Space Marine Units-What's Worth Taking? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thunder of KayVaan View Post
Dude, He also has a bolt pistol if i read the unit thing right
y'know what, your absolutely right. doesn't make sense unless... they wanted people to be able to use the chapter champion that comes as part marneus calgars retinue. the model for him has a power sword and combat blade doesn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 09:27 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzleydill View Post
They decided to make space marines in a way where you really had to take a special character because they wanted a herohammer codex.
This is wrong.

There's nothing remotely Herohammer about 40K nowadays. Not one special character can chop its way through an entire army with impunity if the opposing player knows what s/he's doing. Even Mephiston the character who everyone loves to hate is stopped relatively easily.

Quote:
However after that they got carried away in codex escalation for IG/SW and now took us down a path of no return. When I proxy for space marines (which is often because of my dislike of the new BA codex) the only normal HQ I even bother with is the chaplain because of how he can boost up a squad like terminators or assualt squads. The librarian had better powers in 4th.
This is wrong too. 5th edition Codecies are balanced against one another nicely. Codex Creep died in 4th. Please don't spread this sort of misinformation.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

I quite like the current codex. I certainly feel that there is no codex creep. Sure there are ways to get better stuff like abusing twin linked melta and flamer weaponry thanks to vulkan.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-10, 12:52 AM

Katie is spot on. The good characters enhance the army they're in rather than being an army on his own. Tellion buffs scouts (and only costs, what, 30 points if you were going to buy cloaks for them already?), A biker captain opens up bikes as troops, Vulcan makes MMs and flamers as a theme work and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
I'm probably going to follow my usual Eldar tactic of driving around the table "circling and screaming 'I don't give a fuck' with my windows down and system up" and avoiding anything that looks scary.
Her(?) name may be slightly inapropriate, but she just needs love! And I just need to eat your face!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-10, 01:31 AM

Lord Pestilice's Flag is: USA

2nd Edition 40k = Herohammer....I remember those days of having to buy an army to tie up enemy heroes until mine could get to them and kill them. Fond memories.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-10, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Was that when practically every marine player ran around with terminator armoured librarians with thunder hammers?

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-10, 09:49 PM

MaidenManiac's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman View Post
Was that when practically every marine player ran around with terminator armoured librarians with thunder hammers?
Force Weapons were more kick ass then THs back then, but other SM characters in TDA with TH+SS were real kick ass dudes

Also the 40k version of Herohammer will always be a pale comparison to the Warhammer version. 5th ed WHFB characters could give brutal a whole new level of meaning....

Win/Draw/Loss(5th ed results)
EC: 45/2/12
Tau: 28/3/7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Common sense and wargamers are like oil and water
Quote:
'Alessio is to 40k what impotence is to rape.' - Jezlad
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-10, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Finished writing the HQ choices, enjoy!

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 07:30 AM

Azrell's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman View Post
I quite like the current codex. I certainly feel that there is no codex creep. Sure there are ways to get better stuff like abusing twin linked melta and flamer weaponry thanks to vulkan.
No codex creep? Tell that to a Dark Angel player... or better yet explain to me why Space puppies get a Libby that's cheaper and has more options than a standard codex chapter, without even comparing the powers. Its not cuz of the fluff, because SW hate psykers.

Codex creep is still there, they are just doing a better job of letting you play out of a codex several different ways instead of getting one good build out of each.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 08:27 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrell View Post
No codex creep? Tell that to a Dark Angel player...
Codex: Dark Angels was written during 4th edition. Naturally it isn't going to work all that well in 5th. Even Daemons, the last Codex published during 4th came out sucks in 5th.

Quote:
or better yet explain to me why Space puppies get a Libby that's cheaper and has more options than a standard codex chapter, without even comparing the powers. Its not cuz of the fluff, because SW hate psykers.
First, Rune Priests cost the same as Codex Librarians (or Blood Angel Librarians, for that matter). Secondly, Rune Priest psychic powers aren't better, they're different. Codex Marine psychic powers are more about supporting other units than just outright killing stuff. In fact, the Blood Angels have the most "killy" psychic powers out of the 5th edition batch (though that's sort of another topic). Null Zone is fantastic, as is Gate to Infinity and Machine Curse. Space Wolves get Living Lightning (which is great), Jaws (which is awesome against some armies and worthless against others) and Murderous Hurricane (as Jaws).

Quote:
Codex creep is still there, they are just doing a better job of letting you play out of a codex several different ways instead of getting one good build out of each.
Just because a Codex can support multiple builds... wait, what? This isn't even the same thing. A Codex that can support multiple builds isn't necessarily more powerful than one that's a mono-build... okay, I can't even formulate a response to the quoted idea as it doesn't even make sense.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode