Using Abaddon the Despoiler? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Using Abaddon the Despoiler?

Hey everyone.

Now, for a guy who has a special character tactica in his signature this is slightly embarrasing, but how the heck are you supposed to use Abaddon?

I'm working on eventually getting a 2000pt army (I have 1500 worth of models) and I want Abaddon to be the centre piece either as himself or a counts as warlord. But how the heck can you use him lol?

He is 275 points and there is no way I'm using a Land Raider as its an extra 220pts and makes the list rely on a deathstar set-up. So this only leaves realistically the option of deepstriking him with x3-4 Terminator buddies (which are already in my 1500 list anyway). I'm running a Daemon Prince at 1000/1500 so removing that and adding Abaddon minimises the extra points cost to only 100 more and as I said I run the 3 Terminators anyway at both levels.

So is he viable? Would anybody care to share experiences using Abaddon?

Also just a heads up, if you want to contribute by saying he sucks I can't stop you, but I'm just trying to figure a way to make the model work. I already kind of know that x2 Daemon Princes would be better and almost as expensive.

Last edited by D-A-C; 11-11-10 at 03:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 03:27 PM
Eastern Potent

Lord Sven Kittyclaw's Flag is: Canada

Well, To be honest, I know you dont want to run the raider, but it is the only surefire way to make his points.

If you footslog him, he will just get avoided and blown to pieces.

If you DS him, you could lose him into a piece of terrain, or enemy, no more Abaddon. Or there is also the fact you deepstrike into what is probably rabid fire range, and every heavy weapon, assualt, melta, and shell the enemy has is going into him and his buddies.
Not conducive for long life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I'll update from Prisoner Cell Block Nerd when they extradite me.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sven Kittyclaw View Post
Well, To be honest, I know you dont want to run the raider, but it is the only surefire way to make his points.
Good point but I don't think you need models to 'make back their points worth' if they contribute to winning the game and aiding the effectiveness of other units. Maybe make the list around him so that his DSing contributes to the overall strategy of the army?

Also I wouldn't say that you just deepstrike him into the middle of the enemy like a regular Termicide, maybe DS him onto a unit with an Icon to aid the taking of a table quarter or side?

I can understand the Land Raider argument, but that makes the model 495pts by itself and is too expensive even for 2500ptgames IMO.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 03:46 PM
Eastern Potent

I get the points back arguement, thats the view I hold. however, You want him to do SOMETHING, and the landraider is the best way to ensure it. Also, dont look at the land raider as just means of getting him from Point A to point B. It is still a deadly tank, and powerful enough to cause big dents on it's own.

The Icon Idea isnt bad however.

Quote:
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 03:48 PM

Abaddon isn't as much of a one hit wonder as you may think.

You want to avoid the LR transport? I think you're (from a DE player view) missing out on one hell of a trick here.

Place him and 4 cheapo terminator mates (just MoK would do) in a landraider and deploy on one flank.
This costs just over 600 points, and out of 2.5k, you're still left with 1900ish.

Automatically, your opponent will do 1 of 2 things. Ignore/avoid abaddon OR focus on destroying him. That means getting through a LR and 4 termies first.
Both options give you the advantage of either having your opponent head down that flank, or avoiding it entirely.
Thus allowing you control of his deployment/early movement.

Most players (statistically) will favour the right hand side of the board. This it will be his stronger flank. Just bare this inmind when deciding what flank to place Abaddon on.

When the opponent shifts to or away your advance with Abaddon, you can counteract accordingly.
Fast units of KBs in Rhinos would be great at harrying and placing high pressure on his exposed flank.

600 points out of 2500 to control how your opponent moves and sets up isn't a high cost at all.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sven Kittyclaw View Post
I get the points back arguement, thats the view I hold. however, You want him to do SOMETHING, and the landraider is the best way to ensure it. Also, dont look at the land raider as just means of getting him from Point A to point B. It is still a deadly tank, and powerful enough to cause big dents on it's own.

The Icon Idea isnt bad however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi View Post
Abaddon isn't as much of a one hit wonder as you may think.

You want to avoid the LR transport? I think you're (from a DE player view) missing out on one hell of a trick here.

Place him and 4 cheapo terminator mates (just MoK would do) in a landraider and deploy on one flank.
This costs just over 600 points, and out of 2.5k, you're still left with 1900ish.

Automatically, your opponent will do 1 of 2 things. Ignore/avoid abaddon OR focus on destroying him. That means getting through a LR and 4 termies first.
Both options give you the advantage of either having your opponent head down that flank, or avoiding it entirely.
Thus allowing you control of his deployment/early movement.

Most players (statistically) will favour the right hand side of the board. This it will be his stronger flank. Just bare this inmind when deciding what flank to place Abaddon on.

When the opponent shifts to or away your advance with Abaddon, you can counteract accordingly.
Fast units of KBs in Rhinos would be great at harrying and placing high pressure on his exposed flank.

600 points out of 2500 to control how your opponent moves and sets up isn't a high cost at all.
Ok folks I think we are actually getting somewhere here.

Right, one problem is its at 2000pt level I'm discussing at 2500 its alot easier IMO to use him.

I think maybe using him with a scoring unit and putting him in a LR might be viable; as you say that unit basically is 1/3 of the deployment zone covered. Also because Abaddon has an icon, the termicide unit and lesser daemons I use could always deepstrike onto him and his table side if he is running into trouble.

Only trouble is is that I use vanilla marines and I hate losing that 2nd special weapon when reducing the squad to 9.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 04:04 PM
Eastern Potent

hmm..Well I wouldnt recommend running him in a vanilla squad, because he belongs in an assault, and other units can assault better then 'nilla marines.

Quote:
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 04:09 PM

Use my idea, but at 2k, put him with KBs.

This makes the unit scoring and as one of probably 3-4 scoring units in your army, a threat he MUST deal with, or focus EVERYTHING on the other scoring units.

It's all about control. Control what he shoots at, control where he moves. Game is yours.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 04:51 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

i honestly wouldnt use him unless its an apoc game or a friendly where he wouldnt count against points (like if hes going against calgar/etc)

however i have seen some1 run him in a very interesting 2k list, it was 40 PMs (champs & gear) with rhinos, abaddon & like 7 MoN termies DSing. he did fairly well but it IS a 1 shot style of play. not sure if your interested in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 04:56 PM

louisshli's Flag is: Hong Kong

I totally agree w/ Orochi. Special characters have many advantages besides throwing them into the heat of an assault. They give your opponent something extra to think about, be it in deployment, movement, shooting &/or assaulting. Also, the way you control your special character(s) during the game will at most times pull your opponent's focus away from some of your seemingly less dangerous units. This will allow your troops to better capture objectives or leave one of their units exposed in the open where your heavy support(s) can mow them down while they attempt to assault your special character.

Although I'm not a Chaos player, but I can easily see the Sanguinor from BA being used the same way. Points-wise they both cost the same but the benefit of Abaddon over the golden boy is that he's independent, so you can protect him by a retinue or Terminator bodyguards.

Special characters, while being center-piece models in your army shouldn't be considered as almighty and expected/relied on to win you the game. Their presence usually allows your regular units to do their job better....

It'll take a really good round of shooting to take out Abaddon, and that's considering your opponent focusing all on him. So think about the freedom your other units will have during this time.... and position wisely.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode