Land Raider Redeemer, or Crusader?! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Eastern Potent

Lord Sven Kittyclaw's Flag is: Canada

Default Land Raider Redeemer, or Crusader?!

So, I am getting a landraider, now I am torn between the firepower of a Crusader, or the Template MeQ eating awesome of the redeemer.

I am leaning towards the redeemer, but for one problem, the template is 9" So the optimal killing range is around 6-8" but if I leave only even a few squad members of the enemy alive, Im looking at getting charged with a Powerclaw/fist/chainfist or being in optimum melta range. Which is a problem.

But the Crusader seems to be higher in the "Win" department, it doesnt have any Ap 3, true, but it has a high volume of firepower.

Thoughts?

Note: This wont be used as a transport vehicls, at least for now, so dont consider the transporting aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I'll update from Prisoner Cell Block Nerd when they extradite me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 10:46 AM

if i was taking an assault unit such as TH/SS termies i'd take a redeemer, anything the flamestorm cannons don't kill the termies should be able to mop up. It's also 10 pts cheaper than a crusader which means you can fit a multimelta for a little extra tank busting if you choose.

I guess it depends on what you're transporting but i can't say i like the crusader myself but that could just be due to the way i would use it.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 11:08 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sven Kittyclaw View Post
I am leaning towards the redeemer, but for one problem, the template is 9" So the optimal killing range is around 6-8" but if I leave only even a few squad members of the enemy alive, Im looking at getting charged with a Powerclaw/fist/chainfist or being in optimum melta range. Which is a problem
Yeah, you sort of answered your own question here. The Redeemer has more potential to inflict heavy damage in a single turn on MEQs (and most other targets) but is brutally vulnerable to many of the most dangerous weapons after doing so. Since you're not going to bother using the Raider as a transport and instead intend to use it as a gun platform, there's no need to use a vehicle that requires that you get so close. Much better to stay further back and stay alive. In fact, I'd actually suggest a normal Land Raider over either the Crusader or Redeemer for this role, but if it comes down to the two variants, grab the Crusader.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 11:47 AM

i'm a complete spoon and missed the no transport thingy, but i still wouldn't use a crusader as a gun platform, i mean 6 TL boltguns and a tl assault cannon for 250pts?

a standard raider would be more useful with 2 TLLC i reckon
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 12:43 PM

Nyustukyi's Flag is: USA

Int he role of assaulting normal Land Raider. As for the purposed question, Redeemer. Personally, I am going to run 2 Cursaders and Redeemer/Normal depending on how I feel. Of cOurse I need transports and shooty stuff so.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 02:52 PM

The Thunder of KayVaan's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm placing my vote on Redeemer. 6" move, fire one cannon, POTMS other cannon = lots of dead marines.

Index Astartes: The Forgotten Hunters
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums ...ad.php?t=75470
"Don't forget to check your teabag for pockets of coffee"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 03:47 PM

Ultra111's Flag is: England

I would only take the redeemer if you are transporting assault terminators. Send the redeemer in, fire, terminators disembark and assault. Sorted.

As for LR that aren't transporting, a crusader unleashes a massive 4 S6 AP4 shots, 18 S5 AP4 shots, all twin-linked. Nothing able to instant death marines, but the sheer amount of firepower is bound to bring a lot of marines down. It lacks obvious anti-tank capabilities though.

A normal LR gets 3 S5 AP4 shots, and 2 S9 AP2 shots, all twin-linked. If you shoot at infantry, I think the crusader will kill more marines, even though it won't ID, due to the sheer amount of fire. The normal LR is obviously better at popping heavy armour though.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 04:48 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

For a gunline tank get a standard raider. Or if allowed an achilles.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 05:09 PM

Mathai's Flag is: USA

Since you arent considering the transport aspect, I wont talk about it. Though Land Raiders ARE just big taxis in my book.

My playtime with the Crusader for my Grey Knights has me feel that, transport asside, you should go with the Redeemer. The crusader has always been a good support gun platform for me after dropping its Terminators, but on its own I dont want to pay 250 some odd points for support. Conversely, I have played against Redeemers before, and its always something I have to worry about. It can ignore everything except invulnerable saves most of the time, and that is scary. I myself would never play it by running it straight down the middle to stop the oponnenrt's main push, but instead get into their back lines and heavy weapons then wreak havoc there.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 05:20 PM

Ultra111's Flag is: England

Only problem with redeemers and no terminators to assault after is if you don't kill every model you open yourself up to assault. A warboss with PK could do it fairly well, and then you can say goodbye to a lot of points.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode