dealing with them?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode